The Great Wall

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: The Great Wall

Post by Oktokolo »

Wow, that is wasting so much stone. I never needed any walls behind my turrets.
As you seem to be really cautious when it comes to defense, you might want to use burner inserters for feeding the turrets so they keep firing in case of a blackout.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Oktokolo wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:18 pm
As you seem to be really cautious when it comes to defense, you might want to use burner inserters for feeding the turrets so they keep firing in case of a blackout.
How would a burner inserter help with ammo? It may be independent of the power grid, and immune to outages of electric power, but you would have to feed it some fuel. Ammo doesn't have a fuel value, though, does it?
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

Belts have two lanes, though :)

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

They do, but you'd have to make sure the second lane is actually loaded with fuel. If the biters can disrupt the distribution of electricity at a remote outpost, why shouldn't they also be able to cut the input of fuel? Unless you mine coal/produce other fuel on site, fuel has to be shipped in and put onto the belt. It's definitely possible to do so, but saying "Play it safe, use burner inserters and you'll never run out of ammo again" seems to be not quite right. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Pi-C wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:59 pm
If the biters can disrupt the distribution of electricity at a remote outpost, why shouldn't they also be able to cut the input of fuel?
If power gets cut, electric inserters stop working immediately. Burner inserters will keep working for some time after a supply chain interruption (especially when running on solid fuel wich could be made near the front line from some of the light oil that gets piped to the flame throwers).
In the case of feeding ammo from a buffer box, using burners gets rid of the only weak point near the front - the power poles.
I often got some poles sniped by suicidal spitters not caring about the turrets shooting them.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

In my experience such a close wall also means the aliens will attack the wall itself. If you leave gaps in the wall though they will navigate through that gap to get at a turret behind the gap. This gives you more time to kill them before they do damage.

PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by PanTobi »

How about my The Great Wall?...

also i was first :o !...
My wall is 0.15.x lol...
This on Left is "SafeGate" - its just wall with Gate :o
This on Right is Regular The Wall

whole book contains:
- The Gate MK1
- The Gate MK2
- The Gate MK16.x
- The Wall MK1
- The Wall MK2 ( this on Right )
- The Wall MK16.x ( this same but with flame turrets )
- The Tower MK1 ( this on Left )
- The Tower MK2
- The Castle ( "safe zone" insane strong and long live structure it have over 30.000 storage for ammo and 10 tanks for fuel and self Reactor !... )
- The Stronghold ( this print have over 100 Laser turrets and 10 radars xD )
- The Tank Center ( only walls, storage for tanks, helicopters, and other stuff )
- The Great House ( only few turrets, mostly chests with weapons and armor )
:o lol...

//Edit: in-game look
i lost my 33 save ( this is 23 save after 370 h of playing )
thats probably the oldest save on the world :D

- i was playing this save on 0.14
- i was playing this save on 0.15
- i was playing this save on 0.16
- i was playing this save on 0.17
and ofc. on 0.16 i lost save from 23 to 47 and idk why but all my save are corrupted
i was trying to fix them with... "WinZip" and something else but nothing works :/... i just can' load my 1500h save xD !...
Click
here is 1/4 of map
Click
What on this SS is missing ?

- Nymph Wall
- Sosnowiec ( my friend city )
- Radom ( my other friend city )
- South Great Wall
- Birist
- East Great Reactor

you can't even see aliens camps :D cause they are pushed far far away from base LOL xD

//Edit2:
here is this same image but with "Location Names" - they may change in time xDDD lol
but there was always Sosnowiec Radom Nexus Nymph Birist and New Hope

The Wall sometimes change name with Great Guardian or Protector :x... lol
Click

rmusk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rmusk »

Didn't Mexico buy the wall from you?)

scooter010
Inserter
Inserter

Post by scooter010 »

Oktokolo wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:27 pm
Pi-C wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:59 pm
If the biters can disrupt the distribution of electricity at a remote outpost, why shouldn't they also be able to cut the input of fuel?
If power gets cut, electric inserters stop working immediately. Burner inserters will keep working for some time after a supply chain interruption (especially when running on solid fuel wich could be made near the front line from some of the light oil that gets piped to the flame throwers).
In the case of feeding ammo from a buffer box, using burners gets rid of the only weak point near the front - the power poles.
I often got some poles sniped by suicidal spitters not caring about the turrets shooting them.
How about putting some Batterie at the outpost sand a circuit Network, weich disabels laser turrets, if Batteries were Usedom?!

Di3zel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Di3zel »

These walls are awesome do you have blueprints you can share?

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”