AWD (Auto Wall Defence) by NAD4X4 - Updated 27/11/2020 V6.1

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
NAD4X4
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

AWD (Auto Wall Defence) by NAD4X4 - Updated 27/11/2020 V6.1

Post by NAD4X4 »

Hi,

Long time lurker, first post :)

I have been working on this for a while now and its at a point where I would like to share it. It's designed to be attached to a main bus and hopefully should see to all your base defence needs from main walls to outposts. Its modular and its in a blueprint book and hopefully should have everything you need.

The main factory just needs to be hooked up to your bus using the connections and it will start to build everything it needs, it has trains in the BP with the orders and these just need setting to automatic.

It has a trash system to deal with trees etc whilst building and anything else that enters the logi network at the walls, you can also use this to recycle wall components if your tearing one down somewhere (a depleted outpost for example) and at the factory it will reuse the components in future construction. If the factory storage is very nearly full it will push it all into your logistic network, it will request it back later if the storage gets low again (it will also request items if you have a lot available in your network that might not be low to top itself up a bit)

When you want to build a new wall you need to have on you what is needed to build the stations themselves, then stamp down the wall sections as required and walk away. the only extra thing you need on you is radars, these are in some of the blueprints but are not made in the factory, you need to have these on you and place manually if you want extra. I like to have full radar coverage on the walls so just place as required when laying the blueprints.

The wall sections have 2 versions, an A and B, this just has the ammo belt reversed for each side of the stations. There is also a 'joiner' section to help finish an enclosed wall round an outpost for example.

There is an Artillery upgrade for the ammo station if your producing artillery shells in your main base network, this can just be placed over the ammo station and it will latch the station until it has 100 shells, you can then place artillery turrets anywhere in the logi network at the wall with a requester chest for the shells.

Thanks for taking a look
Dan
(NAD4X4)

Some example pics:
Main Factory
Main Factory
AWD Factory.JPG (864.47 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
Station Example
Station Example
AWD Station.JPG (242.47 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
Wall Example
Wall Example
AWD Wall Example.JPG (320.13 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
Blueprint (i have attached as txt file as too many characters for the post, sorry if this isn't allowed)
new version below
Last edited by NAD4X4 on Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

cid0rz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: AWD (Auto Wall Defence) by NAD4X4

Post by cid0rz »

Hello, I came across your system in expgamingS3 server, I've been using it and I've to tell you i like it a lot! It is very nice and well polished, really a peace of work! If you want you can go and see on the server I built tons of walls with the system and it was pretty efficient.
Now it comes the but. In this map is huge and when you star using artillery heavily, 1 train for ammo with 1 cargo wagon is not enough. I think such a system for BIG constructions should have its own artillery train, maybe only on the station or even have some kind of rail inside the wall structure so the artillery can go along stopping and "cleaning" around :mrgreen: . Also artillery wagons are much more efficient transporting artillery shells by rail than conventional ones so I'd include a whole system or a "late" upgrade for the artillery, and as I said i would integrate the train in the wall, maybe as an optional version with artillery train in the wall for really long sections. Also when I tried to build a second "base" with its own trains there were a lot of problems. I understand it is now how it was designed. I managed to patch it so there are 2 "working" bases with i think 7 or 8 wall stations.

Then all this got me thinking in the possibility of having an automatic building system, and I realized it was almost set up by you so you realized it. It would be nice that from the station you set a number in a combinator so you can have multiple. Then you poll stations and when one is requesting to build, you fill the train with some loading system that gets the order from the station and send it to the station. for trash and ammo you already have a nice system. Thrash system was specially useful for me since i could send tons of trash to the base without going or manually sending trains.

Also I think the system overall is a bit "slow" for a big build. I mean the loading and unloading the trains and the filtering should be done faster, even if it takes more space. I'd change the loading and unloading of supplies so it could be faster and still exact or almost (the famous stack problem).

So cutting short, I think it is a great idea (I'm jealous i didn't come up with such a clever combination even if I've thought very often in automatic train systems and flexible programmable train stuff) and a very good and clean build and I also think it can be improved to be even better: Ill try to work in some ideas around your design if you don't mind Ill kindly steal all that I like :D. And please if you are working on something or wanna discuss or build together please let me know!

NAD4X4
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NAD4X4 »

Thanks cid0rz, I agree with your points about build speed and artillery, i would like to do artillery better than what it does now. Build speed was a compromise as didn't want the factory or station themselves to become to big, an easy boost is to increase the bots at an outpost (the combinator next to the roboport) and this will help build quicker. Also bot speed will always be good :)

Thanks for your feedback and steal away, that's why I shared it. Would be good to see what you come up with :)

NAD4X4
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NAD4X4 »

Updated to V5.2 now including Artillery Train!

Updated Screen shots:
AWD Factory v5.2.JPG
AWD Factory v5.2.JPG (454.96 KiB) Viewed 8698 times
AWD Station 1 v5.2.JPG
AWD Station 1 v5.2.JPG (312.22 KiB) Viewed 8698 times
Artillery Station.JPG
Artillery Station.JPG (92.3 KiB) Viewed 8698 times
Close up of Artillery Station above, the 2 constant combinators at the top can be changed. M=number of mins between Artillery Train visits (45min default), T=(off by default) turn this on to disable this station for the Artillery Train.

new BP String below:
V6 below
Last edited by NAD4X4 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NAD4X4
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NAD4X4 »

Made a YouTube video to give a quick overview of the AWD blueprint book

Edit: removed old link
Last edited by NAD4X4 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NAD4X4
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: AWD (Auto Wall Defence) by NAD4X4 - Updated 18/08/2020 V6

Post by NAD4X4 »

V6 and hopefully final version, new blueprint book built with different sections for the parts. Also now has outpost templates and will help you build them. Better inventory management, better trash system, better use of logistics network to name a few improvements.

New V6 BP Book -> Updated below

Also on Paste Bin -> https://pastebin.com/NW1QsmFN

Youtube videos done to explain it all:

NAD4X4 Factorio Builds - AWD Part 1 - The Factory

NAD4X4 Factorio Builds - AWD Part 2 - Walls

NAD4X4 Factorio Builds - AWD Part 3 - Outposts

screenshot-tick-717512.jpg
screenshot-tick-717512.jpg (433.85 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
screenshot-tick-749183.jpg
screenshot-tick-749183.jpg (309.03 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
screenshot-tick-730660.jpg
screenshot-tick-730660.jpg (425.58 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
Last edited by NAD4X4 on Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NAD4X4
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: AWD (Auto Wall Defence) by NAD4X4 - Updated 18/08/2020 V6

Post by NAD4X4 »

Updated to v6.1 to make use of new train limits at stations in 1.1.1. Also allowed for dual supply train setup :)

Some other minor improvements and bug fixes

Updated V6.1 BP Book ->
AWD-V6.1-BPstring.txt
(477.34 KiB) Downloaded 170 times

Updated on Paste Bin -> https://pastebin.com/NW1QsmFN

Youtube overview -> https://youtu.be/aTQBqcD1czA

AWD - Duel Main Factory.jpg
AWD - Duel Main Factory.jpg (521.92 KiB) Viewed 5212 times

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: AWD (Auto Wall Defence) by NAD4X4 - Updated 27/11/2020 V6.1

Post by gGeorg »

Looks nice, however when it comes into battle here:
- wall is touching mg turret, it means spitters hit wall and turret by one spit - one square gap is needed
- feeding mg turret rather with long hand inserter for the same reason as above
- dual-triple wall has lower durability than a maze type wall - again same reason are spitters
- flamethrowers need to fed by a side tube from the main tube supply, same reason spiters. your system "all thru" is sensitive to dmg. One pipe destroyed means out of oil for everything.

Your design look nice and tidy, but when get punched it crumbles to quickly.

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”