Rail based Mega Refinery

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Rail based Mega Refinery

Post by zytukin »

picture.jpg
picture.jpg (207.43 KiB) Viewed 9268 times
Mega Refinery

My rail based mega factory kept being limited by the refinery. I made 3 attempts to build a rail based large scale refinery in the fac and failed 3 times. So I decided to start a blank map with the goal of making a rail based mega refinery that would be blueprinted into my factory. After over 150 hours of designing, testing, and tweaking, this is what I came up with. A vanilla refinery of epic proportions that is heavily rail based with no logistics bots or circuit networks and can provide enough resources for a mega factory. The track is designed to limit trains crossing paths. There are separate internal closed rail lines to keep the trains inside the refinery from crossing paths with each other or trains delivering products to and removing products from the refinery. The only train that doesn't follow this standard is the tiny 1-1 fuel train that delivers fuel around inside the refinery. This refinery does not include an area to convert excess PG to Rocket Fuel. The factory I made this for wont be able to supply enough oil to run it at full capacity so I will add that in the factory later on when/if it's needed.

If provided with enough oil, it can produce:
1-2 million heavy oil, light oil, and petroleum gas per min
63k plastic per min
18k Rocket Fuel per min
12k batteries per min

It will consume around 10GW of power and contains:
2.2k chem labs
1.9k assemblers
640 refineries with Production Module 3
52k stack inserters
14k beacons with speed module 3
234 rail stations (152 unique names)
Over 180k sections of rail and 135k express belts
Requires over 500 trains ranging from 2-8 up to 10-64, plus a single 1-1 train to shuttle fuel around

http://www.tuwr.net/~factorio/megarefinery

book string.odt - The book string, you need open office to view it
Contents.jpg - total items needed to build the refinery, not including modules
Picture.jpg - Picture of it.
mega ref.zip - save file, no mods needed. All items are vanilla.

The book string is in the file Book String.odt, it is over 1000 pages long and you need Open Office (free) to view it. I honestly don't even know if the string will work or if the game can handle importing it. Or if you'd rather download the save and try to blueprint it yourself or create your own book, download the Mega Ref.zip file. For ease of blueprinting, there are clusters of 9 solar pads placed in various places as markers that were used when creating the 7 piece blueprint book. As the save file is now it has the trains but is nonoperational, but you can at least see the scheduling to make it easier to set up the refinery in your mega factory if you wish to do so. I initially used the Creative Mode mod to provide testing resources but removed the mod and cleaned up all the track so it's ready to be imported into a proper factory. You could easily create that stuff yourself or even build a fac around the refinery if you want, but I don't know if the map itself can support a fac. I think all resources etc are turned off since I just wanted a blank empty map for creating this giant thing.

Big ingame screenshots

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Rail based Mega Refinery

Post by Bauer »

Well. This is huge. But there is not "too big" in factorio...
nice.

Whataguy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Whataguy »

By the power of Greyskull that's a big factory

Whataguy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Whataguy »

Why isn't there more comments on this post. Its the best build I've ever seen!!!!!

Dragonozor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dragonozor »

bravo for this nice base I built it, what would be nice would be to integrate a video or you show us how it works with a big call on trains. thank you 1000 times

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”