Belt "mega"base (800spm): No bots, no bus, no beacons

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Belt "mega"base (800spm): No bots, no bus, no beacons

Post by vanatteveldt »

I wanted to do something different after concentrating mostly on train-based modular plants. So, celebrating the belts vs bots discussion I wanted to make a belts-based "mega"base, and I thought the following constraints should be fun:

- aim: 800 spm, i.e. one yellow belt of each science pack. It felt more idiomatic than 1000 spm for a belt base, and I'm sure I would have abandoned 1600 or 2400spm due to sheer size.
- no bots. Bots are evil and unfun, right? ;-). Note: I did use a lot of conbots and logibots for the "mall" part of the base, but none for the actual productive part.
- no beacons. Speed+productivity beacons means that you can get an enormous amount of output from a relatively small base, so I wanted the challenge of planning and building a base without beacons. I used some sp1 modules to even out ratios, and I used pr3 modules in the rocket silos and labs (but no beacons).
- no bus / no balancers*. I didn't want to run one huge main bus, if only because it would be silly in size (about 100 belts in total for copper and iron). So, I did a full plan of which part of the factory needs which resource in what amount and did direct routing from smelter to e.g. circuit production to science. I wanted to make every shared intermediate (circuits, gears, engines, sp1) centrally and distribute it to the various plants. Note: I did use balancers for the ores, mostly because trains are difficult to use properly if the wagons are not (un)loaded at the same speed. So, the outposts and smelter stations both had balancers to even the load.
- Trains are only used for ore outposts and for personal transportation. Everything is reachable by train and covered in the logistic network purely for construction and player supplies.

Mods: infinite resources, for the rest only QoL mods (FARL, shuttle trains, etc). Used lua commands to remove ore patches from starting area for aesthetic reasons.
Base overview
production stats and helmod
Link to blueprint book (too big for the forums...): https://gist.githubusercontent.com/vana ... prints.txt
Last edited by vanatteveldt on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Belt "mega"base (800spm): No bots, no bus, no beacons

Post by vanatteveldt »

Some possibly interesting setups:
stations
circuits
science
rockets, satteliets, science
Other designs (LDS, rocket fuel, smelters, gears, etc) are pretty boring, just rows and rows of plants drawing from input and producing output. Feel free to request any more details!

Lonewolf2_0
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Lonewolf2_0 »

just wondering if you have a base save that could look at in more closer detail thank you

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Lonewolf2_0 wrote:just wondering if you have a base save that could look at in more closer detail thank you
Didn't start up factorio, but this should be the save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgtdtztu2icv9 ... 3.zip?dl=0

It uses more mods than needed, I think, but I haven't experimented with that.

Irregulator
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Irregulator »

vanatteveldt wrote:Feel free to request any more details!
Hey there, I know this is an old thread but I'm curious - did you have many issues with belt throughput/inserter throughput? Looking at some of your screenshots, I'm surprised you get enough throughput on some of those basic or even fast transport belts with how many assemblers you have feeding them.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Irregulator wrote:
vanatteveldt wrote:Feel free to request any more details!
Hey there, I know this is an old thread but I'm curious - did you have many issues with belt throughput/inserter throughput? Looking at some of your screenshots, I'm surprised you get enough throughput on some of those basic or even fast transport belts with how many assemblers you have feeding them.
Hey, I'm not that old! (sorry)

Belt throughput: I calcultated everything with Helmod so I knew exactly how many belts I needed for and between every block of assemblers - you could see the 16 blue belts with circuits crossing the 10 belts with plastic in the screenshot above. In total I have 64 belts of copper, 48 going to green circuits and the rest to red circuits and a bit to other plants.

For unboosted assemblers, inserters are really not a bottleneck. You need to be creative to get full compression sometimes, as just inserting on the belt can cause small pauses as the inserter needs a gap, and that can lead to sub-100% production. So many setups have the last one or two assemblers outputting on a separate belt which is then merged in.

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”