Factory 2 (featuring Roadworks mod)

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Factory 2 (featuring Roadworks mod)

Post by sbroadbent »

I decided to check out some mods and decided to start a new factory. I wasn't interested in anything that changed or overhauled the game dramatically (such as Dytech). I've put about 53 hours into this one so far. Of the mods listed below, I've used Roadworks, Time Display, Resource-Monitor and The Fat Controller quite a bit. I tried out the Automatic Rail Laying Machine, but other than a brief test to try it out I haven't bothered using it to lay down rail. When and how it decides whether to lay down a straight piece or a curve takes some time to get used to. I installed both Coal Liquefaction and the Cargo Wagon Inventory mods, but have not bothered to research and utilize them. Oil is plentiful and for the moment I do not require larger capacity cargo wagons, though in the future I may do so.

Most of the time I've spent playing has been fighting Biters via car combat and enhancing the aesthetics of the base with the Roadworks mod. Due to my increased mid-game production of Asphalt I ended up switching my refineries back to Basic Oil Processing.

Power has solely been provided my my massive solar fields. Comprising 2.0K Solar Panels and 1.5K of Accumulators (7.6 Gj's of Accumulator capacity), Steam power has not been required for a long time. The Factory does have a backup of 30 Steam Engines that were moved out of the Main Factory towards the lake on the South-East. The backup system is configured to only trigger when Accumulator capacity runs empty.

10 Hour Power Production view.

Mod List:
Roadworks (v1.0.6)
Time Display (v1.0.0)
Resource-Monitor-Mod (v0.4.1)
The Fat Controller (v0.0.3)
Automatic Rail Laying Machine (v0.0.6)
Cargo Wagon Inventory Upgrade (v0.1.0)
Coal Liquefaction (v0.0.1)

World Map

Oil Refinery with Stoneworks Department
The Refinery was the first thing I enhanced with the Roadworks mod, using Concrete Flooring as a base and reinforcing the area with walls. Each area was walled off for Aesthetics, rather than defense. While I originally didn't plan to walk through the area, I eventually made openings to allow access.

The first thing I did when I set up Oil Processing was to reserve space for up to 5 Refineries. I initially ran two, but added a third when Heavy Oil was running low.

Heavy Oil and Light Oil Tanks utilize pumps to draw in Heavy and Light Oil to store for future usage. The pumps were used to syphon each oil type into the reserve tanks, whereas in the event of over production (or under consumption) of any one type of oil would be either cracked or converted into Solid Fuel.

Asphalt production led to dwindled reserves of Heavy Oil and as a result I eventually converted back to Basic Oil Processing as well as turning off the Chemical Plants that were cracking Heavy and Light Oils, since the system was actually overflowing with Petroleum and Solid Fuel production from Light Oil had hit storage limits. There is room for atleast 4 more Light Oil Solid Fuel Chemical plants if needed.

Originally there was a patch of Coal north of the Crude Oil Tanks, but after mining it out, I expanded Crude Oil Storage. These are near capacity with plenty of room for more Oil Storage.

In the south-east corner of the Oil Refinery is my Stone Works Department. It contains all the necessary production facility to produce walls, Asphalt, Concrete, Cobblestone and Railway tracks.

Capsules and Research Departments

Module Department

Smelting and Main Base Train Station
This is version 3 of the Base's Smelting setup. It was designed to pack in as many Furnaces as possible. Most furnaces have at least 2 Effectivity 2 Modules each, keeping power consumption down. My mining outposts up till now have been able to supply sufficient quantities of Iron and Copper, though because resource consumption has dropped, most trains are now running around with full cargo wagons, unable to unload due to backed up ore. Most furnaces have halted production due to their Output Queues hitting their limit.

Science Production
I previously had more automated production, but I torn it out planning to do a redesign, but my priorities have been elsewhere. I reduced the number of Advanced Circuit factories in this area when I setup my Modules Department.

North Sector Garages and the "Gauntlet"
The "Gauntlet" was designed as a Biter killing zone after drawing in large numbers of biters after vehicular hit and run attacks against the natives. As it is also within Construction Robot range of the Robotics network, it can also be considered to be 'pit lane' where repairs are made by the Construction Bots 'on the fly' without having to get out of my vehicle to do it manually.

This area features two garages where spare cars are stored for use in the field. Each are Fueled and ready for action at a moments notice. Automatic Refueling has not yet been implemented. A light touch when parking vehicles is required in such tight quarters.

West Sector Garage
A Third Garage where additional cars are parked. Other Garages are being planned, including one in the East Sector and one in the South-East Sector.

Remote Mining Outpost (featuring Logistics Bots)
I never thought I'd ever need Logistics Bots as part of a mining outpost... Thankfully the range of Automated Construction has no limit!

SB Gaming Youtube Channel:
ImageImage
Also includes series for Cities Skylines, Prison Architect, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Far Cry 2, and Test Drive Unlimited 2.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Factory 2 (featuring Roadworks mod)

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Nice job and nice post.

Ive got more power than you on my 30 hour playthrough, but its not enough due to a constant 100 plus big biters attacking me. (I mean... I get no pause in between attacks. My accums drain fast from lasers)
Think I got.like 2.2k solar and 1.6k accum.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sbroadbent »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:Nice job and nice post.

Ive got more power than you on my 30 hour playthrough, but its not enough due to a constant 100 plus big biters attacking me. (I mean... I get no pause in between attacks. My accums drain fast from lasers)
With the constant attacks, the accumulators are likely not charging to full. Probably the only thing I can recommend is more Solar Panels, or possibly Effectivity modules to cut power consumption and pollution. Alternatively, push out and clear out Biters that are near the base and establish new defensive lines. Continue to do so until Biters are outside the range of pollution. The reason I suggest establishing new defensive lines is to prevent the Biters from respawning destroyed bases, which I've had a number of times on this play through, usually always in the same spots.

Most Chemical Plants, Electric Furnaces Pump Jacks and Refineries have 2 Effectivity 2 modules. You can significantly cut the energy consumption of Chemical Plants (210kw), Furnaces (180kw) and Refineries (420kw) benefit with Effectivity 2 modules -80% power usage), whereas Pump Jacks and Electric Miners (9 pollution each) which produce a lot of pollution relative to their power consumption get -80% pollution)
SB Gaming Youtube Channel:
ImageImage
Also includes series for Cities Skylines, Prison Architect, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Far Cry 2, and Test Drive Unlimited 2.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

sbroadbent wrote:
OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:Nice job and nice post.

With the constant attacks, the accumulators are likely not charging to full. Probably the only thing I can recommend is more Solar Panels, or possibly Effectivity modules to cut power consumption and pollution. Alternatively, push out and clear out Biters that are near the base and establish new defensive lines. Continue to do so until Biters are outside the range of pollution. The reason I suggest establishing new defensive lines is to prevent the Biters from respawning destroyed bases, which I've had a number of times on this play through, usually always in the same spots.

Most Chemical Plants, Electric Furnaces Pump Jacks and Refineries have 2 Effectivity 2 modules. You can significantly cut the energy consumption of Chemical Plants (210kw), Furnaces (180kw) and Refineries (420kw) benefit with Effectivity 2 modules -80% power usage), whereas Pump Jacks and Electric Miners (9 pollution each) which produce a lot of pollution relative to their power consumption get -80% pollution)

Oh that save is fine now, When i decided to finally make more solar panels it was better ;)
If you are working off green energy, think the common wording is when you get to half on your accums, build more.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

This is pretty damn impressive! Things like this inspire me to continue playing even when I take a break, and inspire me to build new great things. :D
Image Image Image

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”