Carpet Bombing

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
DrGravitas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Carpet Bombing

Post by DrGravitas »

Best defense is a good offense and there's no kill like overkill!
Image (Imgur Image Album linked)
I haven't seen any posts (although I haven't had a chance to checkout videos yet...) about a carpet bombing technique using landmines, so I thought I'd share!

It's certainly no simple, elegant solution, nor really that practical unless you have mountains of resources. It would probably be immensely difficult, or even impossible, to implement if my biters weren't set to peaceful, too. That said, if you need to clear out a big old hive of spawners fairly quickly (not considering the time to setup logistics for this) you could do a lot worse and it looks cool to boot!

It's a fairly simple concept, we just setup some backend logistics, paint landmine construction all around the spawerns, and connect up the Robot Network to start the bombing!

Any thoughts or suggestions? Did I miss some super popular LP and this is old hat? Is this even the right sub-forum for this?

Final note: Sadly, immediately after completing the carpet bombing campaign, my power grid collapsed from the strain of things. Again.
Could have been worse, it could have happen during the bombing!
On the bright side, I brought Democracy to some bugs and liberated 3 new oil plots! YEEHAW!

Balthazar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Carpet Bombing

Post by Balthazar »

Have you tried making blueprints with landmines? :P

DrGravitas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DrGravitas »

I do indeed use a blueprint! However, there is only a single landmine in the blueprint. I can't place the blueprint unless ever object within the proposal is non-colliding with existing objects on the map, so having more than one landmine in the blueprint makes it harder to work them in between the tightly grouped spawners and would limit the density of placement and slow down the speed of the bombing.

In fact, none of this would work without blueprints, as I do not believe the alt-place mechanism works unless your within range, whereas the blueprints can be placed anywhere you can see on the screen, allowing me to not bug the biters while I'm placing.

Each of the supporting structures are also placed using blueprints, so that I have just enough time to place multiple and get things rolling before the bombing starts.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

DrGravitas wrote:I can't place the blueprint unless ever object within the proposal is non-colliding with existing objects on the map, so having more than one landmine in the blueprint makes it harder to work them in between the tightly grouped spawners and would limit the density of placement and slow down the speed of the bombing.
It might be good to suggest developers change how blueprints treat landmines similar as mines (if it can't be placed it is just skipped).

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”