Updating my ammo belt without disrupting it

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Updating my ammo belt without disrupting it

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

I set up some inserters and chests to switch my ammo belt to piercing magazines. It will gradually pull normal magazines from the inside of the belt and place piercing magazines on the outside of the belt. Inserters prefer to pull from the side of the belt closest to them, so that means all of the inserters at the turrets will pull AP ammo first, even if the belt is full of regular magazines.

If you set up your belt with magazines on the inside (away from turrets) initially, then you will be able to easily update your belt later, as shown here.
Devs please fix images in unlabeled spoilers
I don't know how to link a blueprint. If you want one, let me know and tell me how.

dynia89
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Updating my ammo belt without disrupting it

Post by dynia89 »

Hi, I see couple of issues with this concept.
1. Yes inserters prefer to pull from the side of the belt that is closes to them but if there is already normal ammo placed in turrets it will be always resupplied by the same ammo type until its available on belt. So until turret won't shout out its regular ammo while being automatically resupplied by inserters they will not switch ammo type.
2. Your design will not replace normal ammo with AP ammo, because it is pulled from line to chest and back to line before it can be picket for AP production. You shouldn't make your line completely circular with inserters and storage chests as buffer. You should end your line in one point (preferably in front last turret) and draw from end of this line normal ammo by inserter to AP production and refill line with AP directly to beginning line.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Updating my ammo belt without disrupting it

Post by Frightning »

The real trick, is to recycle the unused basic ammo into your Piercing ammo machines in an automated way. Depending on exactly how you've laid out your ammo supply belt, you can create a Filtered Inserter at the end of it to pull off the outdated basic mags and then feed them back to your Piercing mag production center, meanwhile, new Piercing mags are placed onto the belt that resupplies your turrets. Now, as they run out of basic mags, they will be restocked with Piercing mags. The same process can be repeated much later for Uranium ammo.

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”