Who you are is what kind factory you build :)

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
MaMo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Who you are is what kind factory you build :)

Post by MaMo »

Hello everyone, this game gave my brain perfect relax / and sometimes hard training for last few weeks and since UPS went down after adding new belt-based constructions with PC still having half of free processing capacity (and I noticed in Friday facts that 0.15 version should do something about it), I think it's time to contemplate and share it and maybe wait a bit:)

I would like to know opinions of other players on concept I use and if you are interested, I can post detailed pictures. For the moment, I only send high-level map for general idea.

Ideas and priorities of my factory:

1) Control: Strong base for spreading- all items you ever need are automatically produced and stored at heart of your factory and at its logistic outposts (not visible on attached map)
2) Centralistation in everything - eats some more space on map for every single thing you do but allows more control and easier mass-scale spreading. There is one huge central train station. All basic resources in and then out to factory blocks based on demand - see below. Supply trains won't leave station if target destination has enough resources.
3) Demand based - logic network enforces demand based production, that is - no more iron plates produced if iron plates supply reaches some point. Since everything in production block draws iron plates from iron-plates supply circuit, this complies with demand-based philosophy.
4) Plug and play - My factory has 6 designated blocks - 1) All-factory (all factory-building items and ammo),2) robot production (1logistic bot per 2 seconds) , 3) module production (1 module tier3 per 10 seconds), 4) destroyer bot production (1 per3 sec), 5) rocket block 6) satellite block - calibration to 1 rocket with satellite per 100 sec (no belts, combination of trains/flying bots, my favorite timer unloading system is applied here-nice to watch). My excel sheets takes care of numbers.
5) Playing with trains - Trains in this game are amazing. I use many stations with same name in different directions and watch where trains decide to go. Since they always cover all target stations over some time, I added tons of trains with completely same instruction and it supplies all factory blocks well enough. I am very satisfied with functionallity of Central mega-train-station. It needs a lot of work on entry/exit but its core works great. Damn fast and nice to watch.
6) Aesthetics, nature tolerance - I don't try to reshape terrain, rather find best way to fit factory into terrain given. I don't cut trees I don't have to. This doesn't apply to biters&friends :D -reference to my dedicated Destroyer robots block.
7) No effectivity module. Everything I build has max. productivity modules in it and is surrounded by maximum usefull amount of speed-beacons. Productivity modules on extraction sites and using many extraction sites at once.
8) Current electricity consumption is 1,6 GW with rocket/satellites turned off, all power is solar.

Future - With 0.15 there might be infinite science? That would make me go mad! :D,other possibility is fast-tripling the rocket/satellite production just to prove that my factory's logistic system can do it. Or...
...going out into the wild and make some majestic border walls with combination of all turrets and border supply-rail?
...separating owned non-factory land into separate but communicating logistic networks?
...or just leaving it like this until I get faster PC :D

What do you think of this factory concept? If there is discussion, I'd be happy to share some screenshots.
Attachments
High-level map-view
High-level map-view
Obr1.png (78.75 KiB) Viewed 4282 times

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Who you are is what kind factory you build :)

Post by steinio »

This post remembers me at a science experiment where spiders got different drugs and they analysed the web building.

So some bases look like this experiment, but primary OCD kicks in :)

Nice set up -what is the little roundabout in the lake?

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

MaMo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MaMo »

Yes, I like rails :D Structure in the lake is set of rocket silos (unfinished, there are only 6 now). Rocket express train collects rocket parts and satellite on its two stops by the rocket-satellite blocks and drops them here. Robots pick it up in the middle and fly it in all directions to the silos. It's made in sake of visual effect. I kinda hope there will be possibility to control rocket launch via logic network in future, since running that snake-shaped land that leads to silos isn't as much fun as it looks.

Ackos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ackos »

limited tree cutting...interesting

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

steinio wrote:This post remembers me at a science experiment where spiders got different drugs and they analysed the web building.

So some bases look like this experiment, but primary OCD kicks in :)

Nice set up -what is the little roundabout in the lake?

Greetings steinio
Reminds me of when they took some web-building spiders onto the ISS to see if they could handle web-building in 0-G. After a few less than stellar webs, the 8-legged freaks managed to figured it out (!) and started making nice webs in 0-G.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

I like how train focused your base is. Though I really dislike rail roundabouts.

What does creating a 2 Rocket/min megabase and developing LTN just to have trains run like in OTTD about me?
Probably that I'm a train nutcase with too much time. :lol:
2016-09-27-14-14-04-3809159.jpg
2016-09-27-14-14-04-3809159.jpg (222.48 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
I wonder if 0.15 will boost performance of my megabase. ~50 UPS on idle and down to 20 under full load is painful.

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”