My 1 rocket per minute train-bus no-bot "megabase"

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

My 1 rocket per minute train-bus no-bot "megabase"

Post by vanatteveldt »

I'm happy that I finally got my base into a shape that I can share it :). It produces just under 1 rocket per minute from 22k copper ore, 15k iron ore, 1.2k coal, and around 8k crude, all transported using 126 trains.

(This is my only silo, with 4xprod and max speed beacons it manages to launch almost 1 rocket per minute. The production is pretty fast, it's the launch animation that's the problem...

Below is an overview of the various parts with links to the designs, feel free to ask for any particulars!
Setup
Overview
Smelting
Refinery
Production
Sattelite production and supply management
Store
Power
Statistics
Last edited by vanatteveldt on Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: My 1 rocket per minute train-bus no-bot "megabase"

Post by MeduSalem »

Neat.

Now that's where all these individual designs went into... :D

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

I can recognize quite a few of the production lines from earlier postings of yours, nice to see them finally come together!

Those resource calculations seem very conservative, even accounting for the P3 modules. Especially involving the plastic and coal parts. I'm not sure that summary is calculating everything quite right. Still, obviously the supply chain is managing just fine :)

DScoffers
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DScoffers »

I was wondering about the estimates as well as I'm trying to figure it out for my base using only Productivity 3 modules.
The Factorio wiki says the following:
Building the Rocket With Productivity3 Modules
Maximum Productivity module 3 in Rocket silo and every assembly machine and furnace.
[Expand]
Complete list of all intermediate products:
Raw Products Required
3,249 Coal
12,289 Crude oil
17,375 Copper ore
33,189 Iron ore

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

Holy Moly mother of bits and thingies :o :o :o

That is one serious factory. Amazing work! Really going to use some of those designs 8-)

Wackerstamfer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wackerstamfer »

sweet :shock:

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Edit: this was a very long post double checking the Helmod calculations, but it turns out that it was my mistake: I put the plastic in Helmod below the circuit production, which means that it doesn't take the plastic need for the circuits into account. (also, I forgot some p3 modules, so the other calculations were also slightly off)

With plastic in the correct row, coal use goes up to 3254, which within rounding error from the number quoted above:

Helmod is not so good at calculating crude needs because of cracking*, but for 11k PG plus 4.5k light 12k crude sounds about right.

Note that I had huge plastic overcapacity (acc. to Helmod I need 10 plants, I have 28), so it doesn't surprise me that my supply chain was OK :))

*) https://github.com/Helfima/helmod/issues/21

scorphedron
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by scorphedron »

OMG this is freaking amazing!!!!! I'm a noob(No rockets :( ) and am inspired by your design.

Nilaus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nilaus »

Pretty cool that you did that without robots. I am myself going robot-free in my current campaign.
I can highly recommend giving the mod Logistic Train Network a try. This adds a pretty cool new way of using Trains and since you seem like a train nerd then perhaps you will like it :)

I find the toughest part of not using robots to be the balancing of how much to direct to different parts, such as Plastic. How much should go to which components? With Robots they produce until they hit the threshold and then direct resources other places, but this has to be manually managed and planned with Trains.

iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by iceman_1212 »

Any reason you switched to double-header trains? I saw your (very helpful ) posts on single-headers in the railway section with waiting bays / parallel loading and was surprised to see double headers in this one.

Also, are the figures for ore requirement (for 1 RPM) taking into account miner productivity? I think they are but I'm not sure. My math is giving me an ore requirement of 33.1k iron ore per minute including satellite and not including miner productivity and am trying to reconcile the figures.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

iceman_1212 wrote:Any reason you switched to double-header trains? I saw your (very helpful ) posts on single-headers in the railway section with waiting bays / parallel loading and was surprised to see double headers in this one.
I am using single header trains with two engines pointing the same way. They look like double header because one is pulling from the front, but the other is pushing from the rear, which doesn't make any difference (viewtopic.php?f=194&t=32308#p231143). Doing it this way this made it easier to scale up from two-wagon trains (LCC) to four-wagon trains (<LCCC<L) or mix 2 and 4 wagon trains without having to change the stations, as the second engine is at the rear end.
Also, are the figures for ore requirement (for 1 RPM) taking into account miner productivity? I think they are but I'm not sure. My math is giving me an ore requirement of 33.1k iron ore per minute including satellite and not including miner productivity and am trying to reconcile the figures.

I don't use prod modules in the mines and (as stated) I "cheated" by creating circle-shaped infinite ore patches on the site of original ore locations.

The resources requirements are from helmod, but if I read them correctly (it's pretty late here) its 11286+21952=33k iron ore, which seems to square with your calculations? Note that in the helmod screenshot the ore for iron plates and for steel are listed on separate lines. Or are you referring to something else?

iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by iceman_1212 »

That makes perfect sense on both points - ty. Clever solution to upgrade from 1-2 to (effectively) 2-4 whilst having both types on the track at once.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

Imagine what NASA would be with this technology...
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

voddan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by voddan »

Wow! I think I just have to see this factory in action!
Could you please post a save somewhere?

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

voddan wrote:Wow! I think I just have to see this factory in action!
Could you please post a save somewhere?
Hmm, not sure I actually still have a save, and it's from .14 (I think), so a lot of recipes are quite different in the current versions... Thanks for the interest though! :)

Sarai
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sarai »

I absolutely love this! Limiting yourself to only one rocket silo and no bots is my personal preference too, I feel like too many logistics bots tend to make me lazy in designing bases so I end up only having bots deliver materials to me directly
🏳️‍🌈🎮

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”