"Going NUTZ!!!" - Now this is what I call a MEGA BASE

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

"Going NUTZ!!!" - Now this is what I call a MEGA BASE

Post by Keplergamer »

" I just wanna see this build up, or closer to that. I'm just sick of always looking at tread titles that say that they have built a megabase, then look at the tread and be at least mildly disappointed. Lemme show you what I think when the MEGABASE word comes to mind. :twisted: "

Funny videos

Base for the base fun tour

The Tungsten Oddysey

Gameplay videos

12x Timelapses - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8lc8oL_SB9
Chapter 1a - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZaE0VnJc0E&lc
Chapter 1b - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQDrwJdyew

12x Timelapses with voice commentary instead of music - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 5meUqf9vgB
Chapter 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clm2By4 ... gB&index=1
Chapter 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZVPV_n ... gB&index=2

Commentary on real-time and music on the time-lapse (Very handfull to make this style of gameplay, not sure if I'll keep going, feedback appreciated) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0oFCwE0sES
1a - Intro - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-tZKa4 ... 0oFCwE0sES
1b - First Music Time-lapse from 0h to 2h30 - Setting up science, bricks and belts production - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZaE0Vn ... 0oFCwE0sES
1c - Another real-time talk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svjfgee ... 0oFCwE0sES
1d - Second Music Time-lapse - Marking the edges of each area and the central corridor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQDrwJ ... 0oFCwE0sES
1e - Back to real-time - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8KMoCj ... 0oFCwE0sES

Only Yellow Belts
No modules
Lower Tier Possible for each recipe
Only Yellow Inserters with no stack bonus
No logistic bots for the base, only for my inventory
A giant refinery, leaving space inbetween each thing for safety like in real life.
Main bus at least 256 belts strong.
Try to go for one rocket every 10min, as this was the definition of megabase according to Negative Root. :mrgreen:
Don't care about PC performance, if the base can't be actually be run, just imagine what it would be like.
Logistic Embargo Achievment
No extra speed gimmicks on my armor, at least up to 6 days of gameplay
Always think "if I owned a this factory for real, and had to walk trough it for real, how I would like it to look like?"
A super mega robot system to help me build this massive base. But no roboports everywhere, this is unreal and ugly.

So, I already were thinking of making a really big base or two a little while ago. But at first, I only thought of making one big bus, with raw ores, then making all the production chain. Also, while playing marathon and looking at that regular inserter lonely putting 30 iron plates into the machine for ONE red science pack, I thought how crazy it would be, if you could have only one inserter for input and only one for output, regular one, with no stacks. And if you need more, you would have to make more assembly machines.

Now, besides that, I never really liked modules, they are like cheating and hacking to me. Neither you could update the assembly machine just because you needed faster assembly speed.

Then I saw someone starting a let's play and asking for users to say what they wanted to see it built and a amount, from x up to x amount and I asked what item was the harder to craft. I don't remember all that he said, but ended with something like "you can't be real crazy with the requests, like you can't ask to craft 5million blue circuits".

BAZZINGA!!!!

Then something clicked on my mind. I would not only try to make that, but at a factory that uses all that I said above, but also, I love belts, I never used logistic robots to help the base, and this time, I wanted to only use the yellow belt as well. This would go from the main bus to the right of it. But I would not only make that crazy base, I would also make a giant science factory and to the top of it, a giant rocket launching base.

And on top of that, I would not only have the Marathon mod, but the science tweaker as well.

This was a long time ago now, things had changed though, just keep reading.

(need to leave now, but I'll write the end of the story later....)

First, a lot of things that I dont do, or try to avoid as much as possible:

I don't put entities from one factory straight into another. Neither straight into a chest.

Text from some posts belows that says a lot about this.

Other things I'm planning or taking into account

- The ore sorting is very slow and huge. I wanted to keep only the lower tier, but I might need to upgrade those to lvl 2. The lvl 2 are the ones who have a crafting speed of 1 anyway. Or..... Make a REALLY REALLY WIDE ore sorting area.

I do not want to make all machines close together, and this game always needs more space than you planned. So I will start already with a massive scale, yet leave space to expand each assembly section up to 5x their original scale + 50 squares of free area for belts and bus.

So instead of a 500 x 500, it could be 1500 x 500 area, or 1500 x 750.

Anyway, I wanted to put the train stations right at the bottom, one for each ore, but I may leave 200 squares to be safe. If I ever need more, then I just blueprint the whole damn place and rebuild it down. But at that stage I may have 10000 construction robots anyway.....

- The furnace / smelting area is hard to plan ahead, as I don't really know all the wicked setups that bobs mods require.

- I also wanted to make a separate area, like a real-life giant refinery area for any assembly that required Chemical Plant, Electrolyser, or Bobs furnaces. But not all of those, some are mostly base assemble and others are mostly smelting. But what I wanna say is about that area. I would like to make it look like a real chemical production center would look - with lots of hazard zone painting and pipes to keep each thing far away from each other for safety. It might get really wide as well.

This base, in my head, is just getting more nutz, it may not ever function to work, and I may need more than 16gigs of Ram to keep expanding it (witch I would happily buy like I never were before). Maybe go for that new server CPU with 40 cores. That could be a thing..... All I know is, if Factorio staff ever needed a base to stress test belts and pipes programming this will be it.

So far, it's using 2,3GB of my 16GB ram and 30% of CPU load on my i7-4970. So still running at 60ups/fps with recording and iTunes on the background. But the fan is noisy already and I don't need any room heather.

Though reprocessing each video, that were recorded at 60fps, occupying 20Gigs per hour into the 12x 60fps time-lapse is worse still - using all cores, a 1 hour record takes roughly the same 60min to be reprocessed into the time-lapse video. I also always have to leave the PC doing this any time I'm not on it, so I can have more space to record. Last 2 days I used 250 gigabytes then reprocessed and erased all again this morning. Also, one of those days I had to stop because ran out of space. At least it forces me to take a break..... I'm so into this crazy idea of a factory that I don't wanna do much else.

Imgur link of that silly first intro:

http://imgur.com/gallery/reBce :D[/spoiler]
Last edited by Keplergamer on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 11 times in total.

CLion
Inserter
Inserter

Re: The preview of my "Going Nutz!!!1" let's play.

Post by CLion »

interesting

maybe post a link to ur yt channel?

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Sure, once I have something to share on it. :D

Quick snapshot update of the last state of my production line with the last one to compare. Factory for the factory almost done. Though I said the same 24h of gameplay before. Let's see if this time is for real....

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Finally got Roboport and Recharging pad Mk2 done, time to make a blueprint to spread around the base. Keeping a recharge pad right inbetween all 4 roboports.

Using the bluprint on the bus of the "robot" factory. Also making all the tunnels on the bus according to it, so I can expand the bus with them. Stayed still to film the robots making all this blueprint. Gonna post a nice time-lapse of it on the next few days.

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Upgrading the ore sorting capabilities. It's getting huge.

Ore crushing and stone filtering looking small now.

And the mining outpost, getting all I can out of the rail tracks.

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

The other ore reprocessing plant:

Finally started blue science, after almost 3 days of playtime. :D

Also, I'm kinda ill and can't record with this voice. But soon.....

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Decided I had to make more than 4 concrete assembly machines....

Since I want to cover a huge area, and mistakenly thought that the Angels Ores weren't being processed due to and excess of unprocessed stone, decided to go BANANAS on the concrete production. Never really used the Blueprints to this scale, so also wanted to try that. :D

....so this is what I've came up with. :P

So Concrete production up from 40/min to a 1100/min, but that is due to the low stone input. If this has full input, it can produce 9600/min. :mrgreen:

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Quick update on the base map:
* Open it on another tab to see its full size

Still To add to Assembly Line:

Large Ore Mining Drill Mk2
Electric Furnace
Chemichal Furnace
Warehouse
Storage Warehouse
Ore Silos
Refinery
Chemichal Plant
Electrolyser
Small Pump
Non-Return Valve
Small Pump Mk2
Overflow Valve
Red Belt
Red Tunnel
Red Hacked Splitter

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: "Going Nutz!!!1" - A MEGAWIDE base challenge

Post by Keplergamer »

Other things I'm planning or taking into account

- The ore sorting is very slow and huge. I wanted to keep only the lower tier, but I might need to upgrade those to lvl 2. The lvl 2 are the ones who have a crafting speed of 1 anyway. Or..... Make a REALLY REALLY WIDE ore sorting area.

I do not want to make all machines close together, and this game always needs more space than you planned. So I will start already with a massive scale, yet leave space to expand each assembly section up to 5x their original scale + 50 squares of free area for belts and bus.

So instead of a 500 x 500, it could be 1500 x 500 area, or 1500 x 750.

Anyway, I wanted to put the train stations right at the bottom, one for each ore, but I may leave 200 squares to be safe. If I ever need more, then I just blueprint the whole damn place and rebuild it down. But at that stage I may have 10000 construction robots anyway.....

- The furnace / smelting area is hard to plan ahead, as I don't really know all the wicked setups that bobs mods require.

- I also wanted to make a separate area, like a real-life giant refinery area for any assembly that required Chemical Plant, Electrolyser, or Bobs furnaces. But not all of those, some are mostly base assemble and others are mostly smelting. But what I wanna say is about that area. I would like to make it look like a real chemical production center would look - with lots of hazard zone painting and pipes to keep each thing far away from each other for safety. It might get really wide as well.

This base, in my head, is just getting more nutz, it may not ever function to work, and I may need more than 16gigs of Ram to keep expanding it (witch I would happily buy like I never were before). Maybe go for that new server CPU with 40 cores. That could be a thing..... All I know is, if Factorio staff ever needed a base to stress test belts and pipes programming this will be it.

So far, it's using 2,3GB of my 16GB ram and 30% of CPU load on my i7-4970. So still running at 60ups/fps with recording and iTunes on the background. But the fan is noisy already and I don't need any room heather.

Though reprocessing each video, that were recorded at 60fps, occupying 20Gigs per hour into the 12x 60fps time-lapse is worse still - using all cores, a 1 hour record takes roughly the same 60min to be reprocessed into the time-lapse video. I also always have to leave the PC doing this any time I'm not on it, so I can have more space to record. Last 2 days I used 250 gigabytes then reprocessed and erased all again this morning. Also, one of those days I had to stop because ran out of space. At least it forces me to take a break..... I'm so into this crazy idea of a factory that I don't wanna do much else.

I just wanna see this build up, or closer to that. I'm just sick of always looking at tread titles that say that they have built a megabase, then look at the tread and be at least mildly disappointed. Lemme show you what I think when the MEGABASE word comes to mind. :twisted:

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: "Going NUTZ!!!" - Now this is what I call a MEGA BASE

Post by Keplergamer »

So, I already were thinking of making a really big base or two a little while ago. But at first, I only thought of making one big bus, with raw ores, then making all the production chain. Also, while playing marathon and looking at that regular inserter lonely putting 30 iron plates into the machine for ONE red science pack, I thought how crazy it would be, if you could have only one inserter for input and only one for output, regular one, with no stacks. And if you need more, you would have to make more assembly machines.

Now, besides that, I never really liked modules, they are like cheating and hacking to me. Neither you could update the assembly machine just because you needed faster assembly speed.

Then I saw someone starting a let's play and asking for users to say what they wanted to see it built and a amount, from x up to x amount and I asked what item was the harder to craft. I don't remember all that he said, but ended with something like "you can't be real crazy with the requests, like you can't ask to craft 5million blue circuits".

BAZZINGA!!!!

Then something clicked on my mind. I would not only try to make that, but at a factory that uses all that I said above, but also, I love belts, I never used logistic robots to help the base, and this time, I wanted to only use the yellow belt as well. This would go from the main bus to the right of it. But I would not only make that crazy base, I would also make a giant science factory and to the top of it, a giant rocket launching base.

And on top of that, I would not only have the Marathon mod, but the science tweaker as well.

This was a long time ago now, things had changed though, just keep reading.

(need to leave now, but I'll write the end of the story later....)

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

New base map, for the record...

Production and power tab from the last hour

Finally having a lot of bots, was able to fix all the bottlenecks and they suddenly double the number in just 1 hour. Now more than 7k Bots already. It was about 2k 12 hours ago for a loooong long time.

One of the biggest bottlenecks where the battery production, fixed this with this shiny new battery plant ^^

And got this as a reward ^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pALN0QDxDIg

All the new bots are using a shitload of power, time to finally use them to make a decent power plant blue print. They look like a flock of birs on their migration season. :p

But it will be made on the scale that I'm thinking for the mega base, so this is the edge of it:

There was a movie in the 60's or so, that there was a big Texas farmer. He was bringing her wife to her new home. It was 6 day trip. They got to the border of his farm. But the house was still 36 hours away........

Starting to take shape. :)

Grimakar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Grimakar »

This is one of my favourite threads here. Hope to see more of you Megabase ;-)

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Thank you ^^

I'm finishing my first TL voice over. Each TL chapter will be about 30min of TL, showing 6h of gameplay into that time. But with interventions where I load the save before and/or after each TL to talk and walk there in real time. But those parts will be in different videos, so I can make a playlist just with the TL. Also wanna make a version only with music, it's very relaxing to watch.

Meanwhile, I finished science packs 4 but with all the mods, all the science requires alien science instead of science pack 4, gotta do some mod debugguing.

Anyway, Im pushing for MK4 electric poles and MK4 Roboports/Charging points/Logistic Extensions. So I won't have the base filled up with all that clutter. Also planning on making some kind of roboport centers, with a circle of 9 of them. And fill the rest only with the logistic extension towers. If I had a factory in real-life, that's how I would have wanted it.

This is a SS of the megabase for the megabase at the moment, also having some fun making things pretty. I wanna make all the refinery/electrolyser/chemichal plants pretty and organized.
Attachments
Factorio 2016-11-06 17-07-33-717.png
Factorio 2016-11-06 17-07-33-717.png (2.87 MiB) Viewed 24968 times

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Here's the base map.
(The base for the base, not the final megabase, in case you are wondering....)
Attachments
Factorio 2016-11-06 17-23-55-420.png
Factorio 2016-11-06 17-23-55-420.png (511.8 KiB) Viewed 24966 times
Last edited by Keplergamer on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

First things first, I say that's the base picture there, no no no, thats the picture of the base that will make the mega-base, it's very tiny in comparisson with what I have in mind.

Ah, it's been a while. I had a huge problem with some mods, as the tech on the "T" menu says it requires one thing - blue science pack, wich I spent more than 12 hours to create its automation, then the science lab was asking for pink science pack instead. And this one required bitters, but I don't have any bitters, and it looked like to fabricate the bitter pink ball loot drop I would have to first research this tech that was requiring the same pack I was needing to produce.....

Turns out pink science packs don't need bitter drops, at least not with my modpacks. But after spending so much time automating the dark blue science packs, it's a shame not to see them being used.....

Then I ran out of HD space, all the videos that I have captured already are mostly transformed into a time-lapse but they occupy more than 100GB already. It's time to start recording and uploading them for once. Last two "mega-base" projects I wanted to do this but never got this last part done. (At least they felt like mega-base at the time, actually going to be 100x smaller than this one)

All the while, I have tried to start making the episodes of my let's play, but my audio comes with a big background noise that makes me have a android voice when removed... not very inspiring, but now that I'm thinking about it, it may well suit the Factorio theme.... :D :D :D :D

Then, I got stuck at making a good intro, I have some crazy ideas for it, but it's not so easy to make it, and It may be copyright denied by youtube. But the worst was looking for decent ways of putting the idea into action.

First I had to edit 2 musics, Welcome to the Machine, from Pink Floyd, and Bird is a Word from Ramones. I'm quite happy with the result. Now I'm trying to find the best way to put factory pictures, photos of people going nutz and the titles it-self on the best possible manner.

Here's the first draft, with my android voice at the end
https://youtu.be/dHykiWzCww0

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Screw that intro, it's silly and probably will get a copyright ban, and a lot of work to make, I can't finish the base, let alone that intro. Might do a small one later... At least I'm putting a let's play online this time, unlike the previous 2 playthroughs that I only recorded the the TL but never did a voice-over....

I will offer this gameplay in 3 versions:

Only the Time-lapses with music, probably the best one:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8lc8oL_SB9

With commentary on real-time parts, and music on the time-lapses:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0oFCwE0sES

With commentary on all parts, including the time-lapse (chapter 1 here, no playlist yet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cDcCjCI88o

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

And here are some pictures of the base at the moment. It really took a while to start making Titanium and Tungsten plates. But not I focus on connecting tier 3 and 4 things to the production line. Almost there.

Here's the setup to make Powdered Tungsten

And here's how the belt maze is in a organized chaos state at the 90º junction, I really love how you set your own rules to build the factory and the art arranges by itself. Some will call it spaghetti, I call it great fun.

The view of that maze plus my "refinery" site, by that I mean all things that ain't done in an Assembly Machine. Also playing with the design of each thing, so I can see what works for the big ass refinery section of the later main base.....

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

My setup to make silver oxide. Not leaving a lot of space this time as I just wanna finish linking all the production chains. And have Roboport Mk4 to spread over all the base. All this work is for this. The Mk2 Roboport has a way too short of a reach. I would have to put them everywhere to cover the base. Hopefully with Mk4 Roboports and Logistics expanders I can make a more clean looking base. And, after 5 and half days of gametime (not real-life game time, that's probably over 6 days already). I'm finally withing reach. Played 5 hours straight today and gonna keep playing more, as now that I have Titanium, Nickel and Silver automated, I just have to link all the materials to the Assembly Machines. Then probably a couple more hours (or 12h...) to remove the worst bottlenecks and have a minimally decent production of roboports, charging pads and what not. Meanwhile I could focus on putting more concrete and finally starting to desing the Mega Base Layout.... :D

Going Nutz eh? Never thought a name would serve a playthrough so well. This game is already way longer and bigger than any other base that I thought was large. And I haven't even started the base yet. Oh dear. I'm loving it!!!!

A shame that when I started this base, Angels didn't have Petrochem, I'll try to add it to the game, as a more complex and nice looking refinery is definitely something that I'm looking after.

Silver Ore Chain, look what a funny setup I did.

Finally doing Tier 4 Circuits, this is almost uncharted territory. I'm so excited (after more than 500 hours of playing the game.... :P)

And a little further down the road, there it is!!! Roboport Mk 4, and all the other Tier 4 Bobs Bots things. :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

When I started this "base for the base" project, I though that in whithing 3 hours I would have all the robots automated and be building the mega base already. 5 days of gameplay later and I'm still finishing the robots, and probably will spend a lot more time on it later on putting more entities like all lvls of assembly machines, pumpjacks and whatnot....

Boy, this main bus is huge, I can't believe I did all this by myself. No wonder the game is taking so long.

Here's a quick zoom to the end of the Roboport Mk 3 chain

Getting there!!!!!

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Oh, also, this fun setup I made, for fun and my spaghetti tendencies to get Titanium and Silver ores, :D Can you reverse engineer it?

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Finished the chain for Mk4 Roboports. And then 3 more hours just to actually see one done. So much bottlenecks, and one non-return valve put on the opposite direction.

The factory is so long as is now, that when I found this problem, on the start of Titaniun ore creation, it took 40min of ingame time to finally get titanium plates back to the tier 3 roboport production line. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”