Endless game, huge base

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
greaman
Inserter
Inserter

Endless game, huge base

Post by greaman »

Hi,
I am curently trying out how much the game engine can take - and haven't found te limits yet ;)

I used an unlimited map with lots of ressources and enemies and started to build and explore weeks ago ... and haven't stopped ever since.

There are three annoying aspects so far:

(1) wide area logistic networks (stopped doing that, as response times, especially of construction bots became too slow). I use local logistic networks for each defense line now.

(2) Mass two. Using tens of thousands of yellow boxes is fun, but the destribution logic drives me crazy. I use two major production areas which both have hugh storage space, yet the game decides to store items from area A at B and vice versa... keeping thousands of logistic bots occupied for no reason. For the same reason I constructed an island just dedicated to store coal as a disconnected logistic network.

Even though the save game is now close to 100 MB the game runs rather smoothly and can even be started on a root server - as it seems connecting poses a problem for some people people due to a limited download speed.
Attachments
earlier stages
earlier stages
20160715103624_1.jpg (424.44 KiB) Viewed 6653 times
back up power plant
back up power plant
20160908210614_1.jpg (661.95 KiB) Viewed 6653 times
20160924073658_1.jpg
20160924073658_1.jpg (670.26 KiB) Viewed 6653 times
20160924073115_1.jpg
20160924073115_1.jpg (389.3 KiB) Viewed 6653 times

greaman
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Endless game, huge base

Post by greaman »

the back-up power plant is usually disconnected from the electrical network (unless battery capacity drops below a certain percentage) and also logistically disconnected and fed by trains. Distribution of coal is done by robots that are fed by solar energy if possible (if need by, of course, the will pull power from the generators). Each plant has got 14000 coal stored and the complete setup has a storage capacity of 11M coal which is complete used up as you can see... should last a while ;)
Attachments
backup power setup
backup power setup
20160924075816_1.jpg (746.29 KiB) Viewed 6652 times

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

Just as a handy note for the save size, if you want to reduce it the undecorator mod works wonders, can easily halve the size.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

The landfill really feels like a crime against nature here.

Nice rail-network though.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

greaman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by greaman »

starholme wrote:Just as a handy note for the save size, if you want to reduce it the undecorator mod works wonders, can easily halve the size.
I wanted to keep the game purely vanilla-based - at first becuase of the achievements and now, because I want to see how much the game can take before it breaks as it has been running for several weeks now... 8-)

greaman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by greaman »

Adil wrote:The landfill really feels like a crime against nature here.
In the beginning it was a simple defence measure - moving all critical structure onto an artificial island that allows better protection - later on it became just a convenience issue to create islands to match my generator set-up ;)

It would really be nice if one could construct water-fills in the vanilla version - until then I will keep on constructing landmasses.

However - land fill tiles are also a very effective way to get rid of too many stones in the system as the ratio is 20:1

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”