Let's see your no laser defense ideas!

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
Beeblebrox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Let's see your no laser defense ideas!

Post by Beeblebrox »

I do! (like it)

How do you have the decider and constant combinator set up (near the tool chest)? Perhaps you found a solution to my tool migration problem (from chest to roboport, as a pack of ten gets picked up by the bots and the leftovers are returned to the port instead of the chest).

Case
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Case »

Beeblebrox wrote:I do! (like it)

How do you have the decider and constant combinator set up (near the tool chest)? Perhaps you found a solution to my tool migration problem (from chest to roboport, as a pack of ten gets picked up by the bots and the leftovers are returned to the port instead of the chest).
Its from this thread made by - edalquist viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31062&p=198159&hili ... ks#p198159 and its just a slow down delivery contraption. You still end up with hundreds of repair pack in the roboport but because of the slowdown the whole line gets initiated with packs pretty fast. Yes the repair packs are a pain - I did not found a system yet where you can deliver a specific amount of packs to the roboport.

hoosh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hoosh »

Wouldn't an easy solution just be to pull things off the train into a storage chest with a one stack limit? As far as i see there is no reason to put them in the roboports as the construction bots should take them out of the storage chest if they need them.

If you are supplying by train or the inserters across logistics zones being that walls and whatnot are already being stored in chests it shouldn't be to hard to add.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Tricorius wrote:I don't think the bots will venture outside of a proper roboport boundary (but I haven't tested a loop with a hole in the middle, so I'm not certain on that).
You should avoid it. I have corners in my defense line and robots try to run straight over the area without roboports. They lose their charge and become slow. It is not a bad problem under normal operation, because I have maintenance stations after 5 roboports and every station have tools and bullets, but they are hopeless during construction work.

This is my solution. I have about 4 x 4 km^2 area enclosed with a fully automatized defense line. It have triple walls and continuous row of gun turrets. It can handle continuous attacks of behemoth and large enemies. At most situations they can destroy only a construction bot or two. It used 6000 magazines of bullets during last hour. I have used natural lakes to reduce length and they also divide robot areas to smaller parts so that bots do not try to fly 4 km over wilderness. Defense line show begins at about 11 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUbHAHsxyBY

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

I have revised my modular wall to a blueprint I like better. Now technically, this wall *has* laser turrets. They aren't needed though, the flame turrets and gun turrets hold plenty. I'm refining it a bit still (don't like the corners, and I need to add radar and gates), but I'm quite liking it so far. You do have to send in oil barrels and ammo to resupply it.

If you happened to get swamped and needed a second row of gun turrets you could add them behind and still get pretty good range. Seriously though, those flame turrets are amazing. The gun turrets are really just "cleanup" for anything that doesn't burn.
blueprint
blueprint
Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 3.22.00 PM.png (4 MiB) Viewed 3469 times
Action shot. Not a huge attack yet. I'm pressing them, trying to get them bigger.
action
action
Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 5.18.42 PM.png (5.15 MiB) Viewed 3469 times

Zolkalter
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zolkalter »

I have been a fan of these Flame Turrets. I don't tend to make solid walls as I have not had groups large enough to get through this defense. I do have ports all the way to my defense points so that they can automatically reload the oil barrels and bullets.
No Laser.jpg
No Laser.jpg (936.2 KiB) Viewed 3440 times
I make these and add an oil pipe connection to advance straight through an enemy encampment. The main point keeps funneling the oil up to the next set of turrets, the fire eats just about everything.
Extension.jpg
Extension.jpg (837.76 KiB) Viewed 3440 times

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”