Laser turrets without spending drain energy

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Laser turrets without spending drain energy

Post by Qon »

XKnight wrote: Each guard turret has an arithmetic combinator ("Red + 1") in the same network, this combinator is used to detect whether turret is firing or not.
Once turret start firing, arithmetic combinator will be disabled, because it has lower priority than turret and turret's energy consumption is bigger than 300kW (max accumulator output).
Tried it, didn't work. The arithmetic combinator doesn't get disabled by the laser turret. Factorio v0.13.8. And yes, I made sure it doesn't get powered by the main network.

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

Qon wrote:
XKnight wrote: Each guard turret has an arithmetic combinator ("Red + 1") in the same network, this combinator is used to detect whether turret is firing or not.
Once turret start firing, arithmetic combinator will be disabled, because it has lower priority than turret and turret's energy consumption is bigger than 300kW (max accumulator output).
Tried it, didn't work. The arithmetic combinator doesn't get disabled by the laser turret. Factorio v0.13.8. And yes, I made sure it doesn't get powered by the main network.
Tried on 0.13.8 (previously I used 0.13.6). Works as expected. Maybe something wrong with your setup? any picture?
Video

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

I misunderstood how it was supposed to work. Yes, the incrementing arithmetic unit stops blinking when the laser turrets fire. But how does the Each * -1 detect that something stops incrementing? And I get a anything = 1 when the laser turret is NOT firing and I have no idea what the output is when it is not 1. I can't see that you are negating the condition either so now I'm doing something else wrong. Would be nice if you could explain your deep magic properly, I'm not used to combinators and Each and Anything aren't something that you experience in compsci q:

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

Unfortunately, blueprint cannot preserve copper cables so the only thing which I can do is to describe this build and provide save file.

This is how outpost in save looks like:
Outpost
And this is a combined scheme with energy flow and combinator logic inside (I've removed multi guard support to make it simpler):
Complex scheme
Laser turret has the highest energy consumption priority, this means all other objects will be powered only if laser turret is fully powdered, and we are playing on this. Guard turret is located in a separate network with a single accumulator in it, as a result when turret is firing every other object in this network won't recieve any energy. Also, an arithmetic combinator (Red + 1 => Red) with a backloop is located in this network, this combinator is connected directly into the second combinator (Each * -1 => Each) which is powered from the main network. Output values from these combinators are going into the main power switch which is used to enable main defense. So two different situations are possible:
1) guard is not firing => first combinator is enabled => its output is A on current tick, second combinator's output is -(A-1), because on the previous tick we had A-1 value from the first combinator => A + -(A-1)=1 => Main power switch is disabled
2) guard is firing => first combinator is disabled => its output is A on current tick, second combinator's output is -A, because on the previous tick first combinator didn't increase its value => A + -A=0 => Main power switch is enabled

Also, I've added day/night sensor in this build.
The core component of this sensor is an always-empty-accumulator, it is always empty because its charging rate is limited with 300kw, but it has more than 300kW consumers. Because the always-empty-accumulator is a part of main network it recieves equal share of extra energy (which is used for charging accumulators), 1kW from this energy is immediately spent on arithmetic combinator (Black + 1 => Black), because its located in the first priority network. Left energy is drained into the radar to prevent charging the always-empty-accumulator. And when we don't have any extra energy in main network arithmetic combinator will be disabled. So, this combinator is used in the same way to connect guard's accumulators to the main network when we have extra energy, and to disconnect them when we don't have energy.

This means, guard accumulator can be detached from the main network during biter attack in the day time.
Plot
Savefile

Case
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Case »

Could you use mines as detector? If the biters activate a mine the construction bots are replacing it and you can turn on the turrets? Just a thought.

I would be interested in a system that delays the construction bots repair time. Most of my defences can hold back the biters without something is destroyed. But I constantly loose construction bots because they charge straight into the first wave :(

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Case wrote:Could you use mines as detector? If the biters activate a mine the construction bots are replacing it and you can turn on the turrets? Just a thought.

I would be interested in a system that delays the construction bots repair time. Most of my defences can hold back the biters without something is destroyed. But I constantly loose construction bots because they charge straight into the first wave :(
Not sure what you meant with using a miner as detector, but the second paragraph should be solvable and fairly easily implemented in a small logistics network. If you use filter inserters to pull construction bots out of every roboport when none of them are active and insert them back in again a few seconds after your detector turrets stop detecting natives you should get the desired result.

@BlakeMW, I'm responding to yours when I get time to replicate.

Case
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Case »

Not miners :) .. the explosives!

Powerad
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Powerad »

For a guaranteed night mode version just connect the guard turret to the main network the moment it starts firing. It only draws power for a split second while the circuit turns on. 3 accumulators are enough to keep the turret idle powered for the whole night even while the accumulators are connected to your main as long as your mains doesnt drop below 20%. Add one more if you want a lower bound. No need for the serial accumulators a firing turret still draws more power than 3 accumulators can provide thus turning off the arithmetic combinator.

Do the amazing counter trick using signal T so when the counting arithmetic combinator stops counting the output becomes 0, signal T value 0, T(0). Feed that to a Decider that takes input T = 0 and outputs an S(1) to an S/R latch. The latch connects a power switch and starts driving a timer that counts up to lets say 900, 15 seconds. Once the timer reaches 900 it sends a reset to the SR latch, R twice setting the signal for R to 2, which turns off the SR latch and both disconnecting the power switch and stopping and resetting the timer. If the guard tower fires again the cycle repeats with no interruption.

Basically adds a SR latch, a 15 seconds timer, and a auto re setter for the timer to not drain accumulator from repeated guard firings. Plus the only thing that has to be done after dropping the blueprint is disconnect the wooden power pole by shift clicking it, no extra connections required.
TurretEnabler.png
TurretEnabler.png (384.7 KiB) Viewed 7432 times
Explanation.png
Explanation.png (903.63 KiB) Viewed 7432 times
SR latch in this https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Circ ... er_version has the bug where if S = 1 and R= 1 then the latch stays set since S = R, the latch sets one S and the input is a second S thus the sum becomes S=2, and the check is S > R There must be 2 R's coming in thus 2 wires, one red and one green.
S R Q
0 0 Latch
0 1 0
1 0 1
1 1 0 This is incorrect in the single decider version above, connecting R twice to the decider fixes the issue.

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
Attachments
TurretWall.zip
(12.61 MiB) Downloaded 148 times

leitk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leitk »

I made a tiny mod: Tiny Pole
This pole has coverage of 3x3 and wire reach of 3, so you can use it with blueprints for powerswitches.
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=53962&p=316815#p316815

The Tiny poles power 4 lasers, but they're also covered by the medium poles that are not connected to the tiny poles.
Here is a blueprint you can use without removing or connecting any wires by hand.

The Tiny Poles work great. However, my blueprint does not, do not use it
Attachments
Blueprintable guard turret setup
Blueprintable guard turret setup
TinyPoleInUse.PNG (473.06 KiB) Viewed 7262 times

leitk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leitk »

OK, this one works, I copied Powerad's logic, but took out the S/R latch because I wanted there to be 15 seconds of peace before turning things off.
Blueprint

Quixilvr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Quixilvr »

I love the setup the Powerad posted back on Sep 25, 2017. I have taken his same basic design and adjusted the placement of the power poles slightly to make it tileable so that you can place a Roboport behind every other big electric pole and the logistic networks line up perfectly!

NOTE! You have to shift-click on both of the small power poles to remove the copper lines for the setup to work.

Here is a screenshot of the blueprint area: (Notice there needs to be one tile space between each blueprint so the medium power poles don't connect between blueprints)
Laser Wall - Blueprint.png
Laser Wall - Blueprint.png (2.05 MiB) Viewed 4477 times
And here is a screenshot highlighting one of the small power poles which need to have the copper lines removed after the blueprint is placed:
Laser Wall - Electric Network.png
Laser Wall - Electric Network.png (2.95 MiB) Viewed 4477 times
Here is the Blueprint:

Code: Select all

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

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Back in april 2019 I completed my 0~ drain laser wall and posted it in another thread: Perfect 0~drain Laser: Blueprintable and Chunky!
It's chunk aligned, blueprintable (wires are already correctly connected when placed, no need to manually disconnect), the chunk pieces connect together with red wire so you can toggle the entire perimeter to be always on if you want to, allows multiple rows of laser turrets, is in a blueprint book with corner pieces also and includes roboports. And even more features mentioned in the main thread!

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”