WIP Kilobase

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

WIP Kilobase

Post by Frightning »

Making my first large-ish all logistics bot base. It's to the SE of my starter base (which has a much smaller solar array to its SE). The base is currently using 126MW despite having only around 50 furnaces and little over a dozen Assem3s, reason being the large number of beacons (~80) and use of prod modules. All modules are tier 1 still (haven't researched tier 2 just yet). The resulting pollution is staggering:
20160626004611_1.jpg
20160626004611_1.jpg (74.39 KiB) Viewed 12353 times
Here's a image of the map without the pollution info:
20160626004618_1.jpg
20160626004618_1.jpg (88.87 KiB) Viewed 12353 times
The actual base is just the mish-mash of stuff to the far south below my comparatively massive solar array (126MW sustained output, 3k Solar Panels and ideal # of Accumulators to match). I used very low frequency with very big size and very high richness in world gen, so the resource deposits are spread out, but very large and very rich (ideal for train service). The recently added Iron mine to the far east has 83 miners in it (in a coverage pattern rather than max density I might add) and that's not even the biggest iron deposit I can see! I currently have 850 bots serving the base with 17 roboports (50 logibots/port to make sure they aren't overcrowding the recharge pads) and now that I have a decent number of assembly machines up all bots are continuously busy (I guess I need more of them?)

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: WIP Kilobase

Post by Frightning »

Base has grown quite a bit, up to 210MW sustained power now (5k solar panels, 4.2k accumulators). I think I am actually taxing my Copper mine fully, but the bottleneck is the 200 logistics bots I have stationed there (apparently I need more). I established a 2nd train to that mine after noting that my copper supply wasn't keeping up and my 1 train was always arriving with a full 1500 in it's wagon. This time I snagged a pic of my production screen, set to 10m interval:
20160628031507_1.jpg
20160628031507_1.jpg (405.21 KiB) Viewed 12168 times
As you can see, I have managed a pretty good balance between supply and demand within the factory so far, though I know I am still actually short on Advanced Circuits, thing is, I can't really expand that until I fix the bot situation in the copper mine, I have also been in the process of replacing all tier 1 modules with tier 2, and I have got everything switched over except my mining drills, which I am currently still working on. This, and the expansion of my base some has shot pollution even higher:
20160628031449_1.jpg
20160628031449_1.jpg (80.42 KiB) Viewed 12168 times
Speaking of the logistics bots, I now have 1650 in my main base (w/ 33 roboports to charge them; sticking to the 50:1 ratio for bots to ports), apparently that's still not enough, as my bots are almost always taxed to capacity still (I am seeing some recharge backlogs to the roboports near the highest traffic areas, so most of new ports have been placed in those areas to help alleviate this (it's helping but I still need more). I also setup a 2nd unloading bay at the base to improve unloading efficiency (especially with a 2nd train to my copper mine now operating, I was noticing some backlogging at unload station, now very little if any).

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Finally got done with all the prod module upgrades from tier 1 to tier 2. So I was now able to focus my attention more on expanding the base. Apparently I am getting more copper ore than I using, and have managed to accumulate nearly 100k of it in storage (I have nearly 120k Stone in storage too, reason for having so much storage is prevent my train station's active provider chests from getting backlogged with anything I am overproducing). Main thing I've been expanding is Advanced Circuit production because I need more of them than I am making. I am probably starting to get close to having enough of them, but it's hard to tell because storage is still filling up at tier 2 module and Processing Unit factories (and my Substation factory, now that that has fill it's output chest). I am still not getting enough Advanced Circuits into my tier module factories, but once the others requestor chests fill up, that might change. I had to get a 3rd Oil Refinery up after making my third Plastic Bar Chem plant (2 was about to become insufficient, so I preempted that issue because I was also waiting for storage to fill on my new Advanced circuit factories and that would start to take way too long if I didn't get a 3rd plastics plant up). Also had to expand that solar grid some, now up to 273MW average (6500 panels, 5460 accumulators). Also had to add another Copper cable factory to keep up with increasing demand (due to more advanced circuit factories). Also expanded the number of bots some more, mainly interested in getting more roboports in areas that needed them (2150 bots now; still 50 bots: 1 roboport ratio).

Pic of main production area:
20160726013105_1.jpg
20160726013105_1.jpg (569.72 KiB) Viewed 11791 times
Another pic, with overlay on, so you can see what's what:
20160726013109_1.jpg
20160726013109_1.jpg (602.68 KiB) Viewed 11791 times
Here's a look at the map:
20160726013034_1.jpg
20160726013034_1.jpg (107.45 KiB) Viewed 11791 times
The pollution is getting pretty insane, good thing I have it set to peaceful! :mrgreen: :
20160726013115_1.jpg
20160726013115_1.jpg (82.15 KiB) Viewed 11791 times
Power grid:
20160726013123_1.jpg
20160726013123_1.jpg (348.57 KiB) Viewed 11791 times
Production: set to 1 min scale:
20160726013127_1.jpg
20160726013127_1.jpg (408.57 KiB) Viewed 11791 times

roberwt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by roberwt »

Why hasnt anyone replied yet? Awesome base!

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

It's a very small base and these posts usually don't draw a lot of attention.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Yea, I had generally figured that that was because of the things siggboy just mentioned. I am intending to gradually scale that base well into megabase territory and maybe even gigafactory size if I can manage it.

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

I enjoy seeing posts like this. I am at much the same stage, where I have scaled up to (what should be) a 19200-plate-per-minute main bus, although this has not been stress tested to failure yet to determine true throughput, but I am currently trying to open up additional resource outposts so that I don't simply run out of ore 2 minutes after starting it up...

I calculate that I will need a 1-4-0 train unloading every 24 seconds to feed the beast, but I will need to stagger arrivals (currently, all 3 of my trains for each resource arrive pretty much simultaneously, and unloading 24k ore is straining my bots. And it gets _really_ silly if all 6 arrive at the same time). I need to develop a counter system that will rotate through the trains in turn and request them appropriately. I figure that 4 trains for each resource, working in serial, should be able to keep up without a problem. However, I am still blue printing outpost plans, so it's all just "on my list of things to do".

Damn' game is driving me insane. Ok, _more_ insane. But ohhh, I want a glorious base shooting off rockets at relatively short intervals, so that I can just sit back and giggle at the sight of the Silo progress ticking up at >1%/second while my Main Bus churns through resources without any gaps and my train network flawlessly delivers 2 1/2 loads of ore per minute to the furnaces...

So keep sharing your progress! It gives me hope :-)

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

So the base has grown much since I last posted in here, it's now around 8000 plates/min (4.2k iron, 2.8k copper).
I have a rocket silo up and have launched 19 satellites. I now have 12000 solar panels and 10500 accumulators to power the beast.
Most of my research is done, apart from a few purple science using military upgrades (including the purple part of the follower count line of research).
With the arrival of 0.13, I've taken advantage of some of the new things, I've begun filling in the lakes inside my solar grid with landfill, concrete and then more solar panels+accumulators. I've got the trains taking advantage of the wait conditions now, and have needed to establish my first oil train, which runs to the oil field that once fed my starter base (I have plenty of oil for now). I also established my 2nd iron and copper mines as one was not enough, even with 2-wagon trains (with a third more cargo capacity thanks to 0.13 changes). I've automated inserter production finally, in part to get stack inserters, which I used where the high throughput potential is needed (notably for all my train stations).

Here's what the fluids area looks like now:
20161021072659_1.jpg
20161021072659_1.jpg (486.11 KiB) Viewed 10484 times
and with overlay on:
20161021072812_1.jpg
20161021072812_1.jpg (591.64 KiB) Viewed 10484 times
The main factory area:
20161021072724_1.jpg
20161021072724_1.jpg (575.08 KiB) Viewed 10484 times
and with overlay:
20161021072747_1.jpg
20161021072747_1.jpg (592.6 KiB) Viewed 10484 times
And here is a look at the map, so you can see how massive the solar grid has become:
20161021072821_1.jpg
20161021072821_1.jpg (181.69 KiB) Viewed 10484 times

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

Looking good, although why do you have all of those fluid tanks? If your refineries are configured correctly, you should only need a tank for Lube and (arguably) either a few as a PG buffer and/or a crude oil buffer.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Acarin wrote:Looking good, although why do you have all of those fluid tanks? If your refineries are configured correctly, you should only need a tank for Lube and (arguably) either a few as a PG buffer and/or a crude oil buffer.
It's probably a bit excessive (the crude tanks specifically), but I wanted to have a sizeable buffer so that when I start hitting inadequate oil production, I have time to figure out the cause and address it (usually, the cause is, my outpost is running dry and the solution is that I need to establish a new outpost, which takes time to set up). You kinda have to scale storage with the throughput of your operation to ensure that you have a given response time for a deficit situation. The nice thing about how I've done it is that only the rightmost HO, LO, PG tank is wired to my combinators that control cracking, so I don't ever need to adjust the settings on them as I add storage as needed.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

If oil comes from your outpost, it is more space-efficient (but not more resource efficient) to store crude oil barrels. A single (1x1) chest holds 50*10*25=12500 crude, or 5 times the size of a (2x2) storage tank.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

vanatteveldt wrote:If oil comes from your outpost, it is more space-efficient (but not more resource efficient) to store crude oil barrels. A single (1x1) chest holds 50*10*25=12500 crude, or 5 times the size of a (2x2) storage tank.
It's 48*10*25=12,000 Crude, and the Storage tank is 3x3, not 2x2. I am aware, but part of the reason I don't do things that way, is that I want the Crude oil ready to be fed into my Oil refineries as soon as they can take it (Keeping it in tanks ensures that I can handle spikes in demand easily), the other reason is that it would be rather tricky in an all-logistic bots system to ensure that Filled crude oil barrels don't end up inundating my Storage chests (which are vital to the workings of my ore unloading system, as it must have somewhere to take all types of ore at all times, even if I am making a surplus in order to not become blocked by the excess ore and unable to move needed ores).

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Frightning wrote: It's 48*10*25=12,000 Crude, and the Storage tank is 3x3, not 2x2. I am aware, but part of the reason I don't do things that way, is that I want the Crude oil ready to be fed into my Oil refineries as soon as they can take it (Keeping it in tanks ensures that I can handle spikes in demand easily), the other reason is that it would be rather tricky in an all-logistic bots system to ensure that Filled crude oil barrels don't end up inundating my Storage chests (which are vital to the workings of my ore unloading system, as it must have somewhere to take all types of ore at all times, even if I am making a surplus in order to not become blocked by the excess ore and unable to move needed ores).
Whoops :)

If you put 3 request chests requesting full barrels between two assemblers, you would have to produce a *lot* of barrels for it to fill up, and you can add more chests as needed. Each ass3 produces 25*1.25=31.25 crude/s, which is enough to feed 60 refineries, so spikes in demand are quite easy to handle even with a single unbarreling plant. But anyway, to each his own, there's many ways to skin this cat in factorio... (and I actually think that large areas with storage tanks look cool, that's how chemical storage areas look in real life, e.g. in Rotterdam: https://goo.gl/maps/S7MzwcDXpwm)

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

vanatteveldt wrote:
Frightning wrote: It's 48*10*25=12,000 Crude, and the Storage tank is 3x3, not 2x2. I am aware, but part of the reason I don't do things that way, is that I want the Crude oil ready to be fed into my Oil refineries as soon as they can take it (Keeping it in tanks ensures that I can handle spikes in demand easily), the other reason is that it would be rather tricky in an all-logistic bots system to ensure that Filled crude oil barrels don't end up inundating my Storage chests (which are vital to the workings of my ore unloading system, as it must have somewhere to take all types of ore at all times, even if I am making a surplus in order to not become blocked by the excess ore and unable to move needed ores).
Whoops :)

If you put 3 request chests requesting full barrels between two assemblers, you would have to produce a *lot* of barrels for it to fill up, and you can add more chests as needed. Each ass3 produces 25*1.25=31.25 crude/s, which is enough to feed 60 refineries, so spikes in demand are quite easy to handle even with a single unbarreling plant. But anyway, to each his own, there's many ways to skin this cat in factorio... (and I actually think that large areas with storage tanks look cool, that's how chemical storage areas look in real life, e.g. in Rotterdam: https://goo.gl/maps/S7MzwcDXpwm)
I have 4x Speed module 2s in my Assembly machine 3, so it's actually 31.25*2.2=68.75 crude oil/sec, but I remember another reason I like the tanks: At a glance way of telling if I am starting to run out of Crude oil or not. Actually, with the way I set it up in 0.12, the system automatically adds barrels until the Steel barrel requestor chests at the main oil station are full, so during surplus I end up with a full set of 12 chests with 480 Filled crude oil barrels in them, in addition to the tanks. If I were to remake the system from scratch, I'd set it up instead to have 400+800*#trains barrels in it, and manually add barrels when I setup a new outpost (the extra 400 are to ensure that the train is reloaded with empty barrels as fast as possible and thus will leave right away to head back to it's assigned Oil outpost, the 800 per train are 400 at outpost being filled+their 400 replacements when the train loads them up, so the outpost will continue running while the train is away).

AlexTheNotsogreat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AlexTheNotsogreat »

So, how exactly do you not suffocate in that base?

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

AlexTheNotsogreat wrote:So, how exactly do you not suffocate in that base?
LOL, modular armor OP? (must have an air filter or something)

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”