Early Building Store

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Early Building Store

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

Plenty of food for thought there people.

I like BS as an acronym, I talk a lot of it.

One thing Qon - the BS doesn't have to be restricted to a single line - as mid-late game arrives you can make another line perhaps.

There is also the option of feeding in three belts and still there's room for unloading.

If we place (and reserve place for) copper plate using assemblers at the beginning of the line. Then add:

Gears/green circuits, iron/steel, red circuits? - (electric furnaces and...?) - stone? (rail, boilers, brick - furnaces, walls).

The useful stuff. On that note: robots

I automate right through to robot frames. Crafting speed is fast after this. In this manner I can choose if I want logistics or construction bots as and when I use them. Crafting from engines is too slow. Unlike trains, engines are sufficient to kickstart and continue accumulating trains.

Rail is important to automate, you don't use a refill very often but who carries round stone and iron sticks.

For me the late (ideal) BS needs to cover the following:

Those basics we always assembled - assemblers, inserters, belts etc

Power - Poles, boilers, steam engines, accumulators, panels. If going large, highly recommended to get both solar and electric.

Mining - Drills, smelters -> electric smelters. Walls, lasers.

Oil - Refineries, pumpjacks, chemical plants (plus walls, lasers...)

Rail - engines, rails, signals if you want...

Robots - Electric engines - Flying Robot Frames

Plus repair packs and I've likely forgotten a bit.

For me the late game version allows me to continue doing what I used to do early game - grab stacks and get on with building stuff. Incorporating a personal building train to ferry me round and/or remotely deliver goods is a perfect accompaniment.

The original circuits and gears should leave room for expansion of them if needed. And then iron has to be doubled up for steel as it comes into play.

That third belt - the red circuits - for smelters and...? Bringing in the batteries and red circuits can disrupt the whole shebang quite quickly, forward planning for these would help me tidy up my BS. :D

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Dry Hairy Tree wrote:I like BS as an acronym, I talk a lot of it.
lol
Dry Hairy Tree wrote: One thing Qon - the BS doesn't have to be restricted to a single line - as mid-late game arrives you can make another line perhaps.

There is also the option of feeding in three belts and still there's room for unloading.
Yes, multiple lines planned. The basic BS (BBS) and advanced BS (ABS) are two fairly distinct lines. But I'm also thinking about how to handle multiple lines of BBS (multiple lines of ABS is not needed because ABS will be very short anyways) or if you should just bend it back if you want it more square. Multiple lines would increase the amount of stuff you can send, but if you can easily use blue belts and get there quickly that might be overkill anyways since you are making the 100k things elsewhere.

If possible I want to reduce the amount of belts needed on each side so that you don't need as many long inserters for input. Makes it messier if you need underground belts to fit in the chests and inserters. For the most part you 2 belts is enough for gears, greens, iron and steel. If you place assemblers between those belts you can get fast inserters to both and thus need less inserters, you can even use stack ones when you get those. If you need more lanes you can just build new ones alternating between the types. Long inserters are fast enough for output and done correctly will have a space available for the chest without any need for UG belts. Still designing.
Dry Hairy Tree wrote: The useful stuff. On that note: robots

I automate right through to robot frames. Crafting speed is fast after this. In this manner I can choose if I want logistics or construction bots as and when I use them. Crafting from engines is too slow. Unlike trains, engines are sufficient to kickstart and continue accumulating trains.
Yes. But in a robot factory it's nice when new robots are crafted and inserted into the network automatically so when you start using them you don't have to do that all the time when every addition is a meaningful increase to your throughput. But for the refererence design I might not have bots themselves in. Depends. But yes I'm keeping check on crafting times and how many you'll need.

Dry Hairy Tree wrote: Rail is important to automate, you don't use a refill very often but who carries round stone and iron sticks.
Yeah rail and boilers are the reason for stone taking part and not just bricks. Makes it a bit harder but you can have a electric furnace in the BS so you only need to supply stone and not bricks also at least. Not much throughput needed for bricks so it's not a problem. Well I don't use walls, maybe should take others preference into consideration there though. But they are fairly useless if you have enough turrets q:
Concrete needs massive amounts of brick and iron ore + water and needs mass production so it will not be made in the BS, would just be silly.
Dry Hairy Tree wrote: For me the late (ideal) BS needs to cover the following:
Yeah all of it and more will fit in easily. Gotta automate those lamps too you know? :]

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

Waiting... for... bootstrap... analysis....

Damn those things take time. I woke to a storm so decided to work today - am trying to but mostly waiting on my computer to crunch data. So here I is, talking (about) BS.

Am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. If I like it enough I'll landfill an island and build one on it. I've been working in the islands - 470 mining drills for the rocket raw resources, 105 oil derricks... Got a bit sick of infrastructure and went on a killing spree instead, You can run right into a pack of big worms dropping cluster grenades around yourself and survive if you get out quick. Devastates bases fast and a bit more sporting than fire.

On flame turrets - they're kinda cool but am not a fan. Trees are so good defensively, and the need to add pipes for the turrets makes them limited. That said once island life has settled down again from rocket prep I'll be trying a few more out for defenses.

Yay, analysis is finished. Back to work..

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

Here's the 4 belt BS I was talkin about in the Islands thread. It's incomplete, and i can see a few things to fix already but the maps a bit broken...

Anyways. Here's the gist of it.

The last ingredient for the 4th belt would have been bricks. for electric smelting, refineries (some oil building?) and perhaps walls.
Moving the inserter assembly over to join the belt assembly on the left side would give room for pipe then oil production buildings in the centre.
All the robots do is supply me when I turn up from a bunch of passive provider chests in the BS.
Module lines were made till I got power armor MKII then broken down except for supplying speed capsules to destroyers. This used minimal resources to get there I'm not big on modules, and if you are, you wouldn't make them here.

I get supplied some red/green/blue circuits and gears, steel, iron, copper... So a stack inserter becomes a stack filter inserter if i need one, a fast inserter becomes a filter, a robot frame becomes what type of robot i want - all crafted very quickly when not short on the required circuits.

There are lots of reasonably obscure items in the game it's an individual's play-style that determines demand for them. Automate all the things you use a lot first.

There are obvious missing buildings here (eg assemblers, mining drills) because this is BS 2 in this game, I got lots left from breaking down BS 1.

The roboport range shows you could get pretty much all your needs within the area if you planned it well enough. This isn't well planned, just a proof of concept to myself I could run 4 mixed belts on an assembly line without lots of complicated crap or robots.
Attachments
Oceania17TheBS.jpg
Oceania17TheBS.jpg (135.2 KiB) Viewed 6294 times

Ninja_Dog81
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ninja_Dog81 »

Found this post at work, only on page 2 and want to read it all! Will have to bookmark for later when I'm home. Very interesting stuff folks.

I am always googling designs for inspiration but it is difficult to find exactly what you're looking for or enough different concepts. Would be keen to encourage people to upload sections of their factories, name it "green circuit production" and so on and make those images available in ONE easy to find place. Most of my factories are still entry level using designs from youtubers, google images and my own ideas but I would enjoy seeing what other people create.

Roughly 300 hours and I still haven't launched the rocket... just can't bring myself to do it until I have the "perfect" factory, one which deserves to launch the rocket.

Also I LOVE the trains, so I spend way too much time playing with them :)

Hopefully I will catch up to this post tonight! Later all.

Case
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Case »

I took your great idea and this is what I was ending up after a bit. Its just the first try and there is plenty of room to optimise the item groups. I used the second iron patch to "refeed" the iron side of the mainline and so I could put the research at the end of the line. I have not all items on the line, only the one I needed but the line can easily more extended .. or you just use the outer side of the blocks as well - like I said, plenty of room to optimise.
Map
Overview
Detail
Take Care

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

That's an interesting take on a building store. I welcome all to have a go who knows what might evolve. Is that the no crafting achievement you're about to get?

I'm kinda bored with Factorio now. Probably because I've played nearly 1000 hours :lol:

Have an awful lot on, might re-enjoy it with a bit less pressure to not be muckin about gaming.. :mrgreen:

So probably see y'all soon when all my analyses are done.

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

I was a GOOD boy and totally nailed my masters instead of skiving playing Factorio. Now they've offered me a doctorate but not for a while so I can indulge in games for a bit...

I used a building store and attempted to get the There is no Spoon achievement - which entails launching a rocket in 8 hours.

first run - 8 hours 1 minute 52 seconds LOOOL! Way too much superfluous research and production.

Second run just under 7 hours. Got it.

I'll attempt another run sometime soon and document the aspects of it as it makes that achievement relatively easy.

Hope everyone is well.

Oh yeah, I go away 6 months come back and there's Grey Goo. Holy smokes Batman! Over my pay grade but... awesome!

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Thanks to everyone in this thread for putting the idea into my head to automate early game production. I've built some pretty big bases but never automated creating belts or inserters until much later in the game.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

I've really taken to using the approach since I learned about it from this thread (good 4-5 months ago now). It's amazing just how much of your early production runs on gears, green circuits, and iron and copper plates, which can conveniently be put onto 2 belts and ran along one side of a production block, with a little spaghetti on the bottom side, you can even automate feeding lower level materials into higher level items and hence automating things like Splitters and Red belts and such from a very early point in the game, limited the storage chests to 1 stack each to avoid excessive production of base building materials. I've build the early game this way on about 4-5 different bases now, with the longest running example now past 20h in and done with all non-purple science research, I can say that the setup is very efficient for bootstrapping from startup to at least midgame production scales. (Eventually you will want to start setting up larger factory blocks for late game scale production, but that is really only needed for the rocket. With some light use of Logistics robots, the other advanced recipes can be made to adequately large scales without much of a hassle. You can even stick to belts for quite a bit longer if you put belts on the other side of your bussed building store (BBS) line. I used Steel plates+Pipes for the 1st of those belts, and Advanced circuits+Batteries for the 2nd belt (handles all early through mid game recipes with a few exceptions).

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”