logistics bot "megabase"

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: logistics bot "megabase"

Post by Frightning »

vanatteveldt wrote:Well it was big for me :)

Anyway, I've just walled off quite a large chunk of territory, so I will be expanding the base. How do people with really big bases deal with the tedium of outpost building, even with very large deposits?
It helps to use the right map settings for the map generator. Set resource frequency to very low but size and richness to very high. This makes HUGE deposits which will last a long time but they are somewhat spread out. The resource settings help a ton to cut down on outpost tedium.
Setting the start area to very large will give you more time to set up before having worry about biter attacks (you can set them to peaceful if you only want to deal with them when expanding, but here again, very large start area is nice to give you ample room to get started in before having to deal with biter base clearing), as well as making it easier to get an organically built first base up and running to do research and such. Many people that make megabases do so only after building a 'first base' to get down the tech tree and unlock of a lot of the tech that makes a good megabase run smoothly (logistic network, trains, etc).

A lot of the rest is mostly a matter of mathing out good ratios for items you want to produce in large numbers and then engineering a tileable layout for the relevant production buildings (e.g. the famous 3-2 ratio for Copper Cable into Electronic Circuits).

DutchJer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DutchJer »

most people use the RSO mod, which increases the richness the farther out you go, that helps with the survivability of your outposts, but im constantly building new outposts, to keep up with my 10 rockets/15 min.

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AutoMcD »

DutchJer wrote:most people use the RSO mod, which increases the richness the farther out you go, that helps with the survivability of your outposts, but im constantly building new outposts, to keep up with my 10 rockets/15 min.
:lol:
I would think that would be the expectation, finding the resources to feed that kind of operation is a full-time job!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

For those that like megabases I might add some special threshold to RSO. For example going past 10k tiles from start would drastically increase richness.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

orzelek wrote:For those that like megabases I might add some special threshold to RSO. For example going past 10k tiles from start would drastically increase richness.
Or maybe exponential growth as an additional term? The config values could also have better explanations. Variables without formulae are confusing.

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”