No main bus, lazy bastard factory

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
exterathor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

No main bus, lazy bastard factory

Post by exterathor »

Hello,

I would like to show the factory I made to get the lazy bastard acheivement. I completed the game several times using main bus, and I also tried some megabasing. I am familiar with main bus and train setups. But this time I completed the game with no main bus and original train setups. I found a natural way to expend the factory and I would like to share what I found.

My factory can't sustain event 45spm, but I hope you will find it interesting. My factory is split into 7 subfactories. Most of theses factories has a mini bus structure. Every factory has it's how power plant (solar planels).

Step 1: Giant mall
I first made a starter base wich is basicaly a giant mall.

Step 2: Daw chemical plan
Then I expended to create a chemical factory wich is producing plastic, explosives... This factory is build close to an oil source and if possible close to a water source because it's consuming more water than oil. This factory had solar planels + steam power for the night.

Step 3: Taiwan cicuits factory
I expanded to create a circuits factory, wich is producing red circuits and is close to a copper source. Later, the circuits factory will receive several add ons, to produce modules for purple science, RCUs, blue circuits.

Step 4: MIT science factory
I expanded to create a blue science factory. The science factory recieves 2 add ons : for purple and yellow science.

Step 5: Arcelor steel works
Close to an iron source, I scaled up my steel and rails production for purple science.

Step 6: low density structures
I did'nt knew where to produce low density structures for yellow science. It could be an add on to the circuits factory, has it is copper intensive, but I choose to produce it in a separate factory.

Step 7: cap canaveral rocket launching site
I created the rocket launching site, close to an oil source for rocket fuel production.

Saint Lazare train depot :
In a main bus factory, trains are only used for raw ressources transportation. Here trains are needed to connect the 7 sub factories. I wanted a very simple and compact train system. I used 2 headed trains with ... no buffer chests. The refueling is made in a central train depot. This a very uncomon train setup.
In fact, belts are a small buffer. But the lack of buffer chests created bottlenecks in the production. And the 2 headed trains created deadlocks betewwen trains i wasn't able to solve. But the result is a very simple, fast to build, compact train system!

Conclusion
I realy enjoyed my lazy bastard run, and I aslo realy enjoyed wining the game with no main bus. I think this way of playing with 7 sub factories + a train depot is interesting and I would like to share it with other players.
Attachments
Tchernobyl _ nuclear power plant.png
Tchernobyl _ nuclear power plant.png (4.77 MiB) Viewed 1904 times
Taiwan _ circuits factory.png
Taiwan _ circuits factory.png (4.53 MiB) Viewed 1904 times
Stone Works.png
Stone Works.png (4.64 MiB) Viewed 1904 times
Saoudi _ Chemical Plant.png
Saoudi _ Chemical Plant.png (4.63 MiB) Viewed 1904 times
Saint Lazare _ train depot.png
Saint Lazare _ train depot.png (4.77 MiB) Viewed 1904 times
MIT _ science labs.png