My Megabase

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

My Megabase

Post by wobbycarly »

I would just like to share my 3k SPM base. It has run for the obligatory 10 hours with 6 science packs, and will also support military science. I did not focus on saving UPS, and it runs between 50 and 60 UPS on my modest PC. I don't like setting up solar, so it's powered almost exclusively with nuclear. While it's nothing spectacular, I'm quite happy with it. I actually wanted to MAXIMISE the number of trains in order to see as much activity as possible.

For each module, I focused either on maximising output (eg plates to 8 belts) or maximising input (eg, blue circuits takes in 16 belts of green circuits and the output is what it is)

10 hours science production.png
10 hours science production.png (88.75 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
Full map.png
Full map.png (798.44 KiB) Viewed 2963 times

This uses a left-hand drive train system, and on the exit from each module, the train can only turn left. While I haven't seen significant train congestion, I think I should have considered having the entrances to the modules also only be on a left turn. This would reduce the number of chain signals and I believe it would improve throughput a little, even though it would increase train travel.

The entire base is covered by a single roboport network to support train refueling and building new modules. The production hub and nuclear power area robot networks are segregated.

Segregated hub.png
Segregated hub.png (77.12 KiB) Viewed 2963 times

Rules:
  • At least 3k SPM
  • Use my own cityblock/module design
  • Maximise the number of trains running around
  • Don't care about biters
Relevant Mods/Cheats:
  • No water on map - waterfill mod used
  • Squeakthrough
  • No pollution
  • Peaceful mode
  • Long-reach
  • Spidertron extended
What worked/what I like:
  • Segregated robot networks
  • Modular setup - design once, place multiple times
  • Many-to-many train system
  • Fluid handling - each oil module produces lube, light oil and gas, and self-balances well enough
  • I used the quick-load raw resource station below
Fast-load station.png
Fast-load station.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 2963 times

What didn't work/what I don't like:
  • Trying to get 8 belts out of a 1-2 train is ... problematic. I don't think it can be done, so there are are lot of gaps in the belts (UPS impacts)
  • While I planned for each iron module (for example) to output 8 belts, the reality is that the inserter speed is an additional limitation, so the actual output is reduced. Therefore I had to add some additional modules for some materials
  • During design phase, I didn't actually know how many trains I needed - I just kept adding trains until there were no shortages
  • Module station design needed to be adjusted for items that need more than 3 materials (looking at you Military Science)
  • My dashboard doesn't work as well as anticipated

Happy to answer questions or provide additional details as requested.

Empty module:

Empty module.png
Empty module.png (42.03 KiB) Viewed 2963 times

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: My Megabase

Post by mmmPI »

wobbycarly wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:31 am
  • Trying to get 8 belts out of a 1-2 train is ... problematic.
It is "technically" possible to unload but it requires this viewtopic.php?f=194&t=58728&start=140

Then you run into another problem that is your train is emptied faster than the next train can replace it in the station.

Loading like in your screenshot is even more complicated :)
wobbycarly wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:31 am
Happy to answer questions or provide additional details as requested.

How many trains do you use ? :D

Can you show an indication of the "time usage" ? so that is shows train and train pathing vs entity & transport line.

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: My Megabase

Post by wobbycarly »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:32 pm
It is "technically" possible to unload but it requires this viewtopic.php?f=194&t=58728&start=140
Yeah, I'm not doing that! :mrgreen:
mmmPI wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:32 pm
How many trains do you use ? :D

Can you show an indication of the "time usage" ? so that is shows train and train pathing vs entity & transport line.
Hi mmmPI,
Thanks for taking an interest. Please see stats below. Note that due to the module design there are quite a number of unused stations without a name.
Debug Stats.png
Debug Stats.png (216.81 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
FPS.png
FPS.png (12.26 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
Trains.png
Trains.png (60.91 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
Cheers!

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”