Roboport Grid Layout v04

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
hyspeed
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Roboport Grid Layout v04

Post by hyspeed »

Hi,

A while ago, I shared my Roboport Grid Layout and here is an updated version for 0.15. The basic idea is a series of grids that are 48x48 tiles with a 2 tile 'walkway' in between. This sizing allows for complete roboport coverage. The exception is the center 'main bus' which is 58 high x 48 wide and has two roboports. This is a belt based layout and bots are used mostly for construction and personal logistics. I created this layout because I create new bases often and I found myself wanting a smooth, repeatable process when building the base. I am sharing so people who are wanting a guide (or structure) to help them play will have a reference.

This is a google maps view of the base. Now hosted by factorioMaps.com!

Blueprints

(might as well put these up top, eh?) Overview & Layout

This image of the base has beacons, but no modules. Adding modules will resolve some of the non-optimized layouts. The beacons are in a different book so they can be added later.

The colors are used to designate the portions of the base:
  • Light Green: Rail
  • Dark Green: Bus
  • Yellow: Refining
  • White: Unloading
  • Red: Smelting
  • Pink: Technology
  • Orange: Production
  • Purple: Research
I am experimenting with 'smelting' green circuits. That is; not belting the copper & iron used to make green circuits. I think that with beacons and modules, the numbers work to be better by not belting the resources for this component.
Caveats

Almost nothing in this base is 'perfect ratio'. Because of my artificial restriction of fitting areas into a grid and having the roboport included, sacrifices for efficiency and optimal production were made. With full modules and beacons, this base can produce rockets with infinite research, which is the goal. Also, while I attempt to minimize the mess of belts, some pasta is unavoidable. For belts, I follow the practice of 'minimal underground'. I like belts because I can see what is on them, so I keep the underground distance to a minimum. This base is done in red belt because it is accessible and cost-efficient to me. Upgrading to blue bets is expected when moving to beacons and modules.

Power & Resources

In order to use this base, a player will need to connect power and raw materials. There are blueprints for those included in the books, but they are not pictured here. For raw materials, all of the unloading stations of a type should be named the same (e.g. "Iron: Unload", "Copper: Unload"). The stacker will help them route 'good enough'. I prefer a brute force 'over supply' system for materials - provide more trains than the system requires so that a couple are waiting in the stacker. There are the minimums for each resource so that each resource has a near constant supply (coal is the first station I setup):
  • Iron: 9 trains (8 unloaders)
  • Copper: 5 trains (4 unloaders)
  • Coal: 3 trains (2 unloaders)
  • Stone: 1 train (1 unloader)
  • Oil: 3 trains (2 unloaders)
  • Uranium: 1 train (1 unloader)
To get the Rocket Fuel started, it is necessary to drop a couple of barrels of Red Oil into the assembler in each grid for them. You will have to barrel these manually. Sorry about that.
Storage & Stations

For Item storage, the Production Area stores completed components in chests in their 'end caps'. The 'trash sorter' below them aligns with these chests. With logistics robots, the location of these chests doesn't matter, but I like to know where they are. The circuit at the start of the trash sorter prevents the sorting belt from becoming clogged by limiting insertion.

The 'Railyard' uses custom filters for the wagons, pictured below: Mods

I use Quality of Life mods, mostly. For the blueprints to work correctly, you will need these mods: These mods are optional: Scratch & Starter Bases

To get the base built, I first build two other bases; a 'Scratch Base' and a 'Starter Base': End

I am constantly tweaking this design and enjoy updating it. Publishing this has been more of a challenge than creating it because i have been 'improving one more thing' for a few months. I hope some people get benefit from this and I hope we can all appreciate that we each play Factorio differently.

I did not create this layout all on my own. Many hours were put in by other people in multiplayer. I really appreciate all of the help I received from the people who joined my server and twitch casts to help create and improve these designs. I welcome all feedback and input.

(cross-posted on reddit)

thanks,
jon

edit June 18, 2018: added link to map view on factorioMaps.com
edit Feb. 16, 2019: fixed link to Outposts, Depots, Power, Rails v04
Last edited by hyspeed on Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

Ender Proyects
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Roboport Grid Layout v04

Post by Ender Proyects »

I love your base, is fantastic.

hyspeed
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hyspeed »

Thanks!

I am hoping with 0.16 the belts will be more optimized and the base will be better.

I may also create a bot version of this - e.g. migrate this to bots.

jon

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

How are you going to insert rocket science into the labs?

hyspeed
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hyspeed »

Hi,

Rocket science is sent to the labs along the right side of the map and grid.

Out of the launching area, there is a belt that goes a bit left, then up for a couple grids, then goes all the way to the right and up to the science area.

In the research grid, there is a belt along the right side that begins the feed of rocket science to the research labs.

thanks,
jon

onyxius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by onyxius »

Nice setup, do you have a current zip file of your setup anywhere?

hyspeed
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hyspeed »

Hi,

I haven't played in a while, but this is the last save I worked on.

jon
Attachments
fW3-MainSave_done.zip
(39.64 MiB) Downloaded 233 times

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

The Google maps view is awesome!
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

FuryFairy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FuryFairy »

Hey maybe it's a bit too late, but "Book: Outposts, Depots, Power, Rails v04" URL leads to 404. Would be nice to fix that. Thanks!

hyspeed
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hyspeed »

FuryFairy wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:20 pm
Hey maybe it's a bit too late, but "Book: Outposts, Depots, Power, Rails v04" URL leads to 404. Would be nice to fix that. Thanks!
:)

I plan to release a version 6 once 0.17 drops and I re-do science. I've made lots of improvements and am wanting to share!

jon

FuryFairy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FuryFairy »

hyspeed wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:51 pm
FuryFairy wrote:

I plan to release a version 6 once 0.17 drops and I re-do science. I've made lots of improvements and am wanting to share!

jon
Oh I see, makes lots of sense! Patiently waiting for 0.17 and your updates then, keep up the great work! =)

hyspeed
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hyspeed »

FuryFairy wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:21 pm
hyspeed wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:51 pm
FuryFairy wrote:

jon
Oh I see, makes lots of sense! Patiently waiting for 0.17 and your updates then, keep up the great work! =)
I forgot to mention I fixed the broken link.

FuryFairy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FuryFairy »

hyspeed wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:42 pm
I forgot to mention I fixed the broken link.
Thanks, really appreciated! :D

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”