My first (and so far the only) base

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
Stormtrooper
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

My first (and so far the only) base

Post by Stormtrooper »

Hi everyone,
Today I just felt like showing you the only save which I've played so far after roughly 40-50 hours (can't remember correctly right now). I've started this base right after beating the demo and purchasing the game. Mods that are included:
  • FoodIndustry - because if a game tells me to "survive" I simply can't stand the lack of hunger mechanic
  • Deep core mining - while I like expanding, in a game about an automation I felt like eventually being able to forget about ore depletion would be nice and that mod provided a solution to this without being cheaty as deep core mining is expensive and there are strong limitations about the deep core drills placement
  • Toggleable peaceful mode - I started with biters, but because of it being my first save resulting in too much time spent figuring things out I couldn't keep up with their expansion so I turned them off. I might turn them back on once I'll get tired of optimizing and will get myself into setting up a proper defenses before doing so
  • Space extension mod - in order to build a factory I need a valid reason to do so (just as it works IRL), so 1 RPM is obviously not going to work for me. This mod adds that reason to expand beyond the rocket, because FTL starships are obviously such a fun thing.
Self-appointed rules:
  • One save - just start sandbox right away and play till rocket (and FTL in my case)
  • No tutorials, guides, all that stuff - I took figuring things on my own as one of the best parts of the gameplay (sadly this part has zero replayability, one can only install new mods to make it live longer), only cirucits made my brain burn (because firstly I thought that it doesn't matter at which part of a combiner I click in order to connect it with cable and input and output go with the same cable). The only two times I broke this rule was playing the demo and train semaphores (the latter only because I firstly approached them as a traffic lights and didn't know that they separate rails into blocks so I have to always put a semaphore behind the junction too)
Here are the screenshots: (Sorry for maybe too long post, but I had to express it somewhere because it's such a wounderful game...):
Starting smelting.png
Starting smelting.png (1.63 MiB) Viewed 2921 times
The first smelting area and somewhere around my spawnpoint.
Legacy.png
Legacy.png (2.01 MiB) Viewed 2921 times
The "legacy" area - up to green science. After depleting most of the ores its only task is to produce conveyor belts as it's the only thing it can keep up with producing quantities large enough for my needs.
Food.png
Food.png (1.89 MiB) Viewed 2921 times
Food industry - very small, but it turned out to be enough. The walls mark the borders of my "legacy" zone which is everything I've created before switching to peaceful (and starting oil refining at the same time).
Food larger.png
Food larger.png (1.88 MiB) Viewed 2921 times
A larger view of the area from previous image.
Legacy-oil border.png
Legacy-oil border.png (2.04 MiB) Viewed 2921 times
The border between the legacy zone and the oldest part of the "modern" zone - oil refinery.
Oil refinery.png
Oil refinery.png (1.98 MiB) Viewed 2921 times
Oil refinery and oil-related products factory.
Blue science.png
Blue science.png (1.88 MiB) Viewed 2921 times
Blue science zone - produces red, green, blue, production and military science (the last two aren't visible in this screenshot, but appear on the next one) as well as some utilities like assmblers, inserters, solar panels or robots. Works (almost) independently from the legacy factory, but still uses that few steel or iron plates which come from it. Also most of the engines are produced within the borders of legacy zone.
Main lab.png
Main lab.png (1.89 MiB) Viewed 2921 times
Science bus with a train station that is used to transport yellow advanced science packs (which are produced elsewhere) into the labs.
Current smelting.png
Current smelting.png (1.84 MiB) Viewed 2921 times
Current iron and steel smelting area as well as the largest steam power plant I currently have (fueled by solid fuel).
Copper outpost.png
Copper outpost.png (1.97 MiB) Viewed 2921 times
Copper outpost and the first junction of my train network (firstly it was only the rails leading to and from the outpost crossing the other line).

The remaining three screenshots are in the second post, because I can't fit any more in this one.
And here's the save file in case someone cares about making a tour around a newbie's factory.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5xu8mhp1x7ak ... s.zip?dl=0
Oh, and please don't give me even the slightest piece of advice - I would like to only read the opinions about my first base, not break my second self-appointed rule.
Last edited by Stormtrooper on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:49 am, edited 9 times in total.

Stormtrooper
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: My first (and so far the only) base

Post by Stormtrooper »

The remaining screenshots of my base:
Oil&plastic station.png
Oil&plastic station.png (1.8 MiB) Viewed 2929 times
A station at which oil is unloaded and some oil-related products loaded in order to be transported into the yellow science factory (shown in the next screenshot).
Yellow science.png
Yellow science.png (2.07 MiB) Viewed 2929 times
Yellow science pack factory - my recent creation, still heavily inefficient by the lack of stable source of copper cable.
Southwest border.png
Southwest border.png (1.81 MiB) Viewed 2929 times
The southwest border of my factory. A copper and iron plating unloading station is visible. There are also two oil extraction outposts and one iron outpost north and southwest from my base which aren't shown in the screenshots.

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

Beautiful Spaghetti of empty belts :D

interesting you started with mods right away.

Stormtrooper
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Stormtrooper »

Hey, I hope you meant the legacy zone. :D
The rest is actually supposed to work. And for now copper seems to be the only real problem and I'm going to fix that the next time I'll play.
As for mods, I've barely restrained myself from starting with bobangels (because I've bought the game so who's gonna forbid me? :mrgreen: )

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”