Automated Expansion

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
ajranney
Inserter
Inserter

Automated Expansion

Post by ajranney »

I have been looking to build a factory that automates Expansion and I am at the point that It is almost complete. I wanted to share my factory with the community because I have been inspired by others that were interested in the same idea. I use a few mods to be able to do this and the main mod that is involved is "Recursive Blueprints". The current base size is 72 chunks square and increasing.
MODS
For those unfamiliar with the mod “Recursive Blueprints” here is a quick explanation. The mod allows for combinators to activate placement of a blueprint. When deployed the placement can be offset with additional combinator signals for X and Y offset.
I use the deployers to expand my roboport network and base. Currently the blueprint is roboports only but later I plan on adding laser turrets to expand through bitter bases and to keep my base secure. I also plan on allowing the base to automatically determine when to expand based on available resources in the logistic network.

There are 8 Deployers that are used. They each have some offset values that are provided to them to allow for universal calculations as if they were all at the exact center of the base. Currently they have a blueprint for the Roboport with 4 big poles on each side of the Roboport. The deployers make a new ring of roboports around my base with a distance (distance is equal to half the length of my square base) equal to the signal provided.
Deployers
Brain
Detailed example of top right deployer
I have an imgur album for those interested in the specifics of my base design:
http://imgur.com/a/DPvXZ

I also will attach the current save.
Future Throughts
Special thanks to:
Justarandomgeek for making the mod Recursive Blueprints
Doc for making the mod Recursive blueprints originally
GopherAtl for a proof of concept that inspired me AND the Combinators 101 information
Attachments
AutoFact9.zip
(56.06 MiB) Downloaded 453 times

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Automated Expansion

Post by aober93 »

Yea i wanted something like this, because manually expanding your base is tedious and boring. Gathering enough space to securely build an outpost takes like an hour or more. You can bet they rebuilt their nests in what you cleaned so it takes longer, before you secure it with a dense defense wall.

Toch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Toch »

I love it and i was trying to run mod by myslef, but cant figure it out.

So i downloaded your save to look how its done, but doestn seem to work for me :/

I assume if i delete some ports your brain should rebuild them right ?

and even if i copypaste it into my save i doesnt do anything :/

Do yo uthing you could give me like really simple tutorial how to set up my first Duplicate step by step ? To test if it even works, cos i was not able to get single autoblueprint yet..

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

I have no clue about all this.

But as far as i understand it doesnt work automatic (because theres no loop) you have to manual make it expand.. (dont ask me how)

ajranney
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ajranney »

@nuhll
The expansion is currently activated by adding one chemplant to the logistic network.
@Toch
To help you let me know what are you trying to do? What are you planning on doing in the future? What exatly are you "copypaste"(ing) into your save?
The current build doesn't repair old ports.

Toch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Toch »

I was trying to do this :) https://youtu.be/ygQSDEmY1Wc but thx for reply anyway :D

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”