"Going NUTZ!!!" - Now this is what I call a MEGA BASE

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: "Going NUTZ!!!" - Now this is what I call a MEGA BASE

Post by Keplergamer »

I just now realized that I didn't put any pictures of the megabase itself, or it's template so to speak. (Or was erased from Imgur, who knows....)

This is what I already did, subject to change, but imagine each of those columns on that very wide base for the base as one of these squares. That's what I have in mind.

Also a better highlight of what I think that should be my megabase and why do I call it Going Nutz

Only Yellow Belts
No modules
Lower Tier Possible for each recipe
Only Yellow Inserters with no stack bonus
No logistic bots for the base, only for my inventory
A giant refinery, leaving space inbetween each thing for safety like in real life.
Main bus at least 256 belts strong.
Try to go for one rocket every 10min, as this was the definition of megabase according to Negative Root. :mrgreen:
Don't care about PC performance, if the base can't be actually be run, just imagine what it would be like.
Logistic Embargo Achievment
No extra speed gimmicks on my armor, at least up to 6 days of gameplay
Always think "if I owned a this factory for real, and had to walk trough it for real, how I would like it to look like?"
A super mega robot system to help me build this massive base. But no roboports everywhere, this is unreal and ugly.
Also no splitters on the main bus (but this may be dropped)

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

You should disable pollution. With that size and that amount of concrete, you have thousands of chunks loaded coz of pollution and you have no bitters in the game!

Add the creative mod and disable pollution production. This just completely disable pollution emissions, contrary to UPS-up mod, that keeps pollution but makes abortion rate insane, so you still have pollution for bitters evolution but it does not expand and force loaded chunks.

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Ahh, great one!

I have an I7-4790 and am already struggling with UPS only with the mini-base. Specially when the 10000 robots are flying around putting concrete or removing wood. I don't wanna research robot cargo bonus either. And wanna have at least 30k bots. :P

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Now, on the todo list:
Considering replacing Mk II Bots with Mk IV Bots, as Mk II Bots easily get far away from the MK IV roboport and run out of energy before getting to a charge pad.
Remove all Mk II roboports that are everywhere, as well as the basic long pole, replacing by Mk IV which can be spread out way more, looking more clean and realistic.
Reallocate the solar panels to a more organized place, still not the final one, but at least more organized, specially now that I have the mod that auto mark any tree in the roboport area to be removed. :)
Put concrete everywhere and remove the trees
Draw on a paper how I'm going to make all the schematics, at least a draft before the real thing. Specially the amount of free space that a wanna leave inbetween each thing to keep it clean and tidy, and space for expansion that don't compromise this space inbetween.
Since there aren't many concrete colors, make a color code to how I'm going to use them, and make a base that looks like a real one, with lots of safety standards. (Like here, but even more varied: http://i.imgur.com/k7Xmbmb.jpg)
Consider whether I shall go straight for the rocket or mimic the base for the base and do all the entities.
Consider whether or not I shall install the petrochem mod, as it is exactly what I want for a huge refinery section, but probably gonna loose more than a day converting the base.

In total, still 12h to 36h before I can really start making the real thing. But is everyday closer (eternal factorio loop).

What do you guys think? :)

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

THE TUNGSTEN ODYSSEY <--- Click me!!!

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Spent a good amount of time optimizing production on a lot of fronts. Then removing all those ropoborts, chargin pads and electric poles on the way of the belts on the bus. Then linking the belts that stopped midway through the bus back to the end again. It looks nicer this way, eventhough it will take a lot longer to build everything, I still need to connect several itens to the chain. Specially Tier 3 and 4 robots.
Attachments
afds.png
afds.png (127.54 KiB) Viewed 8161 times

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

While I was waiting for the bots to come from all the other way of the bus to finish building. I decided to go ahead and make a draft of what's still missing to end this preparation.
Attachments
&quot;just&quot; those items remaining.
"just" those items remaining.
Factorio 2017-04-09 19-18-39-764.png (3.48 MiB) Viewed 8150 times

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Took some time but finally got a good blueprint of the ground, now much easier to expand it. Just wait for the bots.....
Attachments
Factorio 2017-04-09 19-45-13-898.png
Factorio 2017-04-09 19-45-13-898.png (2.59 MiB) Viewed 8150 times

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

And the blueprint for the assembly machines are also put now. Time to wait for the bots. I won't cross the bus while they're at it, the game kinda gets slow....
Attachments
Factorio 2017-04-09 19-51-48-654.png
Factorio 2017-04-09 19-51-48-654.png (3.69 MiB) Viewed 8148 times

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

0.15 & Petrochem Upgrade!!!!
Big update, (and delay for the megabase). I needed to upgrade to Angels Petrochem at some point, It was the dream of what I wanted for a crazy refinery section, so I finally did it, and since it would break my factory, I just removed hacked splitters as well, as they were eating most CPU and upgraded the game to 0.15. BUT, the main Angels Ore mod had to be removed for the update to happen, and reinserted afterwads, with it, I lost all my mined ores.

The base got broke in sooo many things - all ore feed removed, a lot of missing belt parts do to the hacked splitters just vanishing instead of being replaced to normal ones and then the all things petrochem coming to a halt. The UPS is now mostly at 60 though. :D

So, glad I had a lot of resources on the bus, I was able to make a lot of radars and gather a lot of big electric poles. Big search around the map and finally found all the ores I wanted. Meanwhile 6 days of gameplay have gone by, I wonder If I'll ever start this megabase.

Started playing with trains then, made my own rail blueprint and then was looking for my own way of making the load/unload of the stations. Well, in real life, trains don't just come and unload all things in the blink of the eye, neither they unload all that cargo with just 4 wagons, or need 2 locos for more. So I will keep using regular inserters, as well as a not so organized spliter distribution. And looking for each train to have 12 WAGONS, with only 1 loco. And also, we won't just have one magic chest to store all that ore, If I want to really store something, I'm going to save some extra space for things to look more realistic, not really sure yet how this section will look yet.

Anyway, here's the map of the current base, finishing to connect Bobmonium, the last key ore to keep things back running. Also just saw my first train lockdown after several hours of no problems.... :oops:

And here my first station layout, now with just 4 wagons, but planning to add more.

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Progress is very slow, but steady, beside some problems snowballing and eating a lot of time. I have now Bobmonium again, and made a nice 12 wagons unloading station, it's not the prettiests or most balanced, but I like it. :mrgreen:
Train Station.jpg
Train Station.jpg (283.92 KiB) Viewed 7889 times

And here's how's the map atm, can you spot the 3 new train stations?

Train Stations.jpg
Train Stations.jpg (554.14 KiB) Viewed 7889 times

Now, after reinstalling blue science pack of .15 and the new logistic science pack, I'm starting to attack more the petrochem problems. Still a lot to do to the the factory back up and running.

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Oh the petrochem chaos, spent a jolly good time and a lot of brain cells trying to figure out which of the 4 recipe chains I could use (and how) to make plastic, but got there. Also on a new 16:9 monitor.

After a little while it was obvious this needed an expansion, so this is the before and after of it:
Factorio 2017-06-15 15-57-42-506.png
Factorio 2017-06-15 15-57-42-506.png (4.12 MiB) Viewed 7788 times
Factorio 2017-06-15 23-46-51-355.png
Factorio 2017-06-15 23-46-51-355.png (4.19 MiB) Viewed 7788 times

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

I'm kinda stalled out at the moment, other things on the way and I'm not really sure what to do next.
I may need to expand the last plant to produce 4x more than it's doing now. I really need more bobs white circuits, the robot parts use a LOT of them. That might be a good thing to do next.
Oh, I also forgot that I still have to make a train for 1 or 2 missing angels ores, that are required to make Titanium and tungsten.

Other things planned is automating all the new researches, and make a train to bring the new natural gas, but maybe that's not necessary with all the alternatives that petrochem does, as I just fund a workaround on the last setup....

Other things, just to break the rithm and do other stuff, is work more on the mega base itself. Now that I have MK 4 roboports.... But I'm not 100% sure on that, as they send the Mk2 robots to far away from it's reach, unless I develop a blueprint full of recharging pads, just to I can put roboport coverage on all 3 500x500 pre-bus zones and remove all the trees, and put concrete over it.....

Just so I can start working on building the organizers and crushers massive plants. And also at least a draft of the slag processing plant, this one is needed asap as I'm making loads of them. For the megabase, I wanna make them in a way that the slags always have priority over other mined things, so we'll never fill their storage tanks. And I'm very happy thinking off the massive plant that it will be, all with space inbetween each section machine and nice safe ground and all that. Great to keep me going forward.

Anyway, here's a bonus, actually why I started this forum post at the moment, my save files list, might share them all one day, or at least some, since I'm building a very nice production line for anything that you'll ever want to start another base....

Also, new monitor, now finally recording in 16:9, but that's only after 6 days and 12 hours of ingame time....

Brogogo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Brogogo »

I would love a recent save file so I can walk around this base. This looks awesome. Seemed like the update from 0.14 to 0.15 really helped your UPS thanks to belt opt. The inserter update for the next update will also help make this map even more awesome. Keep us updated!

Brogogo

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Thanks for the warm support ^^

Gonna look after that, have to send also the modpack, that one is quite big, or maybe factorio itself already does the trick now....

Anyway, one thing that also helped was me getting rid of the hacked splitter. And there were severals on the start of the crushing and sorting, running non-stop.

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Finally put online the second part of the 12x time-lapses, the version with commentary, and realized that the first chapter of the time-lapses with commentary wasn't published yet, so those 2 are now online.

But chapter 2 is more special, as it's the first that shows the gameplay from 6h up to 13h00, all the chapter 1 and 2 were played in just 1 session, very special. ^^
Chapter 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZVPV_n ... gB&index=2

And here is all the links to that playlist

12x Timelapses with voice commentary instead of music - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 5meUqf9vgB
Chapter 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clm2By4 ... gB&index=1

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

I also updated the first post with all the links to the videos on youtube so far, here are they on this post as well:

Funny videos

Base for the base fun tour

The Tungsten Oddysey

Gameplay videos

12x Timelapses - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8lc8oL_SB9
Chapter 1a - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZaE0VnJc0E&lc
Chapter 1b - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQDrwJdyew

12x Timelapses with voice commentary instead of music - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 5meUqf9vgB
Chapter 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clm2By4 ... gB&index=1

Commentary on real-time and music on the time-lapse (Very handfull to make this style of gameplay, not sure if I'll keep going, feedback appreciated) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0oFCwE0sES
1a - Intro - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-tZKa4 ... 0oFCwE0sES
1b - First Music Time-lapse from 0h to 2h30 - Setting up science, bricks and belts production - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZaE0Vn ... 0oFCwE0sES
1c - Another real-time talk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svjfgee ... 0oFCwE0sES
1d - Second Music Time-lapse - Marking the edges of each area and the central corridor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQDrwJ ... 0oFCwE0sES
1e - Back to real-time - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8KMoCj ... 0oFCwE0sES

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Chapter 2 time-lapse with music coming on the next week, I made it but the video editor got and fuzzy obscure "504" error, and now the video creator itself is stuck with the video edit and I will have to download each music and mix it offline and then upload the 6Gigs(!) video.

That's why I'm also sharing all the links now, to see all that I've already done and what's missing. I can't wait to work on the next chapters, and the game again. Running out of computer space as I have around 130GB of TL to put voice over and music.

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Well, Chp 2 TL with music was a handfull, decided to put all my favorite songs, the feel good ones that I listened when I was getting close to the objective, all in the last 15min or so, because it's when all the hard work feels like it's paying off. But boy, took about 5 hours listening and watching to see how it could fit better and a lot of brain power, but once I started I couldn't stop until it was done, kinda like Factorio.....

But i'm finally about to mux the first version, now I have to upload each separate music to another channel and wait a while just to see if there is not any copyright issues, up to that moment, I'm gonna watch this on my Blu-ray and see how it goes.

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

Factorio 2017-06-25 05-39-47-966.png
Factorio 2017-06-25 05-39-47-966.png (657.59 KiB) Viewed 7604 times
Yay, decided, after watching the TL, to play a session working on the megabase...

but first, I would need a decent blueprint with the Mk4 roboport

then I realized that I'm not producing Mk4 roboports at the moment, due to the titanium shortage, which needs another train station gimmick and I don't wanna work on that again

so I planned how the bots corridors WOULD look like IF I had all MK4 things, so I designed a blueprint with it, but it goes so far that I lost a ton of time just going back and forth, then checking if all the poles were simmetric,

then, after that, I would redesign the same blueprint using MK2 roboports instead, but for that, I would need logistics extender tower,

so I ran after It

then a TON of time recheking each pole alignemnt and how I could fit all things around the poles better, for visual and pratical ways. After I finally did the blueprint, I expanded it a little to the side, so I could use that as a reference, instead of tearing it down.

Factorio 2017-06-25 02-34-41-692.jpg
Factorio 2017-06-25 02-34-41-692.jpg (631.5 KiB) Viewed 7604 times

while I waited for the bots to extend this, I dediced to see after 1 or 2 small problems around the base

then plastic was stopped, because there was no coal, then because there was no methane
the methane was because oil production had stopped
the oil production had stopped because the sulfur waste water or whatever it was ran out of sulfur dumping storage
then I remembered that I needed a TON of sulfur for this new slag processing on petrochem
so I decided to send a belt from the those oil fluids back to the saphirite organization

you know you have a megabase when you take 2 minutes planning how the belt will go, just to look at at it all again, and then during the process again and again because you keep getting lost, and even somethimes I felt like I was in a car, cause the belt I was building was suposed to follow one bus, and then take a left turn on the next bus. :D

and oh, look, there was the sulfur I was looking for, 2 days of gameplay behind, 2 storages with 51k of sulfur, this base is getting scarily confusing sometimes, I may loose a day just finding where I was producing something, give up looking after, and set a new plant just because I can't find the original one. :lol: Specially on the megabase 500 squares tall x 1500 wide refinery, or something......

and oh boy, where's the rubyte train?

no fuel, forgot to belt coal to the Rubyte Unload station
but I have no train, let's order one on the logistics and wait..........

while I wait, I wanted to look back to the plastic plant, using the map because it was too far away, and I couldn't because I don't have complete radar coverage. I was planning on filling this with Mk4 radar, but those will take a while, so screw it, I started putting Mk2 radars all over the base, enough is enough

started putting on the south, around the rubyte station and all...

only forgot to put it on the plastic plant :D

when I got there, production was stopped again

seems like the sulfur wasn't the problem, but the water purificator actually got the belt of purified water full,

heck, I have no idea where this purified water even goes, but i installed overflow valves and clarifiers to the 2 outputs and even to the wasted water before the clarifier (didn't know I could do that)

another thing that was bothering me was that I had no gold coming in, for more than 4 days of gameplay now, but it's only needed at the end of the bus, that when I see the 2 plants that need it, I don't wanna stop whatever I'm doing there to go back all the way to see what's the problem. :D

turns out I need to set the advanced rubyte sorting again, and that needed to clean the pipes for the new petrochem elements,

done that, finally got gold ore again, but no gold bars, another converter valve and finally it's going

then let's check the base for one final check before I finish this session

and why there's no zinc ore coming???

let's go to the Bobmoniun unload, it's been a while

oh look, 7 days of gameplay and 30 minutes, last time I looked it was 6 days 22h30!

Getting there, it's all full of tin and quartz, new storages all around

Somewhere around all this, I also put concrete on a lot of missing spots, and re-started the robots production...., everything robots tier 1 and 2 are SO hungry for white circuits, that I have stopped most of them, specially because both the roboports goes into the main bus, so I need like 1k roboport mk2 just to fill the gap inbetween it and the mk3 assembly plant. :?

At least now all the refinery is running again ^^
Factorio 2017-06-25 05-14-59-195.jpg
Factorio 2017-06-25 05-14-59-195.jpg (974.23 KiB) Viewed 7604 times
Anyway, another 5hours of video recorded, 110 GB of free space almost totally full and I never got to work on the megabase... again. At least all that was solved, a real bugfixing update. :mrgreen:

As a bonus, here's the production now, stating rise up again, not so high, but at least back from the dead....
Factorio 2017-06-25 05-04-25-715.jpg
Factorio 2017-06-25 05-04-25-715.jpg (635.83 KiB) Viewed 7604 times

And interesting to see, on the big long 50h graphic, you can clearly see, after tons of optimizations, I had the base running at full steam for a long time, until the 0.15 upgrade, then it all dropped and we are struggling ever since, a LOT of time after that. And so far I can't work on optimizations, mostly, as I still have to put all things back toguether, but not much on the way, mostly titanium. :mrgreen:
Factorio 2017-06-25 05-04-55-891.jpg
Factorio 2017-06-25 05-04-55-891.jpg (611.92 KiB) Viewed 7604 times

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”