Super compact blue FACTORIES. Made by Kwiz and Vel-master

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
GragSmash
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Super compact blue FACTORIES. Made by Kwiz and Vel-maste

Post by GragSmash »

Looking at these screenshots always gets the history channel "How it's made" theme in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... yzPk#t=43s

TwixMan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TwixMan »

love your super compact factorie :)

attached you can see my creation of a small factorie for red/green and blue science packs

cheerio
Attachments
factorio_small.png
factorio_small.png (1.85 MiB) Viewed 9390 times

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Macros

Post by ssilk »

It would be so cool, if it would be possible to store an area with all factories etc. on it, so that you can spread it and others can load it, see what's needed to build it/produce it, change orientation and place it.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Macros

Post by kovarex »

ssilk wrote:It would be so cool, if it would be possible to store an area with all factories etc. on it, so that you can spread it and others can load it, see what's needed to build it/produce it, change orientation and place it.
Blueprints, this is one of the stretch goals and we are planning to do this sooner or later (later more probably ^^)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool. This is really important to know, because with it, much of the current micro- and pico-managment makes suddenly sense.

So this thread was also about how big a stored area should be by maximum? :)

Phantasm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

0.5.3 Ultra compact blue factory

Post by Phantasm »

Inspired from vel-master's 14x17 factory, I made a bit of improvement into 13x15 size.

Maximun production speed of blue assembly machine and only uses items that can be researched before making first blue factory. Iron plate belt has to be as shown while copper plate and coal belts don't care on which side the item is. Electric poles within the factory cover all needed areas, so there is no need for specific outside pole placement. All done with basic game version 0.5.3 -- no mods needed.

And then there is a little mess with inserters to get only 2 feeding belts... Iron plate belt has to be as shown while copper plate and coal belt can have sides swapped.

This is guaranteed to work perfectly without getting stuck anywhere as long as there are enough iron plates at all times. Any other material may be short on supply without problems. If the long inserter from bottom left of iron/cable belt does not have any iron plates to pick, it will pick cable and will get stuck. However if this is often a problem, there is easy way to make filter inserter pick any cables to the left of the dropping point and another inserter to drop them into chest (or moving the existing fast inserter one slot to left and making filter inserter drop directly to chest).

wrtlprnft
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wrtlprnft »

Very nice work, I'm amazed how these things still get smaller.

To be completely fair, though, I see at least one trick that would not have worked on older versions, namely the way the second copper wire factory is fed (in both versions of your factory). This works because the hitbox of inserters has been reduced.

Phantasm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Phantasm »

wrtlprnft wrote:To be completely fair, though, I see at least one trick that would not have worked on older versions, namely the way the second copper wire factory is fed (in both versions of your factory). This works because the hitbox of inserters has been reduced.
Various things change from version to version. 14x17 factory from vel-master actually gets stuck in current version (rockets and advanced circuit overlap on belt).

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The idea of overlapping inserters is cool. And the way steel and circuits are filled into blue-potion-production.

Hm. Stupid question: One electric-circuit-assembly for 6 (?) assemblies? Isn't that a bottleneck? My experience says, that 4 are just about enough to making it work without getting stuck.

Hm. Ah! It's enough because there is also only one blue-potion assembly. Ok, my experience, that everything is more ore less in flow: 2-3 steel furncace, 7-8 copper-wire, 6 electric-circuit, 1-2 advanced electric circuit, two rocket, one production-line for the green inserter, 5-6 blue-potion.

I prefer currently to create every of the 4 end-products as an own production-street because this makes it easy to pinch off the stuff you need. (for inserters for example, I use smart inserters to put on every step the overproduction into a chest - when there are enough smart inserters and so on for every type of inserter above, so I produce one stack of every type of inserter). The end-products are then transported by logistic robots to the blue-potion-production, which is very near to the researchers. Because the end-products and the blue-potion is so expensive I try to avoid building belts for it and do nearly just-in-time-production (only very small buffer for the logistic-robots, because they normaly need some time to come and fetch it and then the production would stop).

For electric circuits it is a little bit special: You need masses of ECs in the game. So I tried yesterday to drive a mix of JIT-production and far-delivery, to reduce the total number of EC-assemblies. I put the overproduction of electric circuits at the end of a belt with smart inserters into a storage chests (limit about one stack) and a requester chest at the beginning of the belt (also about 50-100 ECs); a smart inserter inserts in the belt, if the end-chest lacks ECs. Use this for every production-line that needs electric circuits and the overall throughput becomes enormous. This works, because you will always have up- and downs in the needed end-products and you need generally never so many circuits in one production-line, only during peak-hours. And then the others are normally "free" to help with the production.

Phantasm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Phantasm »

Obviously this system isn't perfectly optimal use of the assemblies as you can only round to integers. In a larger system you could make it much more efficient. But still, designing such in minimalistic way would be much harder. For a quick system to do 4 blue factories compared to 4 of these, there probably wouldn't be much difference. Obviously easy usage of fixed 13x15 blue factory would need blueprints or such. Otherwise laying this out on the run would be quite a pain. So, currently this is mostly just proof of concept for minimalistic factory.

There is 'hi-speed-bus' style factory in one topic. That can be very easily expanded to any size and allows very easy extraction of stuff into chests for yourself. But it needs very large area to use. However, it is mostly enough to just have enough of incredients for most end products. Since it is mostly fast enough to manufacture the end product yourself if you have all ingredients ready. Thus it would be quite easy to design quite basic compact factory to produce ingredients for most end products and have it output to chests in amounts one can easily define with smart inserters.

In future with suitable blueprint system it would be very beneficial to micromanage various compact factories to be used in more fast paced gaming against enemies and such. Not sure if any mod is able to achieve this currently without either requiring high amount of extra items (like current blueprint mod) or making instant free placement a bit OP.

Good blueprint system would also make it worthy of spending time to design multi-stage factory. Early stage could be very similar to current 13x15 minimalistic blue factory, while you could expand it in stages to better optimize usage. Even my design could be quite easily be expanded into allowing second blue factory to be used. Whole inserter production chain is mostly idle and could do fine with another EC and cable production to support it. Not sure about even further expanding. But still as 2-stage factory it would already be much better than making multiple of current 13x15 slots. I suppose ideal case to fit most cases would be 3-stage system with 1, 2 and 4 blue factories in each. Then once 3rd stage has been reached one could just add another full version.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I like this thread, it shows what's possible with factorio...

And I like this thought: Small production-lines of one type of item are more efficient (in my opinion) than making a complex production line for only one high-end item. This is, because the assemblies are not operating at full capacity.
And also more efficient than making big, huge lines of basic items (wheels, electric circuits, copper-wire...), also seen in this board. This is because the ways between the lines are so long then, that a significant amount of item is needed just to lay around on the belts.
Finding the right way in the middle is the best. :)

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LoSboccacc »

resuming this topic now that the creeper pressure has reduced the starting base size ;)

anyone as already figured out the approximate ratio of fabs required to feed the blue factories?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Very good question.

I won't answer yet. :)

Instead I recommend that everyone may post his part of the factory producing blue potion.

wrtlprnft
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wrtlprnft »

ssilk wrote:Instead I recommend that everyone may post his part of the factory producing blue potion.
It doesn't quite fit the criteria of being specific to blue science packs, and I'm currently experiencing a shortage of iron plates. But still, here it goes:

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LoSboccacc »

wow that is a serious cable production chain!

I guess the U turn issue with belt is fixed?

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

It's never been an actual game issue, but a player-caused issue.
The recent(ish) topic about them was from someone's sloppy play that left an item in the middle of a dual-feed belt.
It's harder to cause, but it's still possible if you have a middle item-placer and have both sides also loading at the same time.

Off Topic: I'm seeing more and more posts about people screwing up how to play, and then asking that the game be "fixed" to accommodate poor player choices. :roll:
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

bosebuck375
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bosebuck375 »

The links are broken.

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

This thread was started OVER a year and a half ago.

Calico
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Calico »

bosebuck375 wrote:The links are broken.
uhm, you do realize that this thread is like over a year old? The setup that was presented here wouldn't even work nowadays, we had some HUGE changes since then. Also i got ninjaed.... that turtle came out of nowhere i swear! ;D

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

Calico wrote:
bosebuck375 wrote:The links are broken.
uhm, you do realize that this thread is like over a year old? The setup that was presented here wouldn't even work nowadays, we had some HUGE changes since then. Also i got ninjaed.... that turtle came out of nowhere i swear! ;D
You're too slow :lol:

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”