Belt Designs for ColonelWill

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
Tallinu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Belt Designs for ColonelWill

Post by Tallinu »

I still like my version better - uses two fewer underground belts, looks a little less confusing, and can be built slightly narrower if desired. :D

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vin »

Looking through that album Tallinu, is there a reason you use 6 inserters per wagon side instead of 7?

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Vin wrote:Looking through that album Tallinu, is there a reason you use 6 inserters per wagon side instead of 7?
Thats the old design of a balanced loading station :)
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Tallinu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tallinu »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:
Vin wrote:Looking through that album Tallinu, is there a reason you use 6 inserters per wagon side instead of 7?
Thats the old design of a balanced loading station :)
It's also usable before you get substations. And the difference between 6 and 7 is trivial, since you can't adjust a train's stopping time finer than 5 second increments, although it does help empty each full train-load onto the belts 16% faster.

And speaking of the album, I just added an inline 8-lane balancer to it. If anyone has a more compact version, I'd love to see it.

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vin »

I like the 8-way. Even if inline balancers take up more space, I find them much more visually appealing.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Tallinu wrote:I still like my version better - uses two fewer underground belts, looks a little less confusing, and can be built slightly narrower if desired. :D
Could you put some of those balancers on wiki?

While I'm not building that many belts.. yet - it would be good to have them stored somewhere :D
They look cool :)

Urbs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Urbs »

Tallinu wrote:I still like my version better - uses two fewer underground belts, looks a little less confusing, and can be built slightly narrower if desired. :D
Do these work well in 12.2?

sgt_cookie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sgt_cookie »

Urbs wrote:
Do these work well in 12.2?
Technically, yes. But from what I've heard and seen in-game, corners don't damage item flow anymore.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I think even side belt insert items as fast as possible now.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 4-lane lossless corner for ColonelWill

Post by TuckJohn »

Piranha wrote:
Your Design with Percentage
My Simplified Design with Percentage
But would this not work also with far less material
Also, I feel like the last one could be improved with underground belts to make it more compact but MS Paint is hard enough already.

And lastly, I would have to guess a design that doesn't have a single percentage over 100 would be the best result because technically anything over 100% is actually just causing a small back log so although you have 100% compression it is a result of backing up the throughput at that specific point to force compression to be full again.. but I guess the corners are losing some compression.. so you do need a bit over 100.. if someone could figure out the exact number you are losing aka the compression percentage after a belt turn then you could tweak the design again to fully optimize the throughput.

If I am missing something here please let me know :)
I do not work on any of this in-game but enjoy reading these discussions on the forums. :D

I probably sound like a nube(and feel like one too, even though I have 70+ hours in the bag), but could you explain (or point me at a forum page that will) what those calculations are and how to calculate them? Thanks in advance.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Krayt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: 4-lane lossless corner for ColonelWill

Post by Krayt »

TuckJohn wrote:
Piranha wrote:
Your Design with Percentage
[...]
I probably sound like a nube(and feel like one too, even though I have 70+ hours in the bag), but could you explain (or point me at a forum page that will) what those calculations are and how to calculate them? Thanks in advance.
I am relatively new to the game too. But I think the percentages simply are the relative parts which are a product of the 50% / 50% Splitters.

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

It doesn't help that the math was wrong, as well. You can't have an output lane more than 100%. In the actual game, the back pressure would build up and force the other side of other splitters to output more, so an iterative process would be needed to calculate what really happens. Well, in previous versions, you could over-compress splitter outputs, so the only real way to figure it out would be to build it and test it. I've spent many hours doing exactly that. Most of the designs in this thread are completely useless in 0.12. Now, ColonelWill has my imgur account bookmarked and just references that if he needs a design.

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”