Simple 6-Science Sushi Belt

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
HadesSupreme
Inserter
Inserter

Simple 6-Science Sushi Belt

Post by HadesSupreme »

This design takes advantage of a simple fact: a yellow belt is 1/3rd as fast as a blue belt, therefore slamming 3 yellows together into one blue leaves us with a perfectly even distribution of inputs. No issues with backing up output or a lack of input, everything Just Works™

sushi.jpg
sushi.jpg (263.04 KiB) Viewed 3508 times

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple 6-Science Sushi Belt

Post by 5thHorseman »

Clever use of the inherent lane priority in side-loading. I've done similar with the implied priority in splitters and it's worked perfectly. I don't see any reasons this one wouldn't work as well.
With 3 belts with science on the right (like green) and 3 on the left (like red) you could skip the side-loading after splitting but before combining with the new stuff. For example, you don't actually need to side-load the green science coming away from the sushi bus. You could set up all 6 lines that way. EDIT or maybe not. I'd have to think on it a bit. My experience with splitters (and all 7 science packs on a single line) has perhaps tricked me into making assumptions about this setup that I shouldn't.

HadesSupreme
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HadesSupreme »

I think I understand what you are saying and that it would work, but would require the input belts to be rotated and tangled a bit which would be a less visually appealing than the nice symmetry it has now.

EDIT: Actually no, I think you always have to side load at least 2, because red+green and yellow+purple will always come out of the splitters on the same side but one of those left over lines has to be on the opposite side when merging into the combined belts. The Gray+Blue could be done without sideloading if they were flipped.

HadesSupreme
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HadesSupreme »

Messed around a bit, found another solution that works similarly but looks even more simplistic and clean.

One nice feature from this slightly altered layout is that it can be built from the start and scaled up with no mess. Green+Red fits on a yellow belt, +gray+blue fits on a red belt, +purple+yellow fits on a blue belt
sushi 2.jpg
sushi 2.jpg (625.84 KiB) Viewed 3490 times

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”