Smelting where you mine

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Smelting where you mine

Post by Engimage »

Vladmirangel wrote:Just improved the blueprint above my post a bit. made it so that the 2 belts are used by 2 smelters on both sides.
Blueprint
While still working there are several problems with this design:
1. It has very low mining density so you can't mine much from your patch
2. The speed of stone furnaces is twice lower than electric drill so you mine even slower so you might want to use steel furnaces
3. On-site smelting produces tons of pollution attracting biters like there is no tomorrow

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

That's from a very old save of mine :
spoiler
This setup is quite okay, but unfortunately, wou'll never be able to get the benefits of a heavily beaconized prod+speed module setup.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Vladmirangel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vladmirangel »

The smelt on site design would be best used early game IMHO. The perks of having a separate smelting area is definitely the use of modules and a greater mining density, but you dont have any of those at the start of the game. You also dont need overly productive miners early on since you havent gotten to a highly efficient and fast automated assembly areas. An added bonus which this gives early on is that It saves a lot of space. Chopping trees isnt the most fun activity when you dont have construction bots. this allows you to utilize more open space available to you early on.

But yeah i would definitely not do this strategy once i have train lines feeding to my uranium powered Electric furnaces. Definitely wont combine electric furnaces with steam power.

Edit: i would also like to point out that For Very big ore patches, your early game yellow belts can only handle around more or less 24 electric miners. with an ore patch big enough, a dense mining setup wont reach the ore patch end to end

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

I fixed the image so it shows up again. As pointed out by many, this is only useful in the window between steel processing (you really need steel furnaces and medium poles) and moduled/beaconed electric furnace smelting.

gnatch
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gnatch »

yusssh something i spent wayyy to much time on and can now share. this is mine a 'lil tighter.

the ratio isn't optimal on smelters to miners, all mine back up in the miners... but, who cares! less clutter in my teeny early base. the photos are using steel furnaces and have the out ug belts replaced with reds. but in the blueprint they're still yellow
Image from my later game.
Image from my later game.
20170923162759_1.jpg (681.23 KiB) Viewed 4913 times
offsetting them makes it so you can pack more miners in the same patch.
larger patch showing offset
larger patch showing offset
20170923164437_1.jpg (694.52 KiB) Viewed 4913 times
blueprint for stone furnace input and output from same direction:

Code: Select all

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
blueprint for stone furnace input on opposite side of output:

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
blueprint for steel furnace input and output from same direction:

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
blueprint for steel furnace input on opposite side of output:

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
also not optimal on poles but w/e. I will clean them up if i care.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

I can actually see me using this, sacrificing some speed on the mining of a specific patch to not have to deal with a smelting area, I wouldn't mind tapping more resource spots over all especially with less bots or belts handling the smelting fewer over all inserters, there are trade offs, yes but :D

... 2 weeks without a gaming computer at all times and I'm actually learning stuff I hadn't thought about XD

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Vladmirangel wrote:The smelt on site design would be best used early game IMHO.
Honestly I wouldn't even use it in early game... because the resource patches nearby in early game are even faster gone than the ones far away in late game.

I simply don't feel like moving that much of the static infrastructure (which I count the smelting towards) every time a resource patch runs dry.
Koub wrote:This setup is quite okay, but unfortunately, wou'll never be able to get the benefits of a heavily beaconized prod+speed module setup.
That's another reason for why I wouldn't consider smelting on site.

Without PM3/SM3 Beacon setup one won't really go far anymore due to how the game turns into a real grindfest after midgame.

If I have to build outposts every now and then I want to them to be the bare mininum possible... and with the highest possible output, so as many miners as fit spacewise...

Smelting on site reduces the mining density extremely AND requires a lot of additional infrastructure (like getting the coal/fuel to the outpost to feed the steel furnaces, more defense because of higher pollution, etc, etc)

So basically I fail to see the advantages of smelting on site... except for the compression factor, which I'm willing to compensate with longer/more trains.

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”