Mid-game bot designs

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Mid-game bot designs

Post by vanatteveldt »

Bot designs are generally a bit boring, but since I've moved over to using the 'quick start' mod I've started using bots a lot earlier and I wanted to get some good design building blocks for things like circuits and science packs.

The goals are
- Correct ratios. Note that I play with marathon / expensive recipes, so that changes a number of ratios.
- Direct insertion of prerequisites, especially for things like cables where output > input. Things like gears, steel, or green circuits are less interesting as input > output, so it can be more efficient to create the gears (etc) as close to the raw material as possible and let the bots carry the intermediate rather than the raw.
- Compactness. This helps create a small base and means less work for the bots.

First designs for green/red circuits:

Designs with 2 blocks are slightly more compact but probably not enough to warrant the reduced flexibility: 2 reds reduce tiles/output from 63 to 60.5, 2 greens from 99 to 93.5.

All feedback / suggestions / improvements welcome! All designs have quite a bit of 'whitespace' left, so I'm sure there is room for improvement!
blueprints

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mid-game bot designs

Post by mrvn »

You should leave space for the roboports even if you don't add one on every block.

Also having blocks of a common dimension would make it easier to combine them. The single red circuit block is 9 wide, the rest 11 so I would drop the single red circuits.

wpirobotbuilder
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Mid-game bot designs

Post by wpirobotbuilder »

You should use a regular roboport when testing, not one of the Creative mod roboports. The creative ones result in lower bot usage because bots charge faster. I discovered this when designing compact bot-based setups, that some were completely unfeasible because I couldn't place enough roboports to satisfy the charging needs of the bots.

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”