1.4 Reds/s

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
DemRat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

1.4 Reds/s

Post by DemRat »

One of the common problems I face in this game is that no matter what layout I start with, somewhen it always fails because the belts don't have enough throughput and extending the system would make everything weird and ugly. While it may be fun to jury-rig a system to handle in/outputs that it wasn't designed to handle, over time it got more and more tedious as our main bus got more and more cluttered with belts not originally present.

So I thought to myself: No more of that!

Introducing: The 1.4s Science Pack Blueprint series.
The goal is simple: Create self-contained Blueprints capable of outputting exactly 1.4 Science Packs per second under optimal conditions while using as many Productivity Modules as possible, being compact, wasting as little assembly machine speed as possible and not giving a sh*t about energy consumption.

The method is simple, too.
Step 1) Create a spreadsheet detailing the required resources, the total crafting speed percentage required and all of that for each step of the way.
Step 2) Design a factory with the given parameters.
Step 3) Iterate on the design to fix errors and increase compact-ness.

Here is a Screenshot of the Spreadsheet for Red Science Packs:

A quick breakdown:
  • Required per Second: For everything besides the Pack itself, this is how many of this Item are required per second (duh). For the Pack, it's how many you'd like to produce per second.

Crafting Speed: The base crafting speed of the corresponding facility. In this case, both items are produced in Assembly Machines 3, so both have a CS of 1.25.

Crafting Time: How long the item takes to create without modifiers.

Output: How many items the recipe creates itself. For example, the wire recipe yields 2 items per craft, so its output would be 2.

Prod: How many productivity modules are to be used in each facility. This value can be changed based on preference.

Cycles per Second required: One of the two major calculations in this sheet. It shows how many crafting cycles have to be completed each second to produce the required amount of items when considering productivity modules.

Percent Speed required: The other major calculation. This is the total percentage points of the base speed required to produce the required amount of items, assuming that each facility is stocked with the given amount of productivity modules. Note that speeds in Factorio stack additively, so if you have 1 Assembly Machine 3 (100% speed), 4 productivity modules within it (-60% speed) and 1 Beacon with 2 speed modules (+100/2 = 50% speed), your end result is (100% - 60% + 50%) = 90% total speed.
I did not include anything smelted or refined in the calculations, as these processes are easier to automate at a large scale and are usually required for things besides science packs, so integrating them directly would make the blueprint rather large and complicated without having that much of a benefit.

From the given table, we can read 2 important things:
First, we only need as single AM3 with 4 Productivity Modules to supply the required amount of iron gears. In fact, this single machine will considerably overproduce.
Second, we have a nice, round number of 400 for the required speed percentage for red packs. As each AM3 with 4 Prods has a speed of 40%, we see that we only need 5 AM3s for red packs plus a single double speed beacon affecting 4 machines. (5 * 40% + 4 * 50% = 2 * 200% = 400%)

These conditions are optimal for a rather nice blueprint:

As long as this factory is supplied with 1 copper plate per second from the bottom left belt and about 3 iron plates per second from the bottom right belt, it will output precisely 1.4 red science packs per second from the top middle.

Here's the Blueprint string (v. 0.15.18):
Blueprint
If you have feedback to my methods, the blueprint itself or my writeup, feel free to comment below!

eX_ploit
Inserter
Inserter

Re: 1.4 Reds/s

Post by eX_ploit »

Why 1.4 packs per second?

DemRat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DemRat »

eX_ploit wrote:Why 1.4 packs per second?
By standardizing all of these Blueprints to 1.4 packs per second, upgrading your science pack production is as simple as supplying one additional set of these Blueprints with enough materials. The .4 comes from the Productivity modules.

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

DemRed, you made it to blue belts and still have an issue with red science? I don't really understand the problem you are trying to solve. With a full blue input belt of iron plates, you can almost (39.2/s) fill a blue belt with red science if you use productivity modules. Do you want to scale up even more??? I can see your point, though, if extending to yellow or white science.

I relpy because I find the idea intriguing to build a small setup that is easily scalable for science. Has anyone build a (relatively) small setup, that gets basic stuff (iron, copper, coal, plastics, steel, green circuits, +/-) as inputs and that gives you a very small amount of ALL science packs as an output. The point would be to make sure that the output is equal for all sciences however short the input is. This would be a brick to easily scale up science. It might even include the lab to also burn the science. The input should be a max of about 8 blue belts total, something a medium sized train station can deliver.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

When you have access to pod3 modules and beacons with speed modules the least of your concerns is a red science build. Especially with the rate as small as 1.4/sec...

DemRat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DemRat »

Did I say that I'm finished? :P

I'm currently working on the 1.4/s High Tech setup, green through Production are already done. Once I have a blueprint for each Pack type, I can create a factory that creates exactly 1.4 packs per second of every type as long as it is supplied with enough material, so there is no bottleneck besides material input, which is considerably easier to extend than a BUS-based factory.

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”