Compact Processing Unit Factory

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Compact Processing Unit Factory

Post by pib »

I decided to create a compact mostly perfect ratio processing unit design using level 3 assemblers and no modules. The factory should pretty much consume an entire express belt worth of copper and 5 oil refineries worth of petroleum. The only inputs are oil, coal, water, iron plates, and copper plates.

It includes an output for red and green chips as well so it can used to build modules, but hardly any of them will come out if the blue output is not blocked.

Also of possible interest is the compact perfect ratio 5 oil refinery 7 light oil cracking 1 heavy oil cracking design I created and is part of this blueprint
blueprint
Last edited by pib on Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 15 times in total.

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Compact Processing Unit Factory

Post by MrDrummer »

What is the output rate of the Blue circuits?

Also, by "perfect" ratio, do you mean in terms of how long it takes to craft them, meaning that 5 red circuits and 20 green circuits will just complete in the time it takes for a blue circuit to craft?

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

Sustained speed is over 50 processing units per minute. By perfect ratio in this case, I mean that nothing will go completely idle if you clear the belts and then keep it 100% supplied. The ratios are not completely exact, so there will be some idling.

Edit: after further testing, two of the processing unit factories do idle if the belts are emptied - I might be a green electronic circuit factory away from saturating the processing unit assemblers, but the copper express belt is completely consumed, so adding another wouldn't help without supplying additional copper than will fit on a express belt. I think.
Last edited by pib on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

So 50 blue processing units/minute means 250 red circuits/minute? :O

I shall use this as inspiration for when I build my external circuit production facility.

To make it slightly more "modular", you could move the refinery set-up to the far right side (turned 90 degrees), so that if you do not need the oil processing and cracking for petroleum, (because you are building this with a supply line built-in), then you can just "snip" that module from the design. May allow for a few extra green circuits too (maybe for an additional supply for after the blue circuits too, to save the shortage in a module scenario).

Anyway, i shall look forward to using this in a future build.

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

Blue uses two reds, so 50 per minute means 100 reds per minute. Red make 2 in 16 seconds, while blue uses 2 in 15 seconds, so my ratio is off - with 16 red assemblers I only need 15 blue ones. But it fit nicely this way and I'm not trying to be purist.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Great setup!

Any idea how many copper mines you need to saturate a blue belt?

How much iron does this setup consume?

Bart
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bart »

Would be nice to post this setup in viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6008
I have the cape.
I make the fucking whoosh noises.

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

Looking at the production screen, I think it consumes about 2.4k copper and 1.4k iron per minute. I'm not sure how many mines that equals off hand.

As I think I've said, this will completely deplete the copper coming in from a single blue belt, and so adding more copper wire assemblers will not help sustained production of any of the chips. I have plans to add production and speed modules to offset the minor ratio deficiencies. I'll guess that green needs to produce 10% more output with equal inputs in equal time, and red needs to produce 5% more in equal time with equal inputs; if your goal is to keep up with 16 unmodded blue assemblers. Oil production can be slowed a bit to increase production relative to the input amount.

Also, I'd like to remove that bulge on the bottom with the coal... I tried for a bit but so far haven't had luck.

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

I removed the bulge at the bottom, so I uploaded a new pic and blueprint string to the top of this thread.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

That's a very nice factory. Reminds me of my own red circuit design, but yours doesn't use logistic robots.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”