Space Optimized Green Circuit Design

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
Ashaman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Space Optimized Green Circuit Design

Post by Ashaman »

Got a collection of 0,17 mid to late-game blueprints for fully compressed 4 belt output Green Circuit builds in both Red (7,2k/min) and Blue Belt (10,8k/min) outputs. I designed it so as to condense the layout at much as possible (for the shear challenge of it) which I was able to condense the design down to a 100% space efficiency (669 of 693 tiles = 96,5% space utilized with a 21x33 tile footprint) with zero lateral gaps between beacons and assembly machines. Best part is that the base blueprint is tile-able so you can actually use it starting when you get substations and add the modules and beacons as you get them.

*I avoided having any extra inserters or items that did not directly affect the production rate*

Design Requirements:

Tile-able
Substation aligned
Aesthetically pleasing
4 Fully compressed output belts
Smallest footprint possible

Cooper goes to the outside belts and iron plates on the two belts closest to the assembly machines in the inside. Output belts are the four belts located in the middle of everything!

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Graiver
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Space Optimized Green Circuit Design

Post by Graiver »

A few questions,

Don't you have a problem with the copper wire throughput? I always use a 3:2 ratio...
EDIT: I see you tweaked this with the beacons. Verri naajs.

The chests between the iron belts and the circuit factory are there for transfer only I assume?

And lastly; I believe you'll get a shortage of copper feed as you need (again) the 3:2 ratio. With the current setup your column will be limited by this and thus won't achieve full blue belt capacity. This can easily be fixed by using long handed inserters stacked against each other to reach a third belt which you could add to the sides. That's what I'd do, otherwise that's a nice fit.

P.S. Can you add more beacons by using more underground belts? I see all belt space unused by inserters as a waste so...

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

Graiver wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:12 am
A few questions,

Don't you have a problem with the copper wire throughput? I always use a 3:2 ratio...
EDIT: I see you tweaked this with the beacons. Verri naajs.

The chests between the iron belts and the circuit factory are there for transfer only I assume?

And lastly; I believe you'll get a shortage of copper feed as you need (again) the 3:2 ratio. With the current setup your column will be limited by this and thus won't achieve full blue belt capacity. This can easily be fixed by using long handed inserters stacked against each other to reach a third belt which you could add to the sides. That's what I'd do, otherwise that's a nice fit.

P.S. Can you add more beacons by using more underground belts? I see all belt space unused by inserters as a waste so...
The productivity modules in the cu-coil assemblers increase the output by a factor of 1.4. This is close enough to the required ration of 1.5.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

The productivity moduled ratio is about 16:15
So with 1:1 every now and then the circuit assembler will be missing a bit of wire. But that's ok as it greatly simplifies the design

And that's before you bring speed beacons into it. Here the copper assemblers probably run a bit faster and make up that tiny difference

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Hi, this is my solution to produce a perfect fill blue line of Green circuit.

the image take and assembly and his mirror, so 2 perfect fill of green circuit are generated

It should be add in the game: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67650 :)

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Tekillaa wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:54 am
Hi, this is my solution to produce a perfect fill blue line of Green circuit.
Congratulations on compressing that somehow. I tried redoing that by hand and even doing basically the same thing I get small gaps for some reason

An alternative that works more easily is to add one additional copper wire assembler. At the cost of one more machine you get by with 20 beacons:

GCSingle.jpg
GCSingle.jpg (190.45 KiB) Viewed 33263 times

This can also be increased to two builds in a row. One half is stretched with insertions through a box in order to make space for underground belts. Also makes some creative use of beacon spacing to preserve the speeds as before:
GCDouble.jpg
GCDouble.jpg (153.47 KiB) Viewed 33249 times

EDIT:
* fixed inserter positions to place the fast before the stack inserter
* added two fast inserters to double build to help with the wire insertions. This lessens the load of the box inserters, which struggled a bit before under certain circumstances
Last edited by Serenity on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Some little details are very important :

1) for the feeding, always the blue inserter first on the line then the green one, the blue one first grab more easily mats before a stack inserter who grabs everything on the same time, its give fluidity to the entire assembly (so one blue then one green for inserter input)

2) the last greencircuit assembly, who fills the line, got is stack inserter output to 6, it gives a regular pattern to the inserter output for getting the same rythm than the last factory
without those 2 conditions, this is 99% perfect fill, not 100%

I like the way you got optimize again what i have done!!! ty, it ptobably eats less electricity for he same result, i got to check

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Preserving the 1:1 assembler ratio is still very nice. It's why I tried it. But I assumed that the extra beacons to speed up the copper wire assemblers would be enough. I had no idea the output would be that tricky. In my build simple sideloading at the end did the trick

Good point about the stack inserter gobbling up all the stuff if it goes first

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

If the part with the stack size set up dont work because of ups or other, the other output solution i got for my design is this, but it requires a splitter and electric pole come into the assembly :s

i actually use the stack size set up BP for my own factory

i think i can make the same side loading as yours but i ll think about it later, your design is fine, ppl got choice now :)

drizzle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by drizzle »

I've been using this design to compress a blue belt. It uses 4 assemblers for circuits didn't realize it could be done with only 3
greencircuit.png
greencircuit.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 33275 times

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

drizzle wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:11 pm
I've been using this design to compress a blue belt. It uses 4 assemblers for circuits didn't realize it could be done with only 3
well thats is the serenity version with the good inserter order (read previous post), and the mirror version for belt input side balancing. Serenity, you definitly gonna be a good mate for creating efficient lines ;) you make me earn 3mw on each green circuit lines o/

Last edited by Tekillaa on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

I updated my original post with proper inserter order :)

I don't think double up on the copper wire inserters is necessary. Seems to work fine with just the stack inserter

The double design seems to have some issues when the chest buffers aren't filled a bit, which happens in creative mode at start up when you consume everything right away. And every now and then can still still be a tiny gap when the buffer empties. But for me that's tolerable. In practice it should back up now and then to allow the buffers to fill.
EDIT: Here the double wire inserters actually help by moving just that much more wires and thus lessening the load on the box inserters :D

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

Nice!
i had some unholy spaghetti going
Serenity's is better solution
Look at this mess :mrgreen:
green circuits.gif
green circuits.gif (9.61 MiB) Viewed 33204 times

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

It's not really bad. The question is if you care about energy efficiency, in which case you may want to minimize the number of beacons. It's not insignificant, but with a large nuclear plant you could stop caring.
Or if you want as few machines as possible, which may be slightly better for UPS if you have a lot of these things

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

Thanks:) when i reach this stage of the game i am megafactoryminded, energy use is trivial. UPS is prime concern.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Serenity wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 pm
I updated my original post with proper inserter order :)

I don't think double up on the copper wire inserters is necessary. Seems to work fine with just the stack inserter

The double design seems to have some issues when the chest buffers aren't filled a bit, which happens in creative mode at start up when you consume everything right away. And every now and then can still still be a tiny gap when the buffer empties. But for me that's tolerable. In practice it should back up now and then to allow the buffers to fill.
EDIT: Here the double wire inserters actually help by moving just that much more wires and thus lessening the load on the box inserters :D
Some clever guys up topic gimme an idea : compressed 4 belt provider, i made some upgrade to your bp

Edit : -some belt side balancing for each input lines
- you can put 1 efficiency module on the last beacon and in the middle one, it give around 1mw economy for the same result (for 4 lines 125 to 124)

I'm pretty sure it can be more compressed, but i give the raw idea to share
Last edited by Tekillaa on Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Ah, belt weaving again. Didn't think of that. And somehow I don't think I like it too much (no real reason, just a feeling). I also seem to mostly think of it when something actually only needs a red belt. But here one isn't sufficient, so I would have dismissed it

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Here is a design that only uses 14 beacons.

45 circuit_s.jpg
45 circuit_s.jpg (365.66 KiB) Viewed 33001 times

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Nice one!

For 4 line we got the total of 121 mw instead of 124mw and i guess less beacon is maybe better for ups, im lookin for a way to have 2 line in the same row but it's look like compromised :/

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

As far as i understand, beacons don't affect UPS; inserters, belts, and assemblers do.

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”