Pre-Electricity Designs. What do you recommend?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
PTTG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Pre-Electricity Designs. What do you recommend?

Post by PTTG »

Suppose I wanted to build an entirely self-powered Iron Plate mill. I have a coal deposit and an iron deposit right next to each other, what's a good design for an efficient plant running entirely off burner-based equipment?

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Pre-Electricity Designs. What do you recommend?

Post by Engimage »

This is not a place to ask questions. This would belong to Gameplay Help

However I'll answer a bit
You should start off self-providing coal mining. That should look like
https://puu.sh/owtKU/42e1239c5d.jpg
Instead of offloading coal to the chest just continue the belt to your iron deposit and feed miners/furnaces from this belt. As always direct feed furnaces from iron ore miners.

But usually people do not build such stuff. You can go for circular 2-4-6-8 coal miners feeding each other in a circle way so they start accumulating coal in their fuel banks (up to a full stack) which can be easily collected from them by Ctrl-clicking

Then you manually feed the coal into iron miners/furnaces which do direct feed iron ore into furnaces. Feeding is best done by holding coal in your hand and Ctrl-rightclicking on machines so that you deposit only half of what you are holding in your hand.

While machines are working you should hunt for stone to build more furnaces - mining drills.

In this manner you will run through burner phase in 20 mins or so without building complex infrastructure for it.

Edit:
Found a really neat build by Klonan

Return to “Gameplay Help”