Submitted for peer-review: My design for a balanced, multiple item handling, order receiving train station.

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
Bolletott
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Submitted for peer-review: My design for a balanced, multiple item handling, order receiving train station.

Post by Bolletott »

Hi, all!

So, I'm on my first game, and because this game potentially is so complex, I've played it very slowly. I'm at 115 hours, and the last thing I did was set up production of Utility Science Packs (yellow), and research laser turrets, even though I'm playing at the default difficulty level.

The reason for this is that what I like the most about this game is to make clever, efficient and flexible designs.
The last several hours of gameplay, I haven't progressed in the tech tree at all, because I've been working on understanding the circuit network, the train system and finally designing my dream station.

It's probably nowhere near as fast as other designs, but I think it's neat, space efficient, easy to maintain, and fun. And I haven't come close to maxing out its through-put potential yet, so who knows. Not me, I'm just a beginner who loves to think of and solve problems.

Anyway, when I finally got it working, I decided to write a detailed document, explaining the whole thing thoroughly. As I write in the document:
I will be explaining this very thoroughly. Too thoroughly, many will probably say, and not read this at all. I still choose to do that, thinking that in the end, it’s more efficient. To me, it’s better to have people read for twenty minutes, but then (hopefully) understand everything when they’re done reading, rather than give a very short description that takes two minutes to read, but then have them sit for an hour trying to keep track of all the moving pieces themselves.
So my hope is that someone will actually read this, think about it, and give suggestions for improvements if they want, and some kind words if they think that is in order. Best case scenario is that someone has fun reading about my little journey with this, and that someone decides to use my design in their worlds.

If someone decides to read it, but some things are unclear, don't hestitate to ask. I'll try to answer promptly.

So, without further ado, I give you my design: Bolletott's balanced, multiple item handling, order receiving train station.
To comply with forum etiquette, I'll also supply the blueprint.

I'll say, though, that it's a lot more fun for me if anyone will read what I wrote too, so I hope someone will do that. :)
Well, that's it!
All the best!
Bolletott

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Submitted for peer-review: My design for a balanced, multiple item handling, order receiving train station.

Post by disentius »

Read it :)

Very nice to read how your thinking process worked in making this station. I did not understand your goal in your original post, probably because I never thought of using a multiple items on a belt unload station before.
My unload stations are simple one-item bulk throughput stuff. thanks for showing me another way of thinking.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Submitted for peer-review: My design for a balanced, multiple item handling, order receiving train station.

Post by Jap2.0 »

Don't mind me, just commenting here so I can get back to this quickly when I have time to read it.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Bolletott
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bolletott »

Hey, someone read it!
And someone else is planning to read it! How awesome is that? :lol:
disentius wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:09 pm
I did not understand your goal in your original post, probably because I never thought of using a multiple items on a belt unload station before.
Yeah, no wonder you couldn't follow the original post. It was really messy, as I myself didn't really understand what I was trying to ask until I was halfway through the second post. In a sense, I guess that makes it a good demonstration of rubber duck debugging.
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging )

Anyway, I'm sure I could clarify now, if it's interesting, but in the end, it wasn't really that relevant to the final design. Just a part of my thought process in getting it to work.

Thanks for reading it. I'm glad you had fun when you did, and thought it was interesting to observe a new way of thinking.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Hey you might need to explain to the duck how your trains are scheduled (inactivity ? threshold of item ? how to connect it to a train stop ?) !

The blueprint i think i understand how it works, but having a working example connected to a station that is configured to receive trains and send orders would help !

It may seem obvious to you but the parts of the blueprint that are designed to be connected to the rest of the factory, like where it "read" items are missing, and how it send the information to the unloading part is tricky to understand ( which wire need to be extended, which constant are dummy, and which are used to configure stacksize, this took me some times and i'm not sure i have them right).

So far i didn't found out how you make sure chests are filled with a certain quantity, all i have is something that unload missing items from trains when reading a belts is empty, it does so while maintaining the chests empty though. What could i have missed ? :D

Bolletott
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bolletott »

Hi, mmmPI!

No, you're absolutely right! It only occurred to me that I should've added that after I published the first version, but I was really tired from all the writing, so I took a break. Sorry you had to struggle.

I kind of breeze by how the monitoring works in the "The order system" section, so no wonder it's unclear. I've added two sections to the document, one for the train schedule and one that demonstrates a fully functional station in my game. Everything should be explained there.

If I understand you correctly, the FIs only unload the wagon when the belt is empty. That sounds like some wiring issue. I suggest you have a look at this new version of the document and the new sections. Hopefully, you'll have the station up and running in no time.
As always, please let me know if anything is unclear! :)

Here's the new version of the document: All the best!

Ps. Sorry the quality of the picures is so poor. I just throw them together in MS Paint to keep it simple. They should be possible to read. Let me know if not.

Return to “Railway Setups”