Balanced belt/lane/chest Unloading Station System

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
NeoVortex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Balanced belt/lane/chest Unloading Station System

Post by NeoVortex »

How it works: inserters take items from the wagons only if there's enough space to completely unload all the wagons. Inserter's stack size are set to 10, so all of them pick the same ammount of items when the wagon is almost empty. Moreover, they work synchronized using a clock signal. There're a 8x8 balancer and 2 4x4 lane balancer. As a result, the chests will remain balanced, differing by 12 items max (stack size), no matter how the 8 belts are consumed. The incoming trains must have all their wagons equally loaded and with items multiples of 10. I made a test blueprint if you guys want to test or improve it. Feedbacks are welcome. Please don't talk about throughput, that's not the point.

hansjoachim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Balanced belt/lane/chest Unloading Station System

Post by hansjoachim »

NeoVortex wrote: The incoming trains must have all their wagons equally loaded and with items multiples of 10.
Why not make a balancer where that isn't a requirement?

Its hard not to mention throughput as you only get 8 belts out of 8 wagons, which makes it unpractical and just a proof of concept.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

I've built a guaranteed-equal unloader before in an older thread feel free to have a look. It doesn't care for item stack sizes, and does more than 3 blue belts per wagon side, i.e. it unloads faster than you can bring in new trains. Uses bots though.

Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

NeoVortex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NeoVortex »

Thanks for replying, eradicator. I tested your solution and it is indeed very clever. Do you have a belt-based unloading blueprint?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

NeoVortex wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:18 pm
Thanks for replying, eradicator. I tested your solution and it is indeed very clever. Do you have a belt-based unloading blueprint?
No, but nothing stops you from using inserters instead of bots to unload the passive provider chests. Refer to this other lengthy thread for how to quickly unload from chest to belt.

Note that there are two stages for unloading:
A) train to (provider) chest
B) (provider) chest to belt.

The bot based solution balances both steps for the whole train. But without bots you won't be able to balance B, even though A will work fine. I.e. without bots a slow output belt block will slow down the unloading of the whole train instead of balancing towards the other output belt blocks.

Also note that both linked threads are about experimental solutions, so nobody has done any real-map testing with them ;p.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Railway Setups”