4 Lane Railsystem with Solar and Piping (Roboport Size)

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
Stin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

4 Lane Railsystem with Solar and Piping (Roboport Size)

Post by Stin »

Hallo

The idea is to unite the rail network with the logistic network and the liquid transport. The remaining free area is to be used for power generation. The blueprints are divided into sizes that correspond to the logistical range of the Roboports.

The rail network is very modular and easy to set up. There are only T-Junctions and straight segments. If an intersection is needed, I simply connect two T junctions. Outside my own base I am still not quite sure about the design of the rail network. That's why the blueprints are not included. The only thing I'm sure of is that you should do without the pipes. I also have modular defense lines and production segments. But I'm not satisfied with them enough to share them with you.

The ratio between solar and accumulators is not perfect, but approximated. In case of doubt, more accumulators were used.

My trains consist of 4 cars and a locomotive. Here the locomotive is set at last place to keep the stations short. As long as you don't use nuclear fuel, the trains accelerate a little slower, but as soon as you switch to Nuclear they have maximum acceleration.

The stations are Circulet network controlled. The loading stations are activated automatically as soon as there is enough material for a full train. All stations send a cyan signal as soon as loading or unloading is finished. If a unloading station does not have enough space for an entire train, no cyan signal will be sent. This makes it necessary that each unloading station has its own unique name and its own train. The loading stations should be named the same after material. The stations work with objects that have 50 stacks. For other stack sizes, the 0 signal must be adjusted at the constant combinator.

I have deliberately avoided individual stations. Deconstruction of full stations is tedious and annoying. I have often stated in the planning that I still need another staton and so I have reserves in case of doubt

Here are the blueprints: https://pastebin.com/zpCcJ1t4
T-Junction
Straight
4x Unloding Station - 2 Segments
4x Loading Station - 2 Segments
Clean Segment
- Solar Segment

From the outside to the inside, I have placed these as follows:
- Water
- Oil
- Heavy
- Light
- Gas
- Lubricant
- Acid

I am still testing. I have around 25 trains at moment

I am happy about inspirations. I have also been inspired by the reading here and yet have certainly missed one or two points.
Last edited by Stin on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: 4 Lane Railsystem with Solar and Piping (Roboport Size)

Post by Stin »

i have improved my english a little bit and described it more detailed. I am not a native speaker.

I will delete this post later.

hansjoachim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hansjoachim »

I have a megabase with a little over 400 trains running smoothly in a 2 lane system.
And I wanted to give some comments on your blueprints especially regarding throughput.

The unloading station
If multiple trains with the same ore are coming in, they will block other trains coming in with other ore types.
Both unloading and loading stations
If you do improve the input, the output will limit the throughput as all the tracks merge immediately after the station. If you have a waiting area right after every station, before merging, you would improve throughput drastically.

The T intersection
The throughput of that T intersection is very low. And they will eventually be bottlenecks.

4 lanes
I wonder if you have 4 lanes because it looks cooler?
A 2 lane system can support 33 trains/min (2-4 trains). In each direction.
A perfect T intersection for 2 lanes can do
99 trains/min. A 4 lanes one can do 198 trains/min.
The intersection you have can do 20-30 trains per min. Which is less than a third of what 2 lanes can support.
4 lanes is a big overkill for that T intersection.
If you go down to 2 lanes you would save a lot of rails and signals and the throughput would be the same because it is your intersections that are the bottlenecks.

Stin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stin »

I have to admit that intersection design is still difficult for me. i have orientated myself at existing crossings. unfortunately i did not find any T-crossings that fit into my system

I chose the 4 lane variant because it seemed to fit well into a segment. I oriented myself to the 4-lane traditional from this tread. That I have worsened with it the crossing so far was not conscious to me. viewtopic.php?f=194&t=46855

hansjoachim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hansjoachim »

What if you use 4 segments for the intersections? You could have a way higher throughput then.

Stin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stin »

As far as I can see there will be little left for me but to plan the stations and the T-Junction with more segments.

Stin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stin »

Before I start with all the details. What about this T intersection? I used chain signals most of the time. I'm never so sure, though

New T_Junction

hansjoachim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hansjoachim »

With all those chain signals, and not really any buffers, it is basically the same intersection as before just larger. It should have about the same throughput as the other intersection you had.

Stin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stin »

I think I get it now. I now have buffers in all directions to pick up trains. The normal signals always come before a buffer, don't they? The Chain signals would be placed in such a way that the crossing sections are as small as possible or is that wrong? Thank you. I think the signaling of the trains is the last thing I didn't understand at Factorio yet.
With buffers

hansjoachim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hansjoachim »

That looks better. There are some signals missing still.
Normal signals at the start of the buffer, chain at the end.
If you want to test your intersections throughput you can use this testbench:
viewtopic.php?f=194&t=46855&p=383830#p383830

I prefer making intersections on the testbench rather than in my main game as it is way easier with creative mod and you can test them quickly.

Return to “Railway Setups”