Just another train station (2 wagons to 6 belts)

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
0mega
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Just another train station (2 wagons to 6 belts)

Post by 0mega »

So here is my attempt at a unloading train station. Did not see this exact design before (correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm posting it here.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 2855 times
It unloads 2 wagons onto 6 (almost) compressed belts using 4 stack inserters for each belt, or 2 per lane.
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (121.83 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
The two inserters that output to the same belt operate alternatingly due to the following circuit conditions:
- Inserter B connect to belt A with red wire, and to inserter A with green wire.
- Inserter B only read contents (hold) but is always enabled.
- Belt A is enabled if everything = 12 (maximum stack size), that is, it is enabled only when inserter B holds a full stack.
- Inserter A is enabled if everything < 12 (no read).

Essentially it works like this: When inserter B starts dropping its stack inserter A will also start dropping but the belt A will be disabled. When inserter B runs out and picks up a new stack the belt will turn on and items flowing from inserter A now block inserter B from dropping any items. When Inserter A runs out and turns around to refill then inserter B gets to drop one item in the gap, which disables of the belt and the cycle restarts. The condition *<12 on inserter A is to ensure alternating operation also when the belts are blocked and moving slow.
blueprint 2 wagons 6 belts
bluepring 4 wagons 12 belts

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Just another train station (2 wagons to 6 belts)

Post by quyxkh »

I think that's pretty much best-possible squishification there. 7 seems to be the magic number for stack size to belts, you can lose the circuitry with
blueprint
which gets perfect compression in my tests.

0mega
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Just another train station (2 wagons to 6 belts)

Post by 0mega »

quyxkh wrote:I think that's pretty much best-possible squishification there. 7 seems to be the magic number for stack size to belts, you can lose the circuitry with

which gets perfect compression in my tests.
Yes, 7 stack size without circuitry works nice and gives slightly higher compression, but only as long as the belts are transporting things away at full speed. If the belts stack up only the outer inserter for each lane will operate, putting uneven load on the buffer chests. I guess there's always a compromise for compact designs.

Return to “Railway Setups”