Making trains stop faster.

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
arrow in my gluteus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Making trains stop faster.

Post by arrow in my gluteus »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHQcxVylU9k
You can increase the (time)efficiency of your trains by researching breaking force. But even with breaking force fully researched, trains take a while to stop. But there are other ways to get trains to stop fast...
screenshot
screenshot
vlcsnap-2018-03-18-19h48m48s294.png (3.05 MiB) Viewed 8510 times
For example: by crashing into an other train on purpose.

map downloads:
faster_trains_after_braking.zip
train -> train
(4.38 MiB) Downloaded 148 times
faster_trains_after_braking2.zip
train -> gate
(4.5 MiB) Downloaded 136 times

mods: The contraption works entirely within vanilla, however some mods were used to help with building and recording (creative mode, ...).
throughput6.zip
break-inator
(7.31 MiB) Downloaded 147 times
Last edited by arrow in my gluteus on Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Making trains stop faster.

Post by mrvn »

arrow in my gluteus wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHQcxVylU9k
You can increase the (time)efficiency of your trains by researching breaking force. But even with breaking force fully researched, trains take a while to stop. But there are other ways to get trains to stop fast...
vlcsnap-2018-03-18-19h48m48s294.png
For example: by crashing into an other train on purpose.

map downloads:
faster_trains_after_braking.zip
faster_trains_after_braking2.zip

mods: The contraption works entirely within vanilla, however some mods were used to help with building and recording (creative mode, ...).
That seems rather destructive. Needs a lot of repair packs long term and you can't use any signals with this.

How about using the blueprint printer mod and instead of crashing into a train remove a tile of train track at the right moment to make the train stop?

looney
Inserter
Inserter

Post by looney »

Use a circuit condition to close a signal, trains then stop on a dime.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

looney wrote:Use a circuit condition to close a signal, trains then stop on a dime.
Huh? When a signal is reserved then setting it to red with a circuit is ignored till the train has passed. Anything else would be a bug.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Disable all the stations on the train's route. No path found -> Speed becomes 0 instantly. With some clever combinator magic plus a rail signal in read mode that trick should be usable to halt a train in a desired position.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Aeternus wrote:Disable all the stations on the train's route. No path found -> Speed becomes 0 instantly. With some clever combinator magic plus a rail signal in read mode that trick should be usable to halt a train in a desired position.
Hmm, you would put 2 stations near each other. First station is disabled, second is the currently scheduled station. Then when the train is right at the first station disable all stations. and next tick enable the first station. The train would stop and then halt at the first station.

But that would be hard to scale. You would need separate stations for every train (both pickup and delivery).

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Yea, this only really works on closed loops. Deactivating all stations in the trains list also means you can't put this on a multiple-trains-on-shared-rail scheme, since it'll dead stop -all- trains with those destinations currently in motion. But for niche loops there may be a reason to do this.

juliejayne
Inserter
Inserter

Post by juliejayne »

This seems to work with a 1-1 train..... but would it work with a 4-8-4 train..... I have seen those things plow through another train with no problem. Or does a sideways train offer more resistance.?

hansjoachim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hansjoachim »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:27 am
looney wrote:Use a circuit condition to close a signal, trains then stop on a dime.
Huh? When a signal is reserved then setting it to red with a circuit is ignored till the train has passed. Anything else would be a bug.
It is intentional! And the trains really do instantly stop if you change a signal right in front of it to red.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Not in my experience. I had a circuit controlled safe crossing that raises a gate and changes approaching signals to red if a player approaches the gate in front of the crossing. Trains tend to blow right through the gates (destroying them in the process without slowing at all) and completely ignore the signal.

hansjoachim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hansjoachim »

Aeternus wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:04 pm
Not in my experience. I had a circuit controlled safe crossing that raises a gate and changes approaching signals to red if a player approaches the gate in front of the crossing. Trains tend to blow right through the gates (destroying them in the process without slowing at all) and completely ignore the signal.
Sure you not just raise the gate and change the signal too late? Also you don't need a gate if the signal turns red.
I might need an intersecting rail for the instant stop to happen.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Can you upload a save game demonstrating this behaviour?

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

hansjoachim wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:35 am
Aeternus wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:04 pm
Sure you not just raise the gate and change the signal too late? Also you don't need a gate if the signal turns red.
I might need an intersecting rail for the instant stop to happen.
So just put a perpendicular rail section in place? Interesting. Will give that a try.

Return to “Railway Setups”