[Design] Two Cargo Wagons to Blue Belt fastest

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
Glyph
Inserter
Inserter

[Design] Two Cargo Wagons to Blue Belt fastest

Post by Glyph »

After quite a bit of thought, I came up with a compact and relatively inexpensive way to unload a two-cargo wagon train onto a single blue conveyor belt at the fastest possible speed for one inserter per chest. The design can be put on both sides of a track to allow the coveted 10 second cargo unload time.
http://gfycat.com/DearHardLadybird

It looks simple but this is actually a precise and subtly complex design. Even a slight deviation will result in lanes getting clogged. The problem is that 14 inserters (two wagon lengths) is very close to the number needed to fully saturate a single blue belt. As a result, you cannot side insert (with conveyors) along one whole lane - it will clog. You can't use inserters along an entire lane - it will clog. You can't load the top lane more than the bottom lane by more than a very small rate, or again, it will clog.

Here is an earlier iteration that has the same throughput but is much costlier / larger:

http://i.imgur.com/V1OOxhp.png
Last edited by Glyph on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Design] Two Cargo Wagons to nearly saturated Blue Belt

Post by DaveMcW »

unload14.jpg
unload14.jpg (120.43 KiB) Viewed 12493 times

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

Quick Q about this design.
If you have the stack bonus fully researched, is it better to use yellow basic inserters to unload the trains to chests or is it still better to use fast inserters?

Glyph
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Glyph »

therapist wrote:Quick Q about this design.
If you have the stack bonus fully researched, is it better to use yellow basic inserters to unload the trains to chests or is it still better to use fast inserters?
If the goal is to unload the trains as fast as possible, then fast inserters are the way to go. You could park the trains for longer and use yellow inserters if desired.

This design relies on the fact that trains won't always be at the station. If trains are being unloaded at this station 20% or less of the time, then the inserters will be able to empty the chests fast enough. "Being unloaded" means trains are both stopped at the station and have supplies to unload.

Glyph
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Glyph »

DaveMcW wrote:
unload14.jpg
This design clogs.

https://gfycat.com/DizzyUnacceptableIndigowingedparrot

edit: fixed that design. https://gfycat.com/FilthyFirmIcterinewarbler

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Design] Two Cargo Wagons to Blue Belt fastest

Post by therapist »

Glyph wrote:
If the goal is to unload the trains as fast as possible, then fast inserters are the way to go. You could park the trains for longer and use yellow inserters if desired.

This design relies on the fact that trains won't always be at the station. If trains are being unloaded at this station 20% or less of the time, then the inserters will be able to empty the chests fast enough. "Being unloaded" means trains are both stopped at the station and have supplies to unload.
Weird, I was under the impression that using the stack bonus was faster than just using fast inserters. So what you're saying is, even going from chest to chest, train to chest, or chest to assembler, a fast inserter will always be faster than a yellow inserter even with the fully upgraded stack bonus?

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

therapist wrote:
Glyph wrote:

Weird, I was under the impression that using the stack bonus was faster than just using fast inserters. So what you're saying is, even going from chest to chest, train to chest, or chest to assembler, a fast inserter will always be faster than a yellow inserter even with the fully upgraded stack bonus?
Fast Inserters also use Stack Bonus size.

bnvy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bnvy »

This design seems to have somewhat better throughput. It won't clog and is a bit cheaper. Note that the asymmetry is important - if you try to make the two halves look the same, you'll end up with a small gap in one of the output lanes, as with the designs above (something to do with the curves). I believe it's fine to shift the splitter right or left if desired.

zyrus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zyrus »

Glyph wrote:After quite a bit of thought, I came up with a compact and relatively inexpensive way to unload a two-cargo wagon train onto a single blue conveyor belt at the fastest possible speed for one inserter per chest. The design can be put on both sides of a track to allow the coveted 10 second cargo unload time.
http://gfycat.com/DearHardLadybird
Your design isn't possible anymore. Since 0.11.9 the inserters will be blocked by the electric poles and if one like to unload 2-sided you can't reach all inserters with substation.

:cry:

/Z

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Adjust it a little bit, I see multiple ways of fitting some substations in there.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Return to “Railway Setups”