4-4-4-1 loop station / inserter alignment bug?

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

4-4-4-1 loop station / inserter alignment bug?

Post by vanatteveldt »

I was thinking about using larger trains, and in a single header 'terminus loop' station it bothered me that the station becomes so big with a large number of wagons (say 10+).

Since it doesn't matter whether locomotives pull from the back or push from the rear or middle, I figured I could place the engines in the loop and have wagons on both sides to make the station more compact, reducing bot flying times for loading/unloading and halving the size of loop terminus stations:

This works good, all wagons can be loaded with 2x6 inserters, and all locs can be refueled. It's not quite symmetrical (which might bother some :)), but it aligns pretty decently.

The loc at the front is not really needed, but the first wagon would miss one inserter (because of the station), and the front loc makes it easier to place new trains as it snaps in place. Of course, you can extend this setup to any l-c-4-c-m setup you want.

(You can of course use half the station for a waiting bay, but I generally don't use waiting bays in outposts but set the train to leave when the next train approaches (i.e. red signal > 0 with the signal before the station entrance signal; or when full, of course). I'd rather have a train with some ore at the smelter / storage than two trains at the outpost. So for me the space was simply wasted...)

Inserter placement 'bug':

Now, I'm not sure if this is a bug, a feature, or just way too obscure :) But the wagons behind the locs are aligned very strangely:

As you can see, the inserters seem to be placed one tile too low: the gap is where you (visually) expect the first inserter to be, and the last inserter visually seems like it would insert into the next wagon (but it doesn't).

The yellow placement hint is also off:

Now, I'm mostly happy that you can still place 2x6 inserters per wagon, but I thought I would share ;)

(edit: and I figured I might as well report it: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51753)

TRUEpicness
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: 4-4-4-1 loop station / inserter alignment bug?

Post by TRUEpicness »

is this expandable or will the inserters be completely out of alignment so that they cant put items in?
1 more YouTube vid before bed *starts 24hr long vid*

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 4-4-4-1 loop station / inserter alignment bug?

Post by vanatteveldt »

TRUEpicness wrote:is this expandable or will the inserters be completely out of alignment so that they cant put items in?
You can expand it as long as you like, it's the normal 6 inserters - 1 gap pattern (just off by one tile)

Return to “Railway Setups”