Stations, Junctions, and all things deadlock - IMAGE HEAVY

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Stations, Junctions, and all things deadlock - IMAGE HEAVY

Post by Optera »

siggboy wrote: Yes, but I don't see how this is related to the case where the train recalculates its path AFTER it has passed the chain signal (that which is at the very front of the stacker in this case).
Sephrat wrote:Long story short: your train changed direction (it initially hadn't planned to go south) and decided to go south while in the roundabout, causing the deadlock. Expected behavior: the train shouldn't repath in between chain signals.
I've interpreted this sentence that trains will never change paths between chain signals. That could break some terminus or 2 track to 1 track crossings I'm using. I could fix it with circuit controlled block signals acting as fake chain signals though. I'm already using that instead of normal chain signals to force repathing as entrance to stacker/multi track stations.

Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tym »

I find this a very helpful post, as apparently do many others.

As you are in a position of knowledge, there is a question that i've not found any answer to, as yet.

In what you call a "Terminus" station, are signals required adjacent to the train stop entity? I can't seem to figure this one out; my current train network has three terminus stations, and one double-tracked 'unload station' (it having two train stops). Only one of my terminus stations will work on automatic, and i cannot figure out what is different between it and the other two stations.

It -may- just be insufficient blocks about my "T" junctions, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
-Tym

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Not the OP, but signal wise a station is no different from any piece of track. So, if you are merging, splitting, or crossing rail, you probably need signals.

If you post a screenshot of your setup I'm sure we can give more detailed advice :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

For stations you want the train to be in a block that is just a simple track. No junction or crossing of other tracks. Otherwise the train at the station will block the junction or crossing for the duration of its stay. For terminal stations you want the signals where you go to a single track. Everything after that is pointless since no other train must enter that track wile a train is at the station.

Return to “Railway Setups”