ROUNDABOUT without blocking turn right

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
datarza
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

ROUNDABOUT without blocking turn right

Post by datarza »

I have played a little with `ROUNDABOUT SAFE` intersection from viewtopic.php?f=194&t=46855.
This intersection has a huge issue - when train turn to right, then whole intersection will be blocked. Probably the following plan can solve this problem (if no one has posted something similar):
Screenshot 2023-02-24 230615.png
Screenshot 2023-02-24 230615.png (2.86 MiB) Viewed 2710 times

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: ROUNDABOUT without blocking turn right

Post by SoShootMe »

See 3 and 4 way intersections. I think your design is equivalent to "Roundabout+Straights" with the addition of the extra left-turn chords. These add that when a train is turning right, a train from its left can also turn left, so it should perform better; I'm not sure how much though. You can use the Testbench for 3/4way intersections to compare.

datarza
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by datarza »

I have found an intersection that looks the same and just wandering if it can be compared to understand what intersection is better from these two options:
render-5ca84b4bceeff34b.jpg
render-5ca84b4bceeff34b.jpg (166.48 KiB) Viewed 2633 times

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

The best way to test them is to use the testbench SoShootMe linked.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

datarza
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by datarza »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:06 pm
The best way to test them is to use the testbench SoShootMe linked.
I understand, but it is impossible for me. I have downloaded the mod, added blueprint, have read the description, but have no idea how does it works and how to clarify the results. Anyway, thank you.

Premu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Premu »

Hm, I wonder if the straight lines even add anything useful to the junction. For me they make it just more complicated. My roundabout solution looks like that:

It allows either four trains to turn right, two trains from opposite directions to pass or one train turning left and one train turning right in the opposite path.

The other examples above might provide two different paths for a train to go in one direction, but once one is chosen the other is blocked anyway. So the throughput seems to be the same...

The only advantage might be the slightly shorter way for a train going straight - but that's a very minor benefit for a lot more headache and lot more rails to build this junction.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Premu wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:24 pm
Hm, I wonder if the straight lines even add anything useful to the junction. For me they make it just more complicated.
They are definitely more complicated, but (aside from possible performance differences which are also affected by other factors) three benefits spring to mind:
  1. If you have built a straight run of track (eg out to some remote ore patch), you can "add" a junction (eg to another ore patch you later decide to claim) without having to remove any existing rails.
  2. As a personal preference, it looks strange to me seeing fast-moving trains "wiggle" around junctions, especially when they are not turning (which is useful in the sense that it stops that, at least partially).
  3. Rather minor(!), but as you mentioned it is slightly shorter for trains passing straight across.

datarza
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by datarza »

I have modified ROUNDABOUT for four rails (I do not know if it was invented before).

These features are perfect for city blocks:

1. Two independant rails in both directions, four rails in total from each size
2. U-turn for both rails
3. Changing the rail in the same direction, right to left, left to right, top to bottom, bottom to top - killer feature
4. Prety small size for four rails intesection with u-turn and changing the rail features
5. Stackable roboports
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (1.76 MiB) Viewed 940 times
It will be good, if somebody can test the performance for this blueprint.

Also, there is a version with bigger outbound rail path which is preferable for cityblocks. Here can be attached enter/exist which is red arrows where blue arrows are general rails.
cityblock.png
cityblock.png (2.51 MiB) Viewed 985 times
Last edited by datarza on Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.

datarza
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by datarza »

Premu wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:24 pm
The only advantage might be the slightly shorter way for a train going straight - but that's a very minor benefit for a lot more headache and lot more rails to build this junction.
Response to your question:

Score of Roundabout+Straights is 29
Score of Roundabout is 28

Source: viewtopic.php?f=194&t=100614

You build rails once, but trains use it over 9000 times, also it can be combined with already placed rails without changing, jsut put intersection over existing rails:
sfsdfsd8.png
sfsdfsd8.png (3.04 MiB) Viewed 977 times

Return to “Railway Setups”