3 and 4 way intersections

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
Avona
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: 3 and 4 way intersections

Post by Avona »

Tallinu wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:31 am
I wonder if you could put in a header at the 92 position for "MultiCross Expanded: 92" with a "See below" link
I'm fine with the way the four listed blueprints are linked to factoriobin. Just wanted to have a link added below
I don't believe that the script supports a "see below" link (and I'm not sure if I really want such a listing for aesthetics reasons...?). I've just posted them under the MC Expanded header.

I've put the link in the official comment, which is between the header and listings.

Tallinu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tallinu »

Alright. That looks good, thanks!

clorine
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by clorine »

I really like the Hurricane v1.2 by Avona. Good throughput with a small footprint.
So I made a 4-tile rail gap adaption and thought I'd share it for all the other 4-gappers out there,
even though the design work is not my own, maybe it saves others from spending time remodeling.

Hope this is Ok, not trying to steal the lime light or any credits ;) Thanx Avona for the original design!

Hurricane v1.2 by Avona RHT Adapted to 4 tile rail spacing variant
https://factoriobin.com/post/LN1tbcUT

Hurricane v1.2 by Avona LHT Adapted to 4 tile rail spacing variant
https://factoriobin.com/post/ZEsBdzR6

148x148 footprint
4-tile rail gap
1 to 6 wagons

I tested it (Throughput tester v5.2.3, game version 1.1.65) a few times just to make sure it is at least close to the original in performance and the adaption is doing Ok but maybe the signaling could be made better :roll:

Preliminary testing scores

Code: Select all

RHT Variant
Score:	 Avg.	 S1.	 S2.	 S3
Run1	102.15	105.93	105.66	 94.86
Run2	102.06	104.26	103.73	 98.20
Run4	103.57	108.80	103.86	 98.06
Run3	101.37	104.80	104.33	 95.00
LHT Variant
Score:	  Avg.	 S1.	 S2.	 S3.
Run1	103.06	106.20	104.8	 98.20
Run2	104.06	106.06	106.06	100.06
Run3	103.32	108.86	105.66	 95.46
Run4	102.44	106.66	103.06	 97.60
edit: Added a LHD variant
edit2: Damit... were calling it LHT now... Fixed!
Last edited by clorine on Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Avona
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Avona »

clorine wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:26 am
Hope this is Ok, not trying to steal the lime light or any credits ;)
I am absolutely fine with adaptations of all of my intersections. When I have adapted others' intersections (generally for LHT) I just put "Designed by [insert person here]. Adapted for LHT by Avona." or something similar. Great job adapting it! I wasn't sure that there was an interest for it or I would have done it myself :lol:

I don't have time to test the intersection today or even tomorrow, but I'll test and post it soon unless one of the others gets to it first. :D

You mention the signaling. I can go over it if you want. Taking a quick glance, it seems fine but I can check in-game as well.

Are you interested in producing an LHT version as well since you made this? We're trying to be inclusive of those who drive on the other side of the road.

clorine
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by clorine »

Avona wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:14 am
I don't have time to test the intersection today or even tomorrow, but I'll test and post it soon unless one of the others gets to it first. :D
No rush testing it on my behalf, it's in the ballpark of the original so god enough for me ;) But yes, a sanity check would be great^^
Avona wrote:
You mention the signaling. I can go over it if you want. Taking a quick glance, it seems fine but I can check in-game as well.
Signaling is probably "ok", I mean it works. But maybe an extra TMP or two can be gained by an experienced rail wizard moving/adding/removing some of the Christmas lights.
Avona wrote:
Are you interested in producing an LHT version as well since you made this? We're trying to be inclusive of those who drive on the other side of the road.
Well not really... LHT really trips my brain for some reason, but I made one anyway, keep the old noggin alive, right.. :)
I edited my first post and added blueprint link and preliminary score for the LHT variant.

Avona
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Avona »

I've tested both intersections with M = 90. And they tested 104 and 103 which seemed good to me. They have been posted under the hurricane header next to mine and given design credit as "clorine".
clorine wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:42 am
But maybe an extra TMP or two can be gained by an experienced rail wizard moving/adding/removing some of the Christmas lights.
I did look over the signals and found a couple of possible changes but thought they would make little difference. I tested the intersections without signal changes.
Center hash signals
Additional train spaces

toasterwaffles
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Nightmare 3 way intersection RHD

Post by toasterwaffles »

This intersection only works with 3 cars or less

I made this intersection to plug into Nilaus' city block base design and he uses 3 car trains for his city block bases. I'm brand new to factorio so don't be surprised if I messed up the signaling. If anyone else could find a higher throughput 3-way crossing that fits into a 100 by 100 space that'd be cool.
design.PNG
design.PNG (640.75 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
Nighmare: 88.66 TPM average over 3 tests (3 car trains)

Intersection used by Nilaus: 73.09 TPM (3 car trains)

To make the logistic network I had to do some roboport shifting. The logistic network no longer makes a perfect 100 by 100 square and I had to add a 5th roboport to connect them all. Might work on improving this in a later design but it's not a priority. This only works for 3 car trains, anything longer than that is absolute trash performance.

It's a little better, but probably not worth implementing. Working on some better designs.

Nightmare

Nightmare With roboports and power

Nilaus original intersection

Avona
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Avona »

Overall, it's not poorly signaled but I have some suggestions. The yellow dots are where chain signals should be added. The chain before the red circled rail is needed to stop trains from blocking the crossing traffic. The red circled rail indicates a block that a train's back end will still into when stopped at the chain further along on the track. This will block the other crossing track nearer to the entrance. Tracks would need to be moved to allow the other chain signals suggestions. The red X is where a chain needs to be deleted (It creates a small exit block and also is useless regardless). The blue circles indicate exit blocks that are too small to hold length 3 trains, creating deadlock possibilities.

If you're looking for this intersection to be included in the OP, the standard train length is 6 (2 locomotives, 4 wagons) so that the test results can be compared.

toasterwaffles
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by toasterwaffles »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll work on fixing it up. I might make a sized-up version to fit the 6-car train but ill work on the signaling first.

warbaque
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by warbaque »

My goal was to make in-place buffered upgrade for Symmetrical Cross 4- or 3-way intersection.
Also my rails are aligned to 48x48 grid, so intersection had to fit inside 5 such nodes.

Results if intersection is built as stand alone or if middle rails are removed after upgrade:

Set 1   76
Set 2   64
Set 3   57
-----
Score   66
Results if just built on top of old intersection:

Set 1   74
Set 2   57
Set 3   53
-----
Score   62
Size: 134x134

Media:

Video
unbuffered.png
unbuffered.png (1.56 MiB) Viewed 4960 times
buffered.png
buffered.png (5.69 MiB) Viewed 4960 times
buffered+unbuffered.png
buffered+unbuffered.png (5.78 MiB) Viewed 4960 times

Avona
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Avona »

warbaque wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:15 pm

Set 1   76
Set 2   64
Set 3   57
-----
Score   66
Results if just built on top of old intersection:

Set 1   74
Set 2   57
Set 3   53
-----
Score   62
I've posted your intersection, however my results were each 3 lower. I'm guessing that it's because I put safe exit blocks on it, which I believe are needed.

warbaque
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by warbaque »

I'm guessing that it's because I put safe exit blocks on it, which I believe are needed.
Are they? Each exit already has room for 1 train from each direction, without blocking.

Kivan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kivan »

Nice to see so many creative people.

I've been on and off factorio for 5 years now, just found out about this thread, cool stuff.

So here is my 4 way rhd 44x44.

Score 63

https://ibb.co/0VsR90P

hansjoachim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hansjoachim »

Kivan wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:57 pm
Nice to see so many creative people.

I've been on and off factorio for 5 years now, just found out about this thread, cool stuff.

So here is my 4 way rhd 44x44.

Score 63
Hey man
So a nice intersection.
But it doesn't fit the forum as all intersections on here allow every lane to go in every direction.

JP_1979
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by JP_1979 »

https://factoriobin.com/post/8-lQO5cL
FactorioBin : Can anyone fill in the blanks?

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

hansjoachim wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:55 pm
it doesn't fit the forum as all intersections on here allow every lane to go in every direction.
I, too, was shocked to discover that this is not true. It comes up occasionally on Discord. Apparently a lot of folks have been contributing intersections without that trait for a while now, and the years I was gone from Factorio led me to miss that trend.

hansjoachim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hansjoachim »

sparr wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:57 pm
hansjoachim wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:55 pm
it doesn't fit the forum as all intersections on here allow every lane to go in every direction.
I, too, was shocked to discover that this is not true. It comes up occasionally on Discord. Apparently a lot of folks have been contributing intersections without that trait for a while now, and the years I was gone from Factorio led me to miss that trend.
Which intersections lacks that?

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

4lane BufferedSuperCompact

For a right turn, the inside lane can only exit to the outside lane and vice versa.
For going straight or a left turn, the inside lane can only exit to the inside lane, and the outside lane to the outside lane.

Tallywort
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tallywort »

sparr wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:19 am
4lane BufferedSuperCompact

For a right turn, the inside lane can only exit to the outside lane and vice versa.
For going straight or a left turn, the inside lane can only exit to the inside lane, and the outside lane to the outside lane.
That's still all directions though (aside from turning backwards) , just lacking the ability to swap between lanes.

And IIRC Lane swaps tend to be bad as they lead to trains blocking both lanes for little gain.

causa-sui
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by causa-sui »

Tallywort wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:28 pm
And IIRC Lane swaps tend to be bad as they lead to trains blocking both lanes for little gain.
This matches my experience. Trains feel free to switch lanes without any awareness of what is behind them, which causes a loss of throughput for no benefit.

Return to “Railway Setups”