Liquid wagon, Flow balance

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
oyunbagimlisi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Liquid wagon, Flow balance

Post by oyunbagimlisi »

Hello there. It's the first time I've built a circuit that excites me. That's a lot of pro the player may be too basic, but I hope it can be useful for intermediate players like me.

In a liquid-loaded train system, if you cannot establish the flow balance between the tank and the liquid, the back row liquid wagon will complete its operation too late.

With this system, the liquid will be evenly distributed among all the wagons. It prevents time delay in irregular installations.

Yes I know; The mineral placer (item) version of this is quite famous, but I made the liquid one with similar logic, I hope it will be useful for someone.

Blueprint:

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
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=105093
Beacon domain & Cable access area coloring (Color Tone variations)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Liquid wagon, Flow balance

Post by mrvn »

This is indeed a circuit one could consider too basic. As in everyone should already know it. But if it wasn't posted on the boards already then it's always good to have it.

Now for some nagging:

- You need a loading and unloading version of this.
- The wires are rather chaotic. You can just connect all the tanks to each other in one line making it look neater.
- The arithmetic combinator should be turned around so the wires don't cross each other. Actually I prefer the arithmetic combinator on the side of the train stop. Because with LTN that puts all combinators for a stop close together and for expandability.
- No need for the expensive power poles.
- I usually place pipes between the gaps in the tanks. Shouldn't really be needed unless you have trains of different length. Then it helps when fluid can flow between tanks too.
- Flow between tanks is rather fast. So you can use one pump per pair of tanks to save some cost.
- I like to put only one locomotive at the front and the rest at the back. Makes for smaller builds as the extra locomotives can be in curves.
- If you care about where the combinator is placed you need a left and right side of the track version of this blueprint.
- I also have version with double rows of tanks for high throughput stations. With LTN it will only send as many trains as there is fluid available so with a single row of tanks you only get a 2nd train scheduled if the tanks are completely full. With a double row of tanks you can get up to 4 trains.
- To make this universal and expandable you could place a constant combinator set to "D=-2" at each pair of tanks (D=-1 for single pumps) and divide by D. Make a blueprint of minimum 2 wagons length and then you can just place the blueprint overlapping the previous one to as many wagons as you need without having to reprogram the combinator. (Start at the front where it places the combinator, then shift-click the next because the combinator will be blocked and isn't wanted)

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

mrvn wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:35 am
- I also have version with double rows of tanks for high throughput stations.
Offtopic

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

My take on fluid loading and unloading. 1-4 train, is what i use mostly.

2021-09-10 15_47_21-Window.png
2021-09-10 15_47_21-Window.png (983.48 KiB) Viewed 3058 times

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

coppercoil wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:39 am
mrvn wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:35 am
- I also have version with double rows of tanks for high throughput stations.
Offtopic
It's the same as yours functionally, just 2 rows of tanks for a bigger buffer. There isn't much you can do with a fluid station. Since I only use one pump per tank pair the maximum theoretical throughput is 1200 * 4 = 4800 units per second. Or one train every 20 seconds. I try to not have any station producing more than 1 train per minute of fluid as that just fills the buffer tanks and is wasted. Anything below 5 minute is high throughput. For me a design goal is at least 5-10 minutes per train.

Note: If you have 1 pump per tank then you could fill the tanks at 1200 * 8 units per second. But that's the same speed as you fill the train leaving no time for a full train to depart and the next train to arrive. That's why I consider 1 pump every 2 tanks sufficient.

Note 2: If you really need more throughput use multiple parallel stations and longer trains. 9 pumps filling 3 fluid wagons move just as much fluid as 9 pumps filling 9 fluid wagons. But the time spend filling fluid wagons vs. waiting for the next train improves.

PS: Actually 9 pumps on 9 fluid wagons has higher throughput, see viewtopic.php?f=50&t=99902 for timing fluid unloading times. Would have thought it were more linear with the number of pumps per wagon.

Return to “Combinator Creations”