Belt Contamination Sensor

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
sfreeddom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Belt Contamination Sensor

Post by sfreeddom »

Hello guys, i am new to factorio and notice that belt array is contaminated which stop my green circuit production

Then my red ,blue and assembling machine stop working.

So i design a simple contamination sensor, which stop the belt and give warning when there is contamination.

Here is the normal case.
belt_contamination_sensor_normalcase.jpg
belt_contamination_sensor_normalcase.jpg (94.75 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
When red circuit is detected, the corresponding belt is stopped and give warning signal
belt_contamination_sensor_case1.jpg
belt_contamination_sensor_case1.jpg (64.45 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
Mutliple belt is contaminated
belt_contamination_sensor_case2.jpg
belt_contamination_sensor_case2.jpg (77.28 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
Notice that we need to change item to be whitelist in constant combinator for different belt
belt_contamination_sensor_case3.jpg
belt_contamination_sensor_case3.jpg (112.08 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
Setting

Constant Combinator 1 ------[Red Wire] -------- Belt 1 ---------[Red Wire] --------- Speaker 1
Constant Combinator 1 ------[Green Wire] ----- Belt 2 ---------[Green Wire] ------ Speaker 1
Constant Combinator 2 ------[Red Wire] -------- Belt 3 ---------[Red Wire] --------- Speaker 2
Constant Combinator 2 ------[Green Wire] ----- Belt 4 ---------[Green Wire] ------ Speaker 2

Belt Condition : All signal < 1
Speaker Condition: Any signal > 0

Blueprint Code

Premu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Belt Contamination Sensor

Post by Premu »

That's a simple but highly useful creation.

You could pair it with an automatic belt cleaner which is equally simple - a filtered inserter using a blacklist to remove all "junk" from a belt which doesn't belong there.

sfreeddom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sfreeddom »

Premu wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:12 pm
That's a simple but highly useful creation.

You could pair it with an automatic belt cleaner which is equally simple - a filtered inserter using a blacklist to remove all "junk" from a belt which doesn't belong there.

That is a great Idea. I have made small adjustment to remove item from belt by smart inserter.

But the problem is that alarm would come very short and you could barely notice that belt is contaminated.

belt_contamination_sensor_with_inserter.jpg
belt_contamination_sensor_with_inserter.jpg (114.71 KiB) Viewed 4879 times

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

highly inventive :-D ++

Premu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Premu »

sfreeddom wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:47 pm

But the problem is that alarm would come very short and you could barely notice that belt is contaminated.
You could trigger the alarm in case the chest isn't empty. So the alarm will endure after the cleanup.

sfreeddom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sfreeddom »

Premu wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:09 pm
sfreeddom wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:47 pm

You could trigger the alarm in case the chest isn't empty. So the alarm will endure after the cleanup.
Yes. I am thinking to run the alarm for 10 seconds with timer circuit. But cant figure out how to do it

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

You could use an RS Latch (Set-Release) to keep emitting an alarm code until a clear signal is set.

https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Circ ... ok#Latches

For your countdown signal idea, there is a section on clocks here but I have not tried them:

https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Comb ... sic_clocks
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

sfreeddom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sfreeddom »

Ranger_Aurelien wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:54 pm
You could use an RS Latch (Set-Release) to keep emitting an alarm code until a clear signal is set.

For your countdown signal idea, there is a section on clocks here but I have not tried them:

https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Comb ... sic_clocks
That is good example. I should read it first :(

I have done it to give alarm for 10 seconds. Then, it sends a signal to inserter to pick up item.
But there is still a minor problem that inserter could only pick 1 item per 10 seconds.

Here is my logic Flow

(1)Detect belt with constant combinator and start the clock if contamination is found
(2)The clock run for 10 seconds , give signal to speaker and send Alarm
(3) After 10 seconds, send signal to inserter
(4) Inserter pick up item to stop the clock <----- It immediately reset the clock

If there is some sort of clock that ends with delay, that would be perfect.

Btw it look so messy and difficult to set up :D
belt_contamination_sensor_inserter_v2.jpg
belt_contamination_sensor_inserter_v2.jpg (186.08 KiB) Viewed 4835 times

Premu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Premu »

I think the easiest solution is to not tie the inserter to the clock at all. Let it clean up the belt as fast as possible.

The clock itself can be used to stop the alarm after 10 seconds.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Why wouldnt you just have the alarm go off when something is in the chest?
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

sfreeddom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sfreeddom »

Premu wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:51 pm
I think the easiest solution is to not tie the inserter to the clock at all. Let it clean up the belt as fast as possible.

The clock itself can be used to stop the alarm after 10 seconds.
Because the alarm somehow depends on the reading on belt. So once inserter pick up item, it turn off the alarm.

sfreeddom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sfreeddom »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:11 am
So the alarm could only turn on for the first time when something get into the chest.
The chest itself could only handle binary state (empty -> non-empty) for one time.
We may use memory to remember the previous state of the chest (Not sure about that)

Premu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Premu »

sfreeddom wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:21 am
Ranakastrasz wrote:
So the alarm could only turn on for the first time when something get into the chest.
The chest itself could only handle binary state (empty -> non-empty) for one time.
We may use memory to remember the previous state of the chest (Not sure about that)
Ah, I understand.

I would simply empty the chest after inspecting the situation and fixing the belts which lead to the contanimation. The content can be moved somewhere where it is actually needed. Once you have bots you can even turn the chest into a active provider chest to make sure it's moved to an actual consumer automatically.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Premu wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:47 am

Ah, I understand.

I would simply empty the chest after inspecting the situation and fixing the belts which lead to the contanimation. The content can be moved somewhere where it is actually needed. Once you have bots you can even turn the chest into a active provider chest to make sure it's moved to an actual consumer automatically.
Exactly. I've been using these for a while, 1x1 and 4x4 versions(bus). Admittedly, my designs use a tunnel, so its all inline with a belt. The ability to not have to worry about accidently contaminating a belt and having to spend a bunch of time cleaning it up is really nice. I use 1x1 at the open for pretty much any setup, and 4x4 at the start of any bus. Works great, so long as I remember to add it.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

sfreeddom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sfreeddom »

Premu wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:47 am
sfreeddom wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:21 am
Ranakastrasz wrote:
Ah, I understand.

Yes. That is more simple and easy to set up. So alarm would stay for long enough to notice. And bot could clean up those chest

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

I suggest against having bots clean up the chest. That would make it harder to find the problem, and the alert would go away. Having to manually fix it makes more sense, since contamination tends to keep happening if it happens once.
i also prefer just locking the belt, and setting off an alarm. jamming the source belt and letting me find the problem and fixing it before releasing it.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

I find this truly inventive, not to say over the orbit engineering :D .......

I solve this with an spliter, filter set to desired item, all ohter will go elsewere...
(suggest is to an active provider chest....)

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

If you use an active provider chest, you have to then add a method to keep the alarm going, AND if you ignore it initially (Like I do, until I get a chance to fix it) an active provider means it fills up your entire storage area eventually, depending on how bad the leak is. You are just moving the problem, instead of actually preventing it from getting worse.

Sure, its better to have your entire storage fill up with garbage than have your belts filled up.Storage is in one area, and relatively easy to fix, whereas you have to manually run the belts and/or have robots deconstruct and reconstruct them to fix it. Still, better to have your belts in the contaminated area grind to a halt, an alarm go off, and it wait patiently for you to fix it, rather than it keep getting worse while you finish what you are doing.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

sfreeddom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sfreeddom »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:55 pm
If you use an active provider chest, you have to then add a method to keep the alarm going, AND if you ignore it initially (Like I do, until I get a chance to fix it) an active provider means it fills up your entire storage area eventually, depending on how bad the leak is. You are just moving the problem, instead of actually preventing it from getting worse.

Sure, its better to have your entire storage fill up with garbage than have your belts filled up.Storage is in one area, and relatively easy to fix, whereas you have to manually run the belts and/or have robots deconstruct and reconstruct them to fix it. Still, better to have your belts in the contaminated area grind to a halt, an alarm go off, and it wait patiently for you to fix it, rather than it keep getting worse while you finish what you are doing.
Yeah. I think this is our final design of the system. And, i combine all you guy idea and separate the messy speaker part from belt contamination.

Functionality

(1) Keep Alarm unless manually disable
(2) Remove belt contamination and auto cleaned by bot
(3) Centralized Speaker Control

So Basically, i filter out contamiation signal and send it to speaker center.
Then, the signal will go in loop forever and turn on alarm as well.

Belt Contamination ---> Trigger Positive Signal --> Send Out Signal With Label --> Go into Loop -> Turn on Alarm

Minor Detail:

- Using two constant combinator is to avoid sharing signal between belt and blocking other belt on my initial purpose.
Since inserter automatically clean the belt, it doesnt matter now. Use one if wanted.

- Extra Combinator in speaker center (top-left) can also be removed. It acts as extra protection to loop combinator

belt_contamination_sensor_final_explaination.jpg
belt_contamination_sensor_final_explaination.jpg (303.63 KiB) Viewed 4627 times
spekaer_center_explaination.jpg
spekaer_center_explaination.jpg (437.63 KiB) Viewed 4627 times
Blueprint of Belt Section (You have to manually output signal to speaker section)

Blueprint of Speaker

Set up yourself :lol:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This is so over engineered... or as nosports said “over the orbit”. :D

Just a filter splitter per belt. Put items into active provider. Connect provider with alarm. Turn alarm on, if too many items in that chest.

If you really want to know it, when wrong item was on the belts: connect the signal with a memory cell / latch, to remember, that there was one wrong item!

https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Circ ... 2F_Counter
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Comb ... mple_latch
Feed the output into alarm. The last link contains RS-latch to reset the signal, otherwise you need to reset somehow.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Combinator Creations”