Efficient Kovarex Process with Productivity Modules

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
dpacbach
Inserter
Inserter

Efficient Kovarex Process with Productivity Modules

Post by dpacbach »

This beaconed Kovarex setup has the following properties:

1. Works correctly and efficiently with or without productivity modules in the centrifuge, i.e., can detect an extra U-235 that appears every few cycles.
2. Tolerant of input materials getting cut off, i.e., will start back up again properly when they return.
3. Tolerant of output belts getting backed up, i.e., will promptly stop and then start up again when allowed.
4. Easy to start up -- place 40 U-235 in the chest closest to the bottom of the centrifuge in the below image (not in the centrifuge) and just let the U-238 come in on input belt.
5. No input materials will ever accumulate in the centrifuge or in the chests, i.e., it will only ever take in the input that it needs, and will expel any output that it doesn't need to the output belts. If excessive U-238 gets put into the centrifuge then it will be given priority over the ones on the input belt.
6. No bots needed.

The reason for all the combinators is mainly due to item (1) above, i.e., getting all of the desirable properties to hold both with or without productivity modules in the centrifuge. The combinators involved create the following:

1. One RS latch
2. One counter that goes up to 41 and then resets to zero. This counter always knows how many U-235 are input into the centrifuge.
3. A few extra combinators that translate inputs from the boxes/inserters into signals into the latch and counter.

Here is an image/blueprint with two of them side-by-side; together they form a tile-able unit.

Will be curious to get feedback on this and to know if there is a simpler setup that has the same properties, in partcular supporting prod modules in the centrifuge without malfunctioning or destabilizing.

Edit
--------
Let me clarify how to start it up: let U-238 come in on the input belts, and then place 40 U-235 in the lower chest (for the centrifuge on the right) and in the upper chest (for the centrifuge on the left). It is important that the U-235 initially go into the correct chest so that the counters start up properly.
Last edited by dpacbach on Wed May 06, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Efficient Kovarex Process with Productivity Modules

Post by gGeorg »

You are using : 9 combinators , 7 inserters and 3 belt scaners per machine.

I am using: 3 combinators, 6 inserters per machine
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=84120

My design supports any module combination, on top,
- it autostart, no manual setup into a box. Just build it and let it go.
- it faster reload
- It has smart storage for dark stones for faster start up
- I can manualy insert U-235 or U-238 into the machine, or to a box, and it re-balance itself.
- manual reset for each machine. in case something went very wrong.

Try it, I am looking for your evaluation.
Last edited by gGeorg on Wed May 06, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

gGeorg wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:01 pm

When we are doing comparisons already...

I don't even need a single combinator. I wouldn't even know what you need one for for something that simple.

Just output the stuff into a chest and reinsert it into the machine endlessly and only output to the belt if the chest content is greater than the necessary amount for continuing the Kovarex process. Can be done with a single wire hooked between the chest and the inserter.

And when doing it with bots I don't even need circuit network at all.

But good if you both like over-complicating stuff.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

MeduSalem wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:24 pm
gGeorg wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:01 pm

When we are doing comparisons already...

I don't even need a single combinator. I wouldn't even know what you need one for for something that simple.

Just output the stuff into a chest and reinsert it into the machine endlessly and only output to the belt if the chest content is greater than the necessary amount for continuing the Kovarex process. Can be done with a single wire hooked between the chest and the inserter.

And when doing it with bots I don't even need circuit network at all.

But good if you both like over-complicating stuff.
Sounds great, show a s-shot. or better b-print.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Here for my bot setup:
kovarex bots

The belt based one I will have to do after rebooting, graphics driver crashed on me again while tabbing out of factorio and now I have to write a bug report.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

MeduSalem wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:45 pm
Here for my bot setup:
kovarex bots

The belt based one I will have to do after rebooting, graphics driver crashed on me again while tabbing out of factorio and now I have to write a bug report.
Ehm. You didnt get the reason. The trick is, start up Covarex ASAP.
Which means, use only 40 U-235 per machine. Not 84 as your design. its fail.
On top, your design initiate waste robot call on each loading. When ever requester chest gets under 100, 3 (three !)robots start to fly. However, it is not needed. And robot flyes back. :?

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

gGeorg wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:19 pm
Ehm. You didnt get the reason. The trick is, start up Covarex ASAP.
Which means, use only 40 U-235 per machine. Not 84 as your design. its fail.
My setup also starts up immediately once you have 40 U-235. But you probably mean the output... so yes... yet the output is just delayed only by a few minutes when you have PM3s and that many SM3 beacons around... so who really is that impatient.

Also who really cares about if it buffers more U-235 than it needs to run when you have 10k U-235 around eventually and a million Uranium ore still waiting that you are never going to use anyway even if you played 5000 hours on the same map.

It is simple and works and that is all that really matters. No need for over-engineered mess... because I find that kind of OCD stuff is just a huge waste of time and effort.

While people like OP contemplate about how to do it without any buffer with 9 combinator setups per machine and ugly wiring mess I am already long finished with the setup ... and it is up and running.
gGeorg wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:19 pm
On top, your design initiate waste robot call on each loading. When ever requester chest gets under 100, 3 (three !)robots start to fly. However, it is not needed. And robot flyes back. :?
Can be fixed by setting the requested amount lower so that it only ever requests at the beginning until it becomes self-sufficient with U-235... and never requests again afterwards. Actually I fixed that in my playthrough maps but forgot that part when I made the quick setup above in a new map in creative mode.

Like for example set the requested amount to 50, it is lower than the stack size... hence when the machine is refilled and there not being 100 U-235 in the requester chest it being refilled by the inserter from the other chest before a logistic request would be come necessary.

And the same goes for the U-238... even though eventually you need to request more U-238 anyway.

dpacbach
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dpacbach »

@gGeorg, thanks, I tried out your blueprint and analyzed it and I have some questions/comments but I put them in the other thread where you original posted it.

dpacbach
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dpacbach »

For posterity, let me note that the design by gGeorg in the other post that he linked above (with one small fix described in that thread) appears to have the same properties but is simpler and faster, so that one should probably be preferred over mine.

Return to “Combinator Creations”