Printing your own images with combinators

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
Tomk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Printing your own images with combinators

Post by Tomk »

Click here to make your own images

out.webm
(2.91 MiB) Downloaded 132 times
Because who doesn't need giant pictures in their factory?

Image processing

Each item on the belt is representing one pixel of the final image.

First step is figuring out what colors are different items. I put a short strip of compressed belt for each item in the game, took a screenshot zoomed out and then averaged the RGB values by computing square root of mean squares (link).
palette.png
palette.png (1013.13 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Since a single belt holds 4x2 items the image must be stretched horizontally or vertically to maintain proper ratio. I started with the latter approach, which is probably not the best, because most items are square-ish or vertical, so if you arrange them on a horizontal belt, they cover more surface. Most colors were averaged on horizontal belts, after I realized this.

Next step is converting the input image to an array of factorio items. Since there is a limited number of available colors the image will look slightly off, so to deal with that I used the Floyd-Steinberg dithering algorithm. The brightest and darkest items (lamps and coal) are not completely white and black, so to make it work properly some images need contrast and brightness adjustment.

As you can see, most items are grayish and not very saturated, with few standing out. Most notably coal is by far the darkest one. There's also very few yellow items. This causes artifacts on final images, especially with a lot of bright colors. Pictures in grayscale tend to look more detailed compared to colored ones.

Printing

Splitter
To make one inserter handle both sides of the belt and save some space I made this tileable design. Each inserter is responsible for one whole straight belt section. The picture is for two sections. There's also room for power poles and roboports below.
splitter.png
splitter.png (427.76 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Inserters
The basic idea is to use a filter inserter and send it signals. To make things simpler the stack size is set to one. Current item signal is travelling via green wire up. Also, the items are requested to the chest only when needed. This way you will only need one chest. To make things work faster current item signal is multiplied by 5 before sending to requester chest. There is now also a second row of filter inserters, but in blacklist mode. These are supposed to take unwanted items and put them back into logistic network. This way the printer is a bit faster overall and doesn't jam when the requester has too many items in it. This was added later and is not shown on images.
inserter.png
inserter.png (535.53 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Counter
Using clocks would be unreliable, so instead a counter is used. Each time the inserter picks up an item a pulse is sent via the red wire down. It's not important what the item was, just how many were put already, so it is then converted to I signal. The actual counting is done by an arithmetic combinator with a feedback loop to itself. The operation is identity function ("*1" in this case), so it only adds inputs and remembers them. It outputs the number of already placed items.
counter.png
counter.png (335.43 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Memory
Each pixel is stored on a single bit of a constant combinator signal. All signals from the memory are passed to the bit shifter and then all but the least significant bit are zeroed, so only one output signal is non-zero. Memory is organised into groups. The values in constant combinators are 32-bit integers, so one group can only handle 32 pixels. To get around that each group is connected to a decider combinator, that only passes the signals if that group is selected. This is done by signal G, which is incremented every after 32 pulses.
memory.png
memory.png (791.25 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Code
The code is written in JavaScript and is available on github.
Last edited by Tomk on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Printing images with combinators

Post by Qon »

Thanks for making this! I enjoyed it.

Next version: print it at the speed of the belt so you can have a super long scrolling image that repeats or prints any text strings on demand depending on circuit conditions q:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/signalstrings is a fairly useful string format. Though I should poke the author and tell him to add lower case support.
If you are up for a challenge :)

Tomk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tomk »

Interesting idea, but I don't know how to do it with reasonable amount of circuitry. You would need to use a lot more inserters for each line and make sure they all work in sync. Maybe I'll make something like that in the future.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

This is amazing =)

Tomk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Printing your own images with combinators

Post by Tomk »

I made a website for this, so you can now use it from the browser, no installing needed. Link in the op.
Let me know if you find any bugs or want some new features.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Printing your own images with combinators

Post by Qon »

Tomk wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:18 pm
Interesting idea, but I don't know how to do it with reasonable amount of circuitry. You would need to use a lot more inserters for each line and make sure they all work in sync. Maybe I'll make something like that in the future.
Watch this playlist (at least 2 videos related/4, each <30 seconds): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Le9xX_7tjb
And then ask arrow_in_my_gluteus for the details.

Return to “Combinator Creations”