Buffed Ratio Splitter

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
bw_mutley
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Buffed Ratio Splitter

Post by bw_mutley »

Hello to all!

Here is my first contribution. Since there is no "waste" in factorio, most people build their factories feeding their material lines to be filled, so they back up and the other processing demands over that material are met. This, however, can lead to small loses in time or wrong proportion of final products if you don't build your lines carefully balanced. So, there are situations were it can be usefull to split the right proportion of materials over several requesting lines, without waiting them to back up. To accomplish this, I've made this splitter using circuits. In the example, I split the main line in three "channels" 0, 1 and 2 with 20%, 30% and 50% of the main line flux. It works counting the number of picked up items and preventing the inserters to pick up again if they are over the proportion set.
3-Channel Ratio Splitter Example
3-Channel Ratio Splitter Example
2019-02-03 at 19-57-11.png (193.82 KiB) Viewed 2536 times

The first "block", without inserters, is the "Command", you can choose the ratios there:
Ratio Splitter Command
Ratio Splitter Command
2019-02-03 at 20-01-46.png (148.5 KiB) Viewed 2536 times

You can put any combination of numbers, the channels will take the corresponding ratio related to the total, whatever it is. If, for example, you want a two channel splitted 2:3, you can just set up "2" to channel 0 and "3" to channel 1. Roughly speaking, for every 5 items, 2 goes to one channel and 3 goes to the other. In the example, I am using a 20:30:50. The constant combinator to the left in the command block is just a master reset. Whenever the total itens picked up are over the value set for "M", it starts counting again. If you want to turn your splitter off, you can just turn off that constant combinator. It can be handy if for some reason you want to change ratios or want to come back to the ordinary methods without the splitter.

The other blocks are the channels:
2019-02-03 at 20-18-45.png
2019-02-03 at 20-18-45.png (128.14 KiB) Viewed 2536 times

The blue print uses a normal (yellow) inserter instead of the fast inserter shown in the example. You can - and should - add inserters to make sure the final rate can be achieved, use https://wiki.factorio.com/Inserters as reference if needed. Every inserted added should be connected to the first using a green wire. From the wooden box there should be a a inserter feeding the line, you don't have to use it in the other added inserters. This wooden box is used as sensor for filled line. If the recieving line becomes full, the items will start to stack up in the box, the decider combinator will trigger a signal which will shut the channel off, it will not request anymore and goes out of the splitting equation.

To set up the entire system, you plug the green and red wires from each small electric pole from the command tha all the channels; Then, join the red wire from the input of the Decider combinator in the command block with the red wire connecting the decider cobinator and the arithmetic combinator in the second column of the channel block. Repeat it for any added channel. For every setup you should also choose the right type of material being counted and splitted and change the channel number from zero to whatever you want to use. This must be done in the command and in each channel blocks.

Have fun and let me know if you have issues.
2019-02-03 at 20-34-09.png
2019-02-03 at 20-34-09.png (280.84 KiB) Viewed 2536 times

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Buffed Ratio Splitter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

This is very interesting. A cool way to ratio items out. I do have a question though, how are the inserters set with stack sizes? Can stack inserters be used? Maybe I should run my own tests, lol. Just seeing if you have tested this more with a few varying options.

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Buffed Ratio Splitter

Post by Selvek »

Hmm... what happens when one of the channels backs up and is no longer pulling any items?

Return to “Combinator Creations”