Circuit tracing ring buffer

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Circuit tracing ring buffer

Post by quyxkh »

So I got so tired of my brain hurting I built a tool to help see what's happening on circuit wires, this is the result. Send a white pulse on the green wire input, the wire contents will be recorded in a trace buffer entry (the + accumulators in the long column on the right). No more setting game.speed way down and trying to balance patience against speedreading or notetaking. The test rig is set up as a `>` rising-edge detector, `!=` will report any change.

snap@T14847522=1136x1824+2993.25+512.75,z2.jpg
snap@T14847522=1136x1824+2993.25+512.75,z2.jpg (158.16 KiB) Viewed 3036 times

Medic5700
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Circuit tracing ring buffer

Post by Medic5700 »

I liked your idea, and ran with it.
I remade it to be extendable and easier to use. You can extend the number of buffers by copy/pasting the bottom part to overlap to as many as you need (down side being to make it work prevents the tracing of the 'V' and 'W' signals).

and an example

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (4.9 MiB) Viewed 2911 times
(top left: Manual Ring Tracing Buffer, bottom left: Rising Edge Ring Tracing Buffer, Right: Rising Edge Ring Tracing Buffer example)

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Love it. I'm obsessive enough that I actually dislike using chained arithmetic combinators to calculate constant series, they look bulky and I don't like the result edit: I know that this is, to be kind, a personal quirk, but there it is. I've thought of asking for or modding "fusable constant" combinators, where sending a specific signal on a wire fuses them to ever after output whatever else was on the wire that tick, but that hasn't floated to the top of my idle-distractions pile yet.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

just wanted to point out for anyone else struggling with circuits like this, i discovered we can go into /editor and use the Time tab (looks like a clock) to step tick by tick through the logic.

hope that helps. that said, the ring buffer is a really neat approach.

Return to “Combinator Creations”