Red-green cable connector

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Red-green cable connector

Post by <NO_NAME> »

Notice that a few posts further is a new version of the connector which is much better than this one.
Version 1.0
I created a circuit that connects red and green wire. They behaves as one contiguous wire afterwards (besides a 3-cycle delay = 0.05 sec).
There is a lot of combinators for a circuit with that simple function. (13 of them!) AFAIK, they all are necessary.
Red-green connector.png
Red-green connector.png (307.21 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
Explanation
I afraid that after 3 hours of creating this I still don't understand my creation well enough to provide an explanation but I'll try anyway.
The circuit is symmetrical so I going to describe propagation of the signal from red to green. The other direction is analogical.
Drawing the circuit state step by step seems to be the only understandable way to do this. That's the how I created the circuit in the first place.
Drawings
Alternate use
Personally, I use a modified version of this circuit to create red-red connection. The modification causes that one of signals doesn't propagate. It's only one additional combinator which inverts that signal and inputs it to the circuit.
Blueprint String

Code: Select all

H4sIAAAAAAAA/+WYUW+cMAyA/8qJxy1UlwDXVlX+xF6rCaXg9SJBcgqh6wnx3xdC2wEFDkrHNMbbEcc2nx3buVjuEhmxZBfSAoTmmkNGi0KwFKjDFNfHFDSP
3EimD1wwLZWDTjIzclLQ4pm6/lWAztT1ShRzBZF9f0CRFFrJJHyAI3viUtHit67QLMZWgbH0g6tMhxl/FCyhhT6fjNknrnTOEgfVXtSLLrDo6JSV5kwzoeke
yRMoZg06Xx0kc33K56gqrTJR+2xcuXew850WCmIDwLI4hzymHoq4inKuqx/EbHpUAKIlctMRKdG9Q/p0HcrqQTPwkgouuQqaeP018Lq4yffL5/F9j69L+A3f
e1G/KYpn08RvNDeUoNdtfKixhCckrz81eXGbfdNO0AlLjxmyKHL7v3UM/lQQLwAaPwXeIpakp2KTf5nlByo2DiZnfbtmpxDzPHUhMU4oA/kkE+gUmYPN1Wmu
4uGze72s1L30ZbLZKB9GgtY9IJd69ofx4tXxrtiXxxrLjGo10jdulwXBq0Kw33RXGBwtezjvl9Ek26d5O4Nmd6aZ1wRwXR1mzzjb5o8Hh83PLtCkp/1t6lqK
F/a/sfyewBf/B8k6OCP2yC673pCeaWKVbF1xmmi3pwv31BHUwfA4gUf+Hrhcs/0Zc3sw9VtqJ0rEI6uuaIPlGtJXqsaE+9NE34SHixie7bcNi/dn1eteMrrX
Qm0b84yP9eI344cV2L2AqNTeKdC5ErvwDkT8Cz/vzXU0FAAA
Last edited by <NO_NAME> on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

Killcreek2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Red-green cable connector

Post by Killcreek2 »

Or just have a single arithmetic combinator set to "each - 0, output each", with the red wire connected to its input and the green from its output.
All data channels will be passed through it unchanged, with a 1 tick delay.

To split off a single data channel [eg: X], you could use a single combinator set to "X -0, output X". To split multiple channels off, add 1 extra combinator per channel.

Sorry, missed the point on first read. It is bi-directional transfer of data. Pretty sure there is a simpler method, involving just comparing the differences between the red & green wires and normalising them accordingly. But now the idea has intrigued me, must investigate for myself.
"Functional simplicity, structural complexity." ~ Appleseed

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

Basically, the only problem here is to prevent signal from looping but that's not easy at all. I had tried a few simpler solution but them all failed. In the end, I came to conclusion that the circuit have to have some kind of internal memory because it is impossible to determine which signals originate from which cable only by observing their current state. I'm not able to remove any combinator from my design, but perhaps it is possible to create a different one with less number of combinators.

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

I can't believe that I didn't think of that before. Well, actually I can. I was able to create the second version after I finally understand how the first one works. You can say that the version 1.0 was a necessary step in my creative process. Thanks for Killcreek2 for inducing me to reconsider the project.
BTW, I'm still pretty proud of the 1.0 version.
Version 2.0
This version is definitely smaller, faster and less impressive. It has only one cycle of delay (~0.016 sec). I still hope that somebody will make use of that. It is simple when you see it but it hard to invent. (Or I am just a blockhead.)
Red-green connector 2.0.png
Red-green connector 2.0.png (144.2 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
Blueprint strings
Red-green
Red-red
Green-green
You can ask yourself: Why do I need a red-red/gree-green connector while I can just use a normal cable? There are two reasons:
- It introduces a delay which can be useful during building complex combinator circuit. The delay is 1 cycle but the connector can be easily modified to provide any delay or even to have different delays in both directions.
- The connector can be also modified to not pass specific signals. In the example below an 'alien artifact' signal can propagate from right to left but cannot from left to right.
Filter example
Attachments
Connectors example.zip
Game save which shows an operation of each connector.
(635.19 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

Return to “Combinator Creations”