Empty mining outpost alarm

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
Robot721
Inserter
Inserter

Empty mining outpost alarm

Post by Robot721 »

Youtube video since I can't figure out how to embed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_HBHJJ8k5c

Brief explanation- It will no longer be a guessing game whether your ore outpost is depleted or not, this does the work for you!

Wire up all the chests at your train loading station in the outpost with green wire, and feed it into the large power pole, included in the bp. It constantly monitors that SOMETHING is in the chest. Even if your trains are loading faster than the mine and the chests are "empty" as it loads, that won't affect the system. The items will still be in the chest for one tick.

Once the last mine depletes, no more ore will be loaded into the chests. The system will begin counting to ten, to give a more than reasonable window of opportunity for a SINGLE ore to reach a chest. If an item 'interrupts' the countdown, the timer gets reset back to 0. If it doesn't, the system sends out a signal via a red wire on the bottom large pole. The default signal is T, but it can easily changed with 2 clicks of the mouse. Simply click the output signal on the very bottom greater than combinator!

That signal can do 2 very useful functions-
- It can be wired to a train station to send the train on its way to its next destination.
- A wire can lead back to your base, where the signal can trigger some lights/alarms, including speakers for .15 coming out. New to combinators? Simply wire up a light back at base leading all the way back to the outpost with the red wire, and have the light turn on when T greater than 0!

No guesswork, no time wasted visiting outposts. Set and forget, and spend time on what you enjoy doing!

Status light:
Green= Chests have inventory
Yellow= 10 second countdown
Red= Chests are empty

When you see red light, that is when signal T is sent, or whatever you changed it to.

IMPORTANT- This setup does a few tricks to successfully generate a pulse, needed for the internal calculations for resetting the timer. When the status light is green when you set it up for the first time, place a single item in the chest by the inserters in the setup, do this after you wire the chests up. It doesn't matter what item, it can be anything. Just make sure it's one item. Just so you know the system is working fine, when the light is flashing yellow or red, there should be a single item sitting on the belt, waiting for the inserter to put it back in the chest!

For more advanced customization, you can change the duration of the waiting period to anything you like. The combinator near the bottom left that generates signal red if C greater than 600 is what you'd need to change.

Potential issue- If power to the outpost gets lost and then restored after some time, you MIGHT have a false alarm go off if the ore takes long enough to reach the chests. Don't worry though, the system auto-resets to normal if anything is detected!
H4sIAAAAAAAA/9WZ32+bOhTH/5WKxwk6MEnaauM+LP9Bdd+qCTlw0lhybGRMb6Mo//tMaDIgYOwEut28RebY5nN+fW1Sfkd5guldHO2BSSIJ5NF+z/AWIieF
hKQgvIRvV4RhyYXjZjxXD3EW7d8jb+buIg/dzw9uwpkUnMYr2OA3wkW0/zCO1Uh6tFDzronIZZyTV4ZptJe7TC3yRoQsMHXcas1q0HsVAMw5uDmU9kYmS6fc
xjbDotxp5PzjuLyQWWG3YMKzndpzwWS8FnwbE6ZmiNaY5nA4viaD5ONtXpzA+Rntj5aK2RHfLiZpNHcTIpKCyPIPOii7Fwd1Pzo7lD/XFHg4GXABqR1u/ybc
1XJjwA7rsAMt7LDtFwvyaDLyO6CU//eZ8M8rjsEfNfm7taEANYE3xp7Mk0QzTTN/8i2m1KN4m7W8F5Tem3X57jTz2Xc2rsNsJzeEvR5RslxiJiO/5ZiDW+Sg
pqdc5JEUBVwV2C14NwRyMFkgL/sxRH+sFj+Yh1nQriS/qWJB5GYLkiS9YHVcf5tfifbZvhXyDBT8cnPOFyv6aq1r6TZi9KLansir2t+Y5Kmf+1A0+38imO2K
7bI3kI/FoJt0G1E7it1LVzxqXDEzdcVDyxUd6yz66/1c0woCzdjjTYmn00Q3J96PT0y8pUXiPWm8bVHy2v62I6/TRKOUvHMCqq41AdZ29C9M0wTNh1PQmmYl
7v0SZ0pEtddoNgXaaxTn2abmh69XqU7jGA8uZI6md9/QRCptbwD+L+koo8p3G33k38A4ODMem6tf57pogv1uBdYfo1W3Dz1dhQL5muISoOEmfHHoNffEdI4w
OQ1ZCtFRQrwpf/RXBBp1E14hTSfhDG8ghkjbHbj6Naol6bAfH9KD1ygRKTDLMy6ktwIqOyRIUC/cCyO7UGM35NnZ/yaDfox1xzPX+k6je4xuNINPbb0L/xak
411c2nTeJ01eLW5TnejkgAmEJuBkU0cf+tfL+Gou81Lka05Ij+boNZ329Fp60RMMhfaaUAmi/OpirlFU4KlGTlgK71VDM4TSlhb1u9Nipd6mnKHVx+7ntQgZ
lD9o0c8dPXSKmXZ/bpvUNykBqJdsIO/oA4FZyygrjm/+aG3WNc6lR1gOQjnscn1/9PtlzZHhezn0MbcAnMYbrE5y5foKnu6iWXv71i1XA01zHhb+x/gJ61mA
Jvp6NUrP/HcsLdRbZC5Spkl0RV49oGoBocp2xil05WNonI/dBwhkLrHKJEDmj4bmwq0ZFKZphkZPs2edjr5S/FZfZQ4uSY5WrdpOJGxPm+jIoMO5tLsaw+7u
frItN/BNgCwEu4u/AUt/AV6oa1TrHwAA
I intended this to be sitting at the outpost. However, this could easily be situation in your base, with the signal wire for the chest running back. NOTICE- if you're monitoring multiple stations using the same wire, you will need to encode the sum of the items in the chest with a variable (like everything + 0 = C), and have each outpost have its unique variable. You'll need to do a few very tiny tweaks to the machine I made, but if you know how circuits work, you will change it very quickly. The top two combinators immediately above the substation are what you're looking for.

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Empty mining outpost alarm

Post by gepwin »

Good concept, I had some trouble working out what all the combinators are meant to be doing. If I understand your requirements correctly I think you might like this design I was playing with for a few optimizations on yours.

The idea is the same, the first contaminator outputs a reset signal (R) when there is anything in the chest, the two next to it are a clock design (given to me by Burkhard Michalski) that will run once and stick with a reset triggered by the R signal. The clock runs for a little over 600 ticks (10 s) and outputs a t value. Up top is a bit messy but basically one combinator outputs green if T < 20, the other outputs red if T>600 and the constant outputs a yellow. The green runs in to the lights directly and the yellow and red signals run in to a combinator hooked to a 60 tick clock for the blinking.
Blueprint

Pascali
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pascali »

both prins do not work.

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vjbone »

Pascali wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:23 am
both prins do not work.
You need to download version of the game that was on this post date

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vjbone »

0.14.23 is still available I guess
Or https://mods.factorio.com/mod/blueprint-string can work

Pascali
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pascali »

Nice, thanks!

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

Nothing wrong with advanced complex solutions, but wouldn't it be more simple to wire miners to the circuit network? Instead of hooking up the entire patch of miners, find the most central miner in the patch with the highest ore amount, and read that ore value with combinators to translate it to a signal for your system.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

T-A-R wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:47 pm
Nothing wrong with advanced complex solutions, but wouldn't it be more simple to wire miners to the circuit network? Instead of hooking up the entire patch of miners, find the most central miner in the patch with the highest ore amount, and read that ore value with combinators to translate it to a signal for your system.
You are continuing the necroposting. It's not possible to read ores left with miners in the version OP was playing. The post is 5 years old and it should be obvious if you just looked at the images.

Return to “Combinator Creations”