My first Combinator Build, A Smart Furnace Controller

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
shadinturg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

My first Combinator Build, A Smart Furnace Controller

Post by shadinturg »

This is my first big combinator build. I built this as a way to teach myself how to use combinators. It took me a alot of time and debugging to get this working right. I was able to figure out a lot just by trail and error. What color wire goes where is very important. I spent a long tracking down wiring bugs.

My Design Ideas I build this around.
1. Only smeling Iron or Copper.
2 Be able to configure either Iron or Copper Priority.(set at 50/50 right now). Also configurable Max Storage size.
3. 10 stacks of Furnaces per Array, with each stack having its own controller module. One control module per stack.
4 Bot bases smelting. I plan on it being in and isolated network.
5. Stack are turned on or off based on number of Iron or copper plates in storage.
6. I included a signal processing section as I was working on this project.

Signal Flow.
D=(MAX Storage)/10
S=(stack number in the array) stack 1 is on left side.
I=(master kill switch when Iron plate reaches limit)
C=(master kill switch when copper plate reaches limit)

Its past alpha testing, just need to plug it into a real factory and really test under load and not just in creative mode.

Signal Processing unit.
blueprint

Iron Priority Stack
blueprint

Copper Priority Stack
blueprint

Test Array
blueprint

I think I have a new Factorio Pashion.

Planned upgrades after real factory testing.
1. Install switches to save on idle drain.
2. Redesign the Signal Processing unit better.
3 Include stack switching based on incoming ore amount.

more pictures

I would appreciate any feed back.

shadinturg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: My first Combinator Build, A Smart Furnace Controller

Post by shadinturg »

I found some sloppy logic in build. It was causing the stacks not to behave as I wanted. I redid the wiring and found a better way to work the priority logic. Everything is preforming better now.

blueprint
blueprint
I installed a smelting array into my current map. It's a bobs/angels modded game, but I designed these to work in any game no matter the mods I have on. I have two array running right now, with 10 furnaces in each stack. Everything is working as I want now.

blueprint

huliosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by huliosh »

Hey! Can you explain the formula(math) and logic?

shadinturg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by shadinturg »

I hope this helps.

Signal Generator

A: D=(Max Storage)/10 I break up the signal from the storage area into groups for 10, since I used 10 furnace stacks in my arrays.

B: (iron plate * -1) + 10 iron plate steps from 1 to 10 as iron plate in storage gets depleted

C: copper plate + 1 copper plate steps from 10 to 1 as copper plate in storage gets depleted

D: checks to max sure now negative values are pass to stack controllers
I = 1 when iron plate is at max storage allowed
C = 1 when copper plate is at max storage allowed

I send iron plate(value 1 to 10), copper plate(value 10 to 1), I, and C signals to stack controllers

Copper Priority Stack(cooper and iron stacks are the same minus a few wiring changes)(NOTE: this picture has a wiring error, the green wire for the copper shutdown signal needs to come from the right most combinator and not where it is now)

A: takes any I or C shutdown signal and generates a -1 copper or iron ore signal. I use this to insure the stacks shutdown at max storage no matter what. I don't want stacks running on and filling up storage total.

B: S = what stack # this is in the array. I number stack 1 to 10 left to right. So Iron will start using stacks from the left side of the array and copper will start with the right side of the array.
I put Iron Priority Controller in stack number 1 to 5, Copper Priority Controller in stack number 6 to 10.
Two simple OR functions to see if plate signal is trying to turn on this stack.
iron plate > S or Iron Plate = S Than generate Iron Ore = 1
Copper Plate < S or Copper Plate = S Than generate Copper Ore = 1

C: Prevents any negative signals from flowing and this is where I can wire in the Iron or Copper priority. Also where I input the shutdown signals. Inputs always include a green wire from the from both shutdown signals(part A)
and a green wire from all for combinators in part B. To set Priority bring down a Red wire from A and B for whichever ore you want to be priority.

D: Simple OR function
If Iron Ore > Copper ore than Pass on Iron Ore(1) signal to the filter inserter
OR if Copper Ore > Iron Ore than pass on Copper Ore(1) to the filter inserter

Filter Inserter sets its filter by the signal pass to it from the controller. I have it pulling from requester chest with 200 iron ore and 200 copper ore in the chest.

The style of furnace layout doesn't matter as you using filter inserters to feed the furnaces. I'm using a simple bot based one for test. It could be changed to include beacons and to run on belts if you prefer.
The major part of the design was to filter inserters to controller what ore and when the furnaces where smelting.

I intend to do a power saving feature later. Still thinking on how to do that. The signal generator needs work too, I've the setup running for about six hours game time now in my current map.

Return to “Combinator Creations”